is it a limited or Laramie Loghorn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bandit517

That Trials Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Air ride not fixable. You are absolutly correct about dealers. Explain to me, you pay 5k for air ride then remove it? Allow me to explain from my experience. System includes a control module, control, air compressor. Valve train, pressure tank 275 psi N2. Piping. air bags, sensors and air make up. The system
suppose to be sealed. However if you lose N2 then air make up system Behind left tail light let's air in to get you to dealer. Doing so introduces moisture to the system which is No No. All parts of the system is susceptible to N2 leak. If you live in warm enviroment and don't get below 32 degree F. you may think system is ok. But if you under 32 degree moisture freezes in the compressor and lines and you will be riding on the frame. This happens in North, rocky mountain, canada, etc. Dealers don't know how to fix it. You need the pressure the system, fix the leak, pull vacuum and hold to remove moisture then introduce 99% dry N2 to 275 psi just like AC unit. Then good luck until next failure. It is money pit. Why pay for something you have to fix every other day or convert to regular suspension. Check class action law suits. Check all the the forums about Ram air suspension. That is why I traded my 2017 and bought 2022 Laramie with no air suspension. It rides great. No problems and it is not parked in the garage or dealer. I respect your openion but I am not looking for trouble after paying 64 K for a truck.
You said it's not fixable then when on an over dramatic explanation of fixing it. 90% of the catastrophic failures are from negligence when a bag has a hole worn into it and left unattended. Like you said, it's a Nitrogen system, so when you lose the Nitrogen and it's then using air, moisture becomes a problem. I live in northern Ohio and deal with freezing temps every winter. In my case I leave my truck in the garage as much as possible in the winter so I have minimal freezing concerns but that's not the case for everyone. I wouldn't buy a NEW truck with air ride. But I also wouldn't shun one away if buying used and it had it. Just keeping in mind the cost of repairing or removing the system down the road. I didn't "want" or "need" air ride when I bought my truck. But when I was looking at a Big Horn for only $1K less than my Limited I figured if the air suspension fails down the road I'll take care of it then.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
A while back when I was getting some service done on mine, a mechanic had one on the hoist and working on the rear air bag on a fairly new 1500, he said they would be fine down south, but up here where we can get -30 or more , not a good idea.
But I have never had anything to do with air ride.

My brother has a Tandem grain truck, IHC, with air suspension, it is fine on the highway, but in the field or dirt roads , it will sway / rock bad on him at times.

Zac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L ETorque
Interesting you just explained it, it is worthless. "I keep it in garge to avoid freezing." A lot of people also install battery blankets to keep it from freezing. From your view it seems like you agree a bad design is ok? You can bandaid any thing. Why don't you keep a heater under vehicle to keep it warm some do. What happens when you travel in freezing 0 degree or less and have to park outside for many hours. May I suggest a baby blanket, it may come handy. Read the class action law suits. I am trying to give my openion to people considering one, may be I save some people from disappoiment before comitting to one. It is over 5k on new purchase and it will cost you 3k to convert it to regular and dealer will not help and if you have Uconnect 4 or 5 your truck without dealer reprogramming is worthless.

Zac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L ETorque
I want to extend my apology to the members. I am not trying to tell you what to do. Ultimately it is your decision and your money. As a car ages things go wrong. Air system has many issues and they do go wrong. There is no schedule maintenance from Ram. All you get a warning in Uconnect to take it to a shope immediately. You could be in the middle of canyonlands. Last December my air compressor cost over 2k and sat in dealership for over a month. In Jan we had 10 degree weather car sat on its fram for weeks. This happened before compressor replacement also. I dumped it. Control module $490 + labor and programming. Valve train $350+ installation and programing, air compressor $2000+, air bags $900 each + installation and programing total of 5k. Pressure tank??? Lines???? Height sensors, etc. Thanks for reading. No more comments from me on this issue

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I want to extend my apology to the members. I am not trying to tell you what to do. Ultimately it is your decision and your money. As a car ages things go wrong. Air system has many issues and they do go wrong. There is no schedule maintenance from Ram. All you get a warning in Uconnect to take it to a shope immediately. You could be in the middle of canyonlands. Last December my air compressor cost over 2k and sat in dealership for over a month. In Jan we had 10 degree weather car sat on its fram for weeks. This happened before compressor replacement also. I dumped it. Control module $490 + labor and programming. Valve train $350+ installation and programing, air compressor $2000+, air bags $900 each + installation and programing total of 5k. Pressure tank??? Lines???? Height sensors, etc. Thanks for reading. No more comments from me on this issue
WHY I got plain jane Bighorn, no extra fancy stuff, even low end radio. But then I have no need for like Air Ride and live in TX, where winters normally not go below 20's, except for Feb 2021 when it was -5 F.

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP what was the final decision? Did you buy it?

CAGEYAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Just to throw a hand grenade in the room, I have a 2017 Laramie Longhorn South Fork edition.....:
With auto air suspension. My truck sits out 365 days a year. I had one failure-the compressor junction bloc at 65K miles covered by my MaxCare policy. Truck has 76K now. All good. Here's my tailgate:
IMG_7757.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca