Junkyard block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank A Guerra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone.i have a o2 dakota 4.7 l I have a block that's bored out an deck already new oversize pistons.bearings .water pump oilpump.the machine shop will not press my pistons to my rods because I didn't mark them.i told them its not there problem.but no.so I would need to buy new ones which will cost over two bills.well I could get a whole engine from junkyard for 150.00 the engine looks goods.should I get it or not.whats the pros an cons.ty

Sent from my W-U300 using Tapatalk

Noleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello everyone.i have a o2 dakota 4.7 l I have a block that's bored out an deck already new oversize pistons.bearings .water pump oilpump.the machine shop will not press my pistons to my rods because I didn't mark them.i told them its not there problem.but no.so I would need to buy new ones which will cost over two bills.well I could get a whole engine from junkyard for 150.00 the engine looks goods.should I get it or not.whats the pros an cons.ty

Find a new shop. Or spend the extra $50 and buy new so you know what you’re getting. You could spend $150 and find crap inside that junkyard motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

Find a new machine shop. It doesn't matter if you bring them in a cardboard box with the caps removed. The caps will only fit one rod perfectly since they are a cracked cap design.

The connecting rods only point one direction while on the crankshaft so it's not that difficult to figure out. As long as your current connecting rods are in good shape I wouldn't waste any money buying salvage yard connecting rods. All you need is a new machine shop.

Where are you located? Need help finding a good machine shop? Just ask.

MayerMR

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 & 2014
Engine
3.7 & 3.0 EcoDiesel
I agree, that shop is being ridiculous. I assume you'll be using new wrist pins as well new rod bearings, why they hell should they care?

Or just send them to City Motor Supply in Dallas and they'll do it for you for $92 out the door with a 1 day turnaround.

OP
OP
F

Frank A Guerra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Totally agree.
That's what I told them .I told them it doesn't matter if they are mark or the caps are not in order.im the paying customer an I had already spent over 500.00 here. My dad an I use to go to this place all the time. But not no more .I am in San antonio.the place is called mission auto parts.yes I do need help looking for a new shop to go too.i need to get this on the road.im about to shoot my other truck...lol. Another dodge

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That's what I told them .I told them it doesn't matter if they are mark or the caps are not in order.im the paying customer an I had already spent over 500.00 here. My dad an I use to go to this place all the time. But not no more .I am in San antonio.the place is called mission auto parts.yes I do need help looking for a new shop to go too.i need to get this on the road.im about to shoot my other truck...lol. Another dodge

Arlington Automotive Machine
511 E. Main St.
Arlington, TX 76010

817-261-9022
Ask to speak with Eddie (Owner)

My mom and Dad and my Godfather have been friends with the owner and his father Ed, who started the machine shop in the 60's. This is the best machine shop in the DFW metroplex in my opinion.

Note: I do not receive any type of monetary gain from recommending this shop. I trust them and they have always done quality machine work for my family.

For a 2nd recommendation:

Dennis Wells Machine Shop
1303 Crest Ln. Dr.
Duncanville, TX 75137

(972) 298-9900

I have used this shop many times. They also have a very nice Dynojet In-Ground Chassis Dyno available for tuning.

MayerMR

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 & 2014
Engine
3.7 & 3.0 EcoDiesel

Hey you're a lucky guy - there is another branch location of City Motor Supply in San Antonio, TX. I'd go there.

Also, see my note in the private message response I sent to you - if you have a decked head on that 4.7L, then you may need to run pistons with a reduced crown. Best make sure you have the right ones before you have them put them on the rods!

OP
OP
F

Frank A Guerra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey you're a lucky guy - there is another branch location of City Motor Supply in San Antonio, TX. I'd go there.

Also, see my note in the private message response I sent to you - if you have a decked head on that 4.7L, then you may need to run pistons with a reduced crown. Best make sure you have the right ones before you have them put them on the rods!
City motor supply.isnt that off of San Pedro

MayerMR

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 & 2014
Engine
3.7 & 3.0 EcoDiesel
City motor supply.isnt that off of San Pedro

Not sure, I've never been to San Antonio. I just saw that they had a location in San Antonio when I was looking up their services on their website.