Is It Worth Trying to Get Dealership to Fix AC?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone, I have a 2019 Laramie Longhorn - On a couple road trips this summer, I’ve noticed that the cab gets pretty cool, but not cold, no matter what setting it is in. I did some research and saw that there is a TSB out on itOn a couple road trips this summer, I’ve noticed that the cab gets pretty cool, but not cold, no matter what setting it is in. Right now I’m getting anywhere from 63° to 65° on average coming out of the vents, and in ver small bursts 59. Is this normal?

I did some research and saw that there is a TSB out on it. I have 74,000 miles on the vehicle, so is it even worth taking it in? Anyone had this done?

Attachments

• 78899D3D-9398-4BAA-A8B5-45C06AC5147D.jpeg
    78899D3D-9398-4BAA-A8B5-45C06AC5147D.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 6
  • TSB For AC.pdf
    68.8 KB · Views: 16

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
have you tried closing the Recirculation door
I stop the fresh air from entering the cab & my cab cools up fairly quickly

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is worth a try. My dealer said the tsb needed to be done under the 3/36000 warranty but he had no clue there was a tsb for the ac

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
A TSB is not a recall and you do not get notified about a TSB. There are 1000's of TSB's, they are simply for technicians to help fix a problem. If you are out of warranty you would be better to find an indy to fix it and possibly charge the system. You very well may have a had time finding an indy to work on it tho, not a lot deal with that type of refrigerant.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Recalls,
A recall is a notice sent by a vehicle manufacturer to owners of a vehicle advising them that the vehicle has or may have a serious defect that may compromise the safety of the vehicle and that the service departments of that manufacturer's dealers will make any necessary replacements or repairs free of charge.

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin,
Recalls should not be confused with technical service bulletins (TSBs) which are issued by the manufacturer for less serious problems that affect the normal operation of the vehicle. Sometimes called "secret warranties," TSBs cover known problems and provide repair instructions for service technicians and accordingly are distributed to all of the manufacturer's dealerships.

Unlike recall-related repairs, which are performed on a no-questions-asked basis, TSB repairs are made only to resolve problems that can be verified by dealer service technicians. And generally these repairs will be free of charge only if the vehicle is still under warranty.

CSN = Customer Satisfaction Notification
  • A customer satisfaction notification: A Customer Satisfaction Notification (CSN) is preventive in nature and involves warranty or customer satisfaction issues that are non-safety related. FCA US LLC will correct the problem, at no charge, even if the vehicle is out of warranty and you are not the original owner.

OP
OP
2019LaramieLongho
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info! I know what a tsb is, that’s why I asked if it’s worth taking it to a dealer, since their favorite thing to say is “that’s normal.”

Did some additional research on the site, and it appears that some people have had them do the tsb and not seen much of a change in temp, so I don’t think it’s worth the time.

As for the valve, it’s tempting, but I don’t trust myself doing a “hack” like that.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Thanks for the info! I know what a tsb is, that’s why I asked if it’s worth taking it to a dealer, since their favorite thing to say is “that’s normal.”

Did some additional research on the site, and it appears that some people have had them do the tsb and not seen much of a change in temp, so I don’t think it’s worth the time.

As for the valve, it’s tempting, but I don’t trust myself doing a “hack” like that.
It's pretty easy , just like installing a oil catch can, remove the hose, put the valve in between and you are done .... no way you can fawkitup! lol ....

OP
OP
2019LaramieLongho
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's pretty easy , just like installing a oil catch can, remove the hose, put the valve in between and you are done .... no way you can fawkitup! lol ....
How did it turn out for you? Get a much lower temp at the vents?

Any way this can harm the truck? I know, dumb question, but I have to ask haha

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
How did it turn out for you? Get a much lower temp at the vents?

Any way this can harm the truck? I know, dumb question, but I have to ask haha
Lol I haven't done it to my truck and I am recommending it to you ....

But this is something a lot of people have done to their trucks and it actually works and no it doesn't harm anything on the truck

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everyone, I have a 2019 Laramie Longhorn - On a couple road trips this summer, I’ve noticed that the cab gets pretty cool, but not cold, no matter what setting it is in. I did some research and saw that there is a TSB out on itOn a couple road trips this summer, I’ve noticed that the cab gets pretty cool, but not cold, no matter what setting it is in. Right now I’m getting anywhere from 63° to 65° on average coming out of the vents, and in ver small bursts 59. Is this normal?

I did some research and saw that there is a TSB out on it. I have 74,000 miles on the vehicle, so is it even worth taking it in? Anyone had this done?

As previously mentioned, what is the status of the recirculation door setting?

I usually keep that control set to recirculate. There's not much point to stressing my cooling system by drawing fresh warm/humid air in while I'm trying to cool the interior.

Think about it, the outdoor temperature is 90F+ and I'm trying to cool the interior to 68 or 70F.

Unless the outdoor ambient temperature is very close to the interior setting like during a sunny Fall day where the sun heats up the interior, mine stays in the recirculation position.
I wish I could program that as a default setting like I could with my Tundra.

One of my buddies always leaves his set on fresh air but he also buys a new truck every year. :cool:

For the rest of us who keep our trucks for many years, I'd think we would prefer to reduce the stress on every part including the cooling system. And as our trucks age, the cooling system may not be as effective as it once was.

Another consideration, if we're leaving that setting on recirculate, is the recirculation door closing completely? I would guess that the vent temperature while closed should be considerably below that measured while opened, depending on the outdoor ambient temperature.

I'll try to test this theory when I'm out next and report the difference.

So, what is the difference in temperature while set to recirculate versus fresh?
And, an important question, what is the outside ambient temperature during testing?

:)

Update:

With my truck parked & running after driving about 17 minutes (~82F ambient), I measured the following temperatures at the vent;

32F with recirculation enabled.
37.5F with recirculation disabled after waiting a few minutes.

PS: For consistent measurement, I chose to target the outside center of a vane in the upper section of the vent.

I was a bit surprised by the low-temperature readings although my truck is only 6 months old with 10,000km or ~6250 miles. And the outdoor ambient temperature wasn't too crazy hot today.

Last edited:

Tommy Baugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also have a 2019 Longhorn. I'm located in TX and it has been 100 deg plus more days than we care to talk about. 58K miles and have been researching this same issue. Just today I took mine into the dealership for another issue but took the TSB paperwork with me and ask for a estimate on the cost to perform it. Approximately $1500. He said they have done a few but honestly didn't see that much improvement like others have said in this forum.

Here is mine take on it. I've always felt my biggest issue was air flow. It's really poor. One post on here mentioned they changed out the cabin air filter with a K&N washable cabin air filter it made a significant difference in my truck. Another tip I got here is to keep the air on recirculate. These 2 things changed the performance to the point where I am no longer considering the $1500 dealer option. I'm going to try this for awhile and if it isn't enough my next step is the valve shutting off the water flow to the heater core.

I hope this helps and good luck.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also have a 2019 Longhorn. I'm located in TX and it has been 100 deg plus more days than we care to talk about. 58K miles and have been researching this same issue. Just today I took mine into the dealership for another issue but took the TSB paperwork with me and ask for a estimate on the cost to perform it. Approximately $1500. He said they have done a few but honestly didn't see that much improvement like others have said in this forum.

Here is mine take on it. I've always felt my biggest issue was air flow. It's really poor. One post on here mentioned they changed out the cabin air filter with a K&N washable cabin air filter it made a significant difference in my truck. Another tip I got here is to keep the air on recirculate. These 2 things changed the performance to the point where I am no longer considering the $1500 dealer option. I'm going to try this for awhile and if it isn't enough my next step is the valve shutting off the water flow to the heater core.

I hope this helps and good luck.
I had the TSB done while under warranty, and it dropped my vent temps from 50's to 46 ish. But, if you have done, beware, have a good dealership, MX, because they Pull the Whole Dash and all HVAC system. If they are in a hurry or not a decent shop, who knows how they will put it all back together. To me, there is nothing worse than driving down the road and a squeaky dash. I still have my clamp in the truck, and if the temps get too hot, will clamp down the water pump outlet hose, and you can get temps down to like 38 more or less. See pic, all dash parts pulled and HVAC, etc.,. Luckily, my SA had the most senior tech working on my truck and he did a decent job.
IMG_1848.JPG

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I had the TSB done while under warranty, and it dropped my vent temps from 50's to 46 ish. But, if you have done, beware, have a good dealership, MX, because they Pull the Whole Dash and all HVAC system. If they are in a hurry or not a decent shop, who knows how they will put it all back together. To me, there is nothing worse than driving down the road and a squeaky dash. I still have my clamp in the truck, and if the temps get too hot, will clamp down the water pump outlet hose, and you can get temps down to like 38 more or less. See pic, all dash parts pulled and HVAC, etc.,. Luckily, my SA had the most senior tech working on my truck and he did a decent job.
View attachment 498745
That is why I haven't taken mine in ... don't want a squeaky dash lol ...

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is why I haven't taken mine in ... don't want a squeaky dash lol ...
I had it done because the dang evaporators they put in the early Gen 5's and other sensor placement was so *****, but I made sure done within warranty period. But as we all know, kinda luck of the draw, as RAM AC is a poorly designed system, especially with no HCV installed, using doors, geez. All IMHO...

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I had it done because the dang evaporators they put in the early Gen 5's and other sensor placement was so *****, but I made sure done within warranty period. But as we all know, kinda luck of the draw, as RAM AC is a poorly designed system, especially with no HCV installed, using doors, geez. All IMHO...
My 1993 corolla's A/C is 10 times better than this truck lol .... I bought my truck in August and really didn't notice the a/c until summer time ... man was I pissed off lol ..

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 1993 corolla's A/C is 10 times better than this truck lol .... I bought my truck in August and really didn't notice the a/c until summer time ... man was I pissed off lol ..
YUP, the AC is soooooooooooo poor, lol. I have a secondary AC on my Inside porch of house, and that AC is 40 years old and blows colder than my truck, which just shows how poor the design is. When they pulled the HCT valve on the new DT's, that just was such a lousy design.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The tsb is only for 2019 and 2020‘s built befoe july 30,2020 so not 2018 or older or 2021 or newer. I can say on my 2020 early july build it makes no difference if i have a cabin filter in place or no cabin filter. It blows luke warm air when temps are in the 90’s or above F. If in low 80’s it does fine.

Loyal ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L I6
I had to fight with my dealership to get them to understand that something was wrong with my A/C it would not get cold and the temperature would fluctuate. After my 3rd return to the stealership I printed out a copy of the TSB and finally they did something about it. they had to remove half of the dash and found it was caused by a BROKEN blend door. Keep in mind I heard several excuses from them but I became a pain in there ass before they fixed my 2019 6.7 2500

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye