It's a labor of love

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As we know, bringing a 2nd generation Dodge Ram backs to its glory is more a labor of love then a investment for cash. As some may know in here. I have been doing that to my late wife 1999 Ram 1500. This truck will be passed down to our daughter once my time is done here and my goal is to bring it back to its former glory. ( That was her wishes)

I am going to have the transmission rebuilt this coming year. The motor is strong and runs great. Dash....Well that's in the works. I got the new bezel and should be ordering the top dash part this week but the main structure needs work. Found that at a salvage yard( They don't like the term Junk Yard these day's.lol) but had the daughter car so when I put it in the truck. Forgot the lid struts didn't work and boom it fell down and smashed it so my great deal of $40 bucks went to pieces. That was my fault. Anyway, I believe I may be able to take two and make one so not all is lost. As most know some parts are very hard to find.

Next will replacing brake system all the way around with new drums, discs and parts. Interior more cleaning up with new head liner and driver seat cushion and cover. Steering wheel leather replaced. I was under the truck the other day and both upper and lower ball joints looked bad so that's on the list as well. I'm sure more will come my way as I go through her but over all the truck is in really good condition. My wife was good keeping it well taken care of. She bought it used in 1999 before we met. I believe it had 21,000 miles on it. It still has low millage 162,000 on it. I believe I have the time at 53 to meet my goals with it. Money as always will predict the time line on it completion. I do have a transmission guy I know is honest and will do it for $2,200 with a 3 year warranty which I feel is very fair. This truck has been my therapy for my loss and helps me feel good about its purpose. Don't worry. I'm not asking for any help money wise. I would love to hear others reasons for their labor of love on their trucks.

Thanks for reading this and good luck with your projects.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Sorry for your loss, it's always a tough thing and I'm happy for you that you found something to ease the pain, good luck on the build and keep truckin!!

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you both. I have known the transmission guy for some years now and not only is he good but honest as well. He has given me some help in the past to save money. The truck is in pretty good condition so its more cosmetic things that need to be brought back up. Some mechanical but nothing unexpected for a 21 year old truck. The motor is strong and runs smooth.Starts on the first crank with no problems. Our daughter will continue the love for the truck as my wife did. I will post some good pictures of it soon. She took real good care of this truck. It still looks very close to the day she bought it. Paint still shines when waxed. Interior shows signs of use but most of it will clean up. Anyway, Thanks again and I hope to see some good stories of other pride and joy trucks.

Blambram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1994 AND 1999
Engine
5.9 AND 5.2
my condolences to you , her spirit lives on through that truck and your love of her...

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im sorry to hear about your wife. Agreed her spirit lives on through the truck! Your daughter will love and appreciate the fact you kept it around and redid it for her. Welcome to the Ramforum!

OP
OP
S

Sirriggs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you so much. It honestly been good therapy for me. Our daughter loves that truck as much as her mom and it will continue on as part of the family. The truck its self looks really good. Interior shows signs of being used but that mostly cosmetic that a easy fix. Paint looks great as if but a good buff and wax would make it shine even more. Thanks again guys.

Reactions: Mop