is my 2017 SLT 2500 prewired for remote start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
just read that most of these trucks came prewired for remote start...would this hold true for the 2017 2500 SLT?

thanks guys

OP
OP
diymirage

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get in touch with John Lance on Facebook, you can find him in the 4th gen rams fb group. Great guy and very knowledgeable, he can tell you exactly what you need and walk you through it. I got a factory remote start kit from him for one of my trucks for about $40.

Link to his fb profile: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007737137301&mibextid=LQQJ4d
Thanks, I'll get a hold of him after the weekend

In the mean time I ordered an OBDlink, seems that is a requirement

On a side note, does anyone know if I can simply disable the hoodlatch signal requirement in OBDalpha, instead of running the wire/resistor ?

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don’t believe that’s an option, the aftermarket hood switch John provides is super easy to install anyways. And the feature is there for a reason

OP
OP
diymirage

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fair enough

Is there a shareware version of alphaOBD?

I seem to remember having had it once but it not working due to interface issues, but now, I only see the full 50 dollar version

OP
OP
diymirage

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fair enough

Is there a shareware version of alphaOBD?

I seem to remember having had it once but it not working due to interface issues, but now, I only see the full 50 dollar version
Nevermind, found the demo version

One question on it though, it says it only gives you a 15 minute session, is that 15 minute total, or does it reset after 15, and you can do as many 15 minute sessions are you want ?

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your looking to dump (unnecessary) cash for remote starting you truck, but your not willing to spend the $50 for the program that will help you enable this?? I'm sorry but AlfaOBD is the reason your able to accomplish this and I'm sure the developers have invested greatly to give this ability to us, but you go ahead and try this done within the "15 minute" trial period. LOL
Sorry for the rant but I have seen many others who had this mentality, only to then ask other members of the forum if they live close by, so they can bail them out of all the mistakes they made in said 15 minute time challenge. Good luck

mrack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have to agree with jr, alfaobd is a great thing to have available for future use anyways. And the necessary changes will take more then 15 minutes.

OP
OP
diymirage

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your looking to dump (unnecessary) cash for remote starting you truck, but your not willing to spend the $50 for the program that will help you enable this?? I'm sorry but AlfaOBD is the reason your able to accomplish this and I'm sure the developers have invested greatly to give this ability to us, but you go ahead and try this done within the "15 minute" trial period. LOL
Sorry for the rant but I have seen many others who had this mentality, only to then ask other members of the forum if they live close by, so they can bail them out of all the mistakes they made in said 15 minute time challenge. Good luck
No worries

I'm just looking at the total "investment"

OBDlink, 65
AlphaOBD. 50
Wire harness 40
Key fobs. 25

That's 185 total, that's pretty close to the price of a plug and play kit

Now, if I can use the link and software to also install a remote start on the wife's winter beater, that would change the overall cost

I've read through the first fifty pages of the alphaOBD thread, and so far it looks all the software does (or, all it is used for) is DRLs and fancy start up pictures when you turn the ignition on

Doesn't sound like it's worth the price of admission if that's all there is too it

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Suggest you do some more reading, the software will do way much more than those two items.

OP
OP
diymirage

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Suggest you do some more reading, the software will do way much more than those two items.
Im sure it does, im just saying, the first 50 pages (of a 1400 page thread) seemed to focus on that

Im hoping to use it to lower the TMPS light threshold, for one

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
You can - on the very first post are links to some of the common things people change - there's one for TPMS, walks you thru the process, with screenshots. It's easy, did it both my sons 2500 and my 3500.

OP
OP
diymirage

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok here is where i am at, the OBDlink should be delivered tomorrow
alphaOBD is paid for and installed on the phone
im still working on a set of keys (i think i only have one for the truck so i figured i would simply buy a new one with remote start button and program it to the truck)

now, here is my question, i removed pin 11 from the BCM and i thought i had one of those pins kicking around from a different project BUT it is just a hair to big SO, can i cut the existing wire, and ground it?

according to this file, that pin needs to be removed and taped off anyway?

OP
OP
diymirage

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
allright gents, this is where im at

i went in under the dash and cut the wire going to pin 11 (read later it goes through the firewall and dead ends under the fusebox, in retrospect, had i known that i would have grounded it there, instead of cutting it under the dash)

so, cut it, ground the end going into the BCM

then went into alfaOBD and set
remote start present:yes
hood latch present:yes
hood latch resistor: 500 OHM

reset RF hub

as soon as my key inlays get here ill be all set
(i opened the keys and with by moving the contact around i can get it to remote start no problem)

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
allright gents, this is where im at

i went in under the dash and cut the wire going to pin 11 (read later it goes through the firewall and dead ends under the fusebox, in retrospect, had i known that i would have grounded it there, instead of cutting it under the dash)

so, cut it, ground the end going into the BCM

then went into alfaOBD and set
remote start present:yes
hood latch present:yes
hood latch resistor: 500 OHM

reset RF hub

as soon as my key inlays get here ill be all set
(i opened the keys and with by moving the contact around i can get it to remote start no problem)
FYI, you may or may not have already need fully wired. I made a video explaining how to confirm that here: