Is this a good deal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blu3s94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys. I am getting this 2019 Ram 2500 for $39,000. Msrp is $45,945... is this a good deal?

There is 1 condition... the vehicle has about 100 hail dents. They are supposed to have the PDR guys fixing this by Wednesday. For now I just gave a $1,000 deposit to make sure its fixed correctly before contract. What are your thoughts on the price and PDR for hail damage? There was a lot on the hood, roof and fenders. But they are all very small. A couple medium size on the hood.

They ensured me it would be fixed completely and you would never know... 594d4102d38fa75b44d5e54ccae0a5f1.jpg53bc85702d497d08cbb1ab8575f8a77a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
That's a terrible deal. Not even taking the hail damage in to account. My MSRP was 54K I walked out the door at just over 40K. Granted the truck was a 2016 MY and it was almost 2017.

Edit:
Listen you don't ever want to negotiate a car deal in person. You want to contact the internet sales person and work out a deal over e-mail. I didn't even sign the contract at the dealership. They brought all the paperwork to me when they dropped the truck off at my house.
Do a LOT of research find out what the average selling price is and then low ball the **** out of them. Shop around to as many dealerships as you can and pit them against each other.
There are a ton of articles and probably books even on how to negotiate the price on a new car.
This is a big purchase and you could end up paying THOUSANDS more than you should.
It's worth some effort, do your due diligence and make informed decisions.

Last edited:

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For what it's worth: I paid $37000 ($36750 after an Allstate rebate) for my 2019 Bighorn CC 4WD, tow package, north package, level 2, and a couple other things in January 2019. Sticker on my truck was $50k. So I would say it was a lousy deal but that's compared to what I got. I wouldn't pay that for a hail-damage truck.

OP
OP
B

blu3s94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
B

blu3s94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's a terrible deal. Not even taking the hail damage in to account. My MSRP was 54K I walked out the door at just over 40K. Granted the truck was a 2016 MY and it was almost 2017.
Yes but this is a 2019... for today and only today I'm asking is it a good deal. My 2015 was totalled 3 weeks ago so for me there is no waiting. I have 2 days left before insurance takes my rental.

The hail damage is supposed to be completely fixed. No paint or body work. Just paintless dent removal.

I understand when 2020 comes on the lot it may be a steeper discount. But for now I just need to know I'm getting the best deal that's available at this time

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
For me, $1500 Id get a new undinged one.
But Ive always negotiated about $10k off sticker...so that should give you a good place to start.

OP
OP
B

blu3s94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For what it's worth: I paid $37000 ($36750 after an Allstate rebate) for my 2019 Bighorn CC 4WD, tow package, north package, level 2, and a couple other things in January 2019. Sticker on my truck was $50k. So I would say it was a lousy deal but that's compared to what I got. I wouldn't pay that for a hail-damage truck.
Wow. How did you get that deal? I qualify for all available incentives right now. (Bonus cash, military etc.)

I have gone to 2 dealers. One came at me with 40k being there bottom dollar. And now this one at 39k. I'm not really taking the fact of hail damage into account... but for what its worth they could fix the hail damage and sell it to me never knowing it had hail damage. They are tiny dents. Almost invisible at some angles.

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
Yes but this is a 2019... for today and only today I'm asking is it a good deal. My 2015 was totalled 3 weeks ago so for me there is no waiting. I have 2 days left before insurance takes my rental.

The hail damage is supposed to be completely fixed. No paint or body work. Just paintless dent removal.

I understand when 2020 comes on the lot it may be a steeper discount. But for now I just need to know I'm getting the best deal that's available at this time

No. No it is not a good deal.

OP
OP
B

blu3s94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You’d be much better off getting a leftover 2018. There are huge discounts to be had on the 6.4s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. And like the 2018 more myself. However there are literally like 2 left. But both are 2wd at one of the biggest chrysler dealers in my city.... used yes there are some. But I would rather stay new

NoveskeFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab Short Bed Copperhead Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
The hail damage may very well be fixed to like new, but the value (resell value) of the truck will very likely be affected if it makes it in a vehicle history report. It might be worth renting an econocar if you need more time to get the right truck at the right price.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
The hail damage may very well be fixed to like new, but the value (resell value) of the truck will very likely be affected if it makes it in a vehicle history report. It might be worth renting an econocar if you need more time to get the right truck at the right price.
True, because I'm sure the car dealership got an insurance check.

OP
OP
B

blu3s94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I just put a call into another dealer to see if they can beat it! I was a bit surprised everyone saying its a bad deal.

I personally think 7k off is a good deal for a TRADESMAN. I think the more MSRP it is the more you get off. Just in my experience thats how its been. The dealbreaker is the hail damage. Which again will be fixed with paint less dent removal and will not be on any report whatsoever that could ever effect resale.

If I can find one for the same price or less without hail damage than I will absolutely buy that truck!

Thank for the info guys

OP
OP
B

blu3s94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
True, because I'm sure the car dealership got an insurance check.
The sales manager personally told me they did not and are fixing it out of pocket.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it didn't have the hail damage, I would say it is not bad. But I wouldn't pay that for that one. Good luck. And no matter what, if you feel comfortable paying whatever for it, it's up to you. It's your money and going to be your truck!

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
The sales manager personally told me they did not and are fixing it out of pocket.

o_O Ive never have seen a dealer that doesn't have insurance. I can assure you, they've been paid. My buddy is the painter at a local Toyota dealership, they get hail, they get pad and sell them as is, or fix them for pennies on the dollar what insurance paid. I can assure you they aren't fixing out of their pocket.
100 dents, at say $40 each...$4000? Id be leery...

spinxt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
That's a terrible deal. Not even taking the hail damage in to account. My MSRP was 54K I walked out the door at just over 40K. Granted the truck was a 2016 MY and it was almost 201

Edit:
Listen you don't ever want to negotiate a car deal in person. You want to contact the internet sales person and work out a deal over e-mail. I didn't even sign the contract at the dealership. They brought all the paperwork to me when they dropped the truck off at my house.
Do a LOT of research find out what the average selling price is and then low ball the **** out of them. Shop around to as many dealerships as you can and pit them against each other.
There are a ton of articles and probably books even on how to negotiate the price on a new car.
This is a big purchase and you could end up paying THOUSANDS more than you should.
It's worth some effort, do your due diligence and make informed decisions.

couldn’t agree more...I never deal with a sales person on the floor. Always negotiate with the internet sales manager. Works every time. I just purchased a 19 Laramie, I was literally in the dealership for less than 20 minutes to sign the paperwork before I drove off