Is there ANY "Fix" for these poor Ram Transfer Cases?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Well John it's on we have to meet and do something spectacular. [emoji16] We may be put on a no fly list though lmao. Just a little blurt but once my cam is in my truck and it's running again I may and or may not be working on paddle shifters for the ram. [emoji6]

I'm not sure I can live up to their expectations.
I think they have overrated me. You, on the other hand, are exactly the genius they are talking about

New cam? OEM went bad or ?

Paddle shifting is the bomb. The only experience I have with paddle shifting was driving a Ferrari - oh! what fun.

Cheers!

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I'm not sure I can live up to their expectations.
I think they have overrated me. You, on the other hand, are exactly the genius they are talking about

New cam? OEM went bad or ?

Paddle shifting is the bomb. The only experience I have with paddle shifting was driving a Ferrari - oh! what fun.

Cheers!
Yeah lifter dropped. I went aftermarket something nice n lumpy. Paddles will be fun. 8 speed is easy 6 speed may take more work but I'll have to try to figure it out for the ones who likes to play too. [emoji57] Got the paddles and stuff sitting there but I have to get it running too.
And you seem to know ur way around these trucks pretty good too, I definately wouldn't say I'm a genus. Haha I'm a long way off from that.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Oh yeah I forgot to ask @50BMG does the paperclip have the plastic coating on it or is it bare metal. [emoji23]

OP
OP
50BMG

50BMG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh yeah I forgot to ask @50BMG does the paperclip have the plastic coating on it or is it bare metal. [emoji23]

Hmmm... Hadn't thought about that...
Bare Metal probably. That way, you can use it later to short a high-tension power line and take out the power grid of the local town...
:eek:

Paddle shifters are kinda cool... Not sure my pickup truck would be a place I would want/need them though. Already have the +/- shift button on the steering wheel if I need it; not exactly the same, but...

My son and I got to test drive a brand new 5.0 Mustang GT a couple weeks ago with the 10 speed auto/paddle shifters. They work pretty well and they sure do take the idiot (driver) out of the equation when it comes to driving fast... I was trying it so I can decide what tranny I want on the next car project which will hopefully be a newer (probably 2018) Mustang GT. Add a Supercharger, the works...
Fords Gen.3 Coyote engine they use in the 2018-2020 5.0 Mustang is pretty amazing. Bolt on a Stage 2 blower setup (@$8K-$9K depending upon the brand) to them, tune them right and get close to 700 RWHP. Tune it for E-85, bolt on a different pulley diameter and make even MORE HP!
After the test drive I did, that one will probably be a paddle shifted 10 speed...

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
read this whole thread with interest. just picked up a 2016 1500 bighorn a couple weeks back, reading of the 44-44 TC, wanted to see what it could do. took a drive to the mountains today, found an area with 6-8"of snow, went in with 2wd until got stuck in a spot, switched it into 4wd high and it pulled right out of the spot was stuck in. is my 1st 4wd vehicle and am not an off roader but wanted something for the occasional bad weather, seems to be ok for snow conditions but have not tried in mud or sand. am sure will be ok for my type of use it gets. would still like to find a locking hub set for it but not much available and no reviews on the set made by ( therammaninc ).

OP
OP
50BMG

50BMG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
read this whole thread with interest. just picked up a 2016 1500 bighorn a couple weeks back, reading of the 44-44 TC, wanted to see what it could do. took a drive to the mountains today, found an area with 6-8"of snow, went in with 2wd until got stuck in a spot, switched it into 4wd high and it pulled right out of the spot was stuck in. is my 1st 4wd vehicle and am not an off roader but wanted something for the occasional bad weather, seems to be ok for snow conditions but have not tried in mud or sand. am sure will be ok for my type of use it gets. would still like to find a locking hub set for it but not much available and no reviews on the set made by ( therammaninc ).

So long as you stay rolling, the stock 4wd in the Ram will keep you moving. If you stop in a poor traction condition, there is some rear tire slippage required to get the fronts rotating under power again.
The 4 wheel lockup is all done through the transfer case.
Brandon's switch will do what you are looking for if you desire zero slippage for 4 wheel lockup.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So long as you stay rolling, the stock 4wd in the Ram will keep you moving. If you stop in a poor traction condition, there is some rear tire slippage required to get the fronts rotating under power again.
The 4 wheel lockup is all done through the transfer case.
Brandon's switch will do what you are looking for if you desire zero slippage for 4 wheel lockup.

if all that is needed is to apply 12vdc to the clutch it sure seems like it could be done in the program. just for example there is a device called a power vision I have for my Harley that can change and adjust many perimeters in the program of the computer for mods made, would be nice if something like that was available to reprogram some of the tasks on these trucks where one could make a simple change in the TC program.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Honestly I wish it were that easy like the Harley. Worst part is fca programmers have this stuff locked per say to any public modifications. Unless there is some coder out there that can get into the transfercase control module and change its parameters. But seeing as there is so little to change in that module I think many see it pointless to try. As said before Ford used the same t case for years without any issue they just locked it right up but dodge makes things hard... Hard enough to the point you have to send your pcm out to get unlocked for a simple tune and as far as I knoe there isn't any t case tuning option there either.

At the end of the day I like the kiss saying. Keep it simple stupid. It's definately easier to just plug the harness in and be done knowing you don't have to pay for a tuner or licences that lock it to that truck or anything like that. Plus there is no footprint with the harness won't void warranty if it's taken out before getting work done like there would be with a tune or program modification. And it can be changed from truck to truck depending on year and t case.
I do wish it were simpler but that's the joy of this electronic age.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Honestly I wish it were that easy like the Harley. Worst part is fca programmers have this stuff locked per say to any public modifications. Unless there is some coder out there that can get into the transfercase control module and change its parameters. But seeing as there is so little to change in that module I think many see it pointless to try. As said before Ford used the same t case for years without any issue they just locked it right up but dodge makes things hard... Hard enough to the point you have to send your pcm out to get unlocked for a simple tune and as far as I knoe there isn't any t case tuning option there either.

At the end of the day I like the kiss saying. Keep it simple stupid. It's definately easier to just plug the harness in and be done knowing you don't have to pay for a tuner or licences that lock it to that truck or anything like that. Plus there is no footprint with the harness won't void warranty if it's taken out before getting work done like there would be with a tune or program modification. And it can be changed from truck to truck depending on year and t case.
I do wish it were simpler but that's the joy of this electronic age.

that is likely the same for all of the auto makers that their program is locked. I think that motorcycles are not as of yet regulated as heavily as the auto industry therefore is easier to make modifications to the program.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
that is likely the same for all of the auto makers that their program is locked. I think that motorcycles are not as of yet regulated as heavily as the auto industry therefore is easier to make modifications to the program.
There's the fact they're not as regulated for sure. I also think the canbus system makes it a bit harder considering one computer is linked and talking to upwards of 15 other computers if there is an anomaly in one they all go bezerk lol. It's a royal pain. I miss just adding a few jet sizes for mods and adjusting timing as need be. It doesn't need to be so difficult.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
There's the fact they're not as regulated for sure. I also think the canbus system makes it a bit harder considering one computer is linked and talking to upwards of 15 other computers if there is an anomaly in one they all go bezerk lol. It's a royal pain. I miss just adding a few jet sizes for mods and adjusting timing as need be. It doesn't need to be so difficult.

for sure I do miss the good old days of simplicity.