Jerking - Shuttering on Take off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justin peck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
Alright, Im hoping you guys can help because I am out of ideas. The last few times I have hooked up to my 5th Wheel, when I take off from a dead stop I get a really bad shake until I hit about 2000 RPM. It has the notorious 68RFE
I first thought the trailer brakes were locked up so I disconnected the trailer brakes, no change.
I then tried turning the traction control off, no change.
I took it in to a very reputable transmission shop, he told me they dis not see anything wrong with the transmission, no codes, no metal, desired line pressures and actual line pressures are good. The shop didnt find anything.

I elected to upgrade the valve body, accumulators, solenoid pack and accumulator plate, while they had the pan off.

He was very honest and told me they didnt fix anything, because they didnt see anything wrong.

Well my problem is still there, when I take off from a dead stop, the truck jerks pretty violently. As you can see from the video, the RPM's dont surge, so I dont think Im slipping.

Any ideas? Here is a link to the video

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
People tend to forget, or they were never taught

Automatic Transmissions is a shortened name
It should read semi automatic transmissions

Your automatic transmission should be taking off in 2 nd gear under load, even though you position the shifter in Drive.
The automatic transmission is used to you driving without pulling any weight & if you pulled that heavy load all of the time.
The transmission would automatically select a different MAP, there are 40 Maps, if i am not mistaken.

Next time you are pulling that heavy RV or other trailer, take off in Gear #1 if you are starting off from a start on a uphill grade.
Use Gear #2 if you are starting off on flatter ground, after you have driven about 10 - 15 car lengths, shift into 3rd gear for 5 car lengths, by then, you should rolling fast enough to smoothly shift into Drive.

You are using TOW Mode when pulling a full trailer, i hope

Even the newest Automatic Transmissions need manual selection at times.

I quit driving larger trucks in 2003, even some of the terminology has changed

You don't need to watch this, it is about the transmission that many members in here want in their HD Rams, just a teaser :)

Last edited:

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I don't know what "Belleville" you're from but if you're near DE I'd take it to Muldoon's for a proper diag.
Another thought is if you have a 2 piece driveshaft check u-joints and carrier bearing. Also shimming the carrier bearing down will help the driveline angles and the shudder may go away.

OP
OP
J

justin peck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
I don't know what "Belleville" you're from but if you're near DE I'd take it to Muldoon's for a proper diag.
Another thought is if you have a 2 piece driveshaft check u-joints and carrier bearing. Also shimming the carrier bearing down will help the driveline angles and the shudder may go away.

Bellville Tx. I have a one piece drive shaft.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My gasser does something similar with a heavy trailer but not quite that bad. Seems worse when the truck and/or outside temp is hotter. Also seems worse when turning, like away from a curb back into the road. I've just lived with it so I don't really an answer but am curious if your situation is worse when hot or when turning? The turning thing with mine has always made me suspicious of the rear end binding. It actually feels somewhat similar to the drag you get when turning with 4WD engaged.