Rebuilding off a Block what all do i need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muddaddy98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8-5.9 360
So pretty much buying a 360 Magnum block, it will be bored/honed/hot tank cleaned and come with
-new cam bearings
-new freeze plugs
-stock pistons
-stock pistons
-timing cover
-harmonic balancer/lower pulley

My question is what else do I need to get it as a fully function engine and what would you recommend I do myself/have a machine shop do.
Also what would be able to swap over from cureent engine during swap that wouldnt set the whole project back(valve cover, intake,oil pan) etc..
My goal is to swap into my 2001 dodge ram 1500, already has a 5.9 in it so I figure the swap should be easy after the build.

Also as far as pricing goes, I'm looking for not the cheapest but not the most expensive. Right down the middle with performance and price.

I am new to this completely and it's more of a learning experience and me getting to say yea I built that engine.

Also what would be the price difference roughly vs buying a crate engine off power train or like wise site.

Last edited:

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Are you Going to have the crankshaft checked over, cut and or polished ? Are you going with the factory connector rods? Push rods measured and replaced if decking the block ?new crank bearings , oversized on any bearings if needed ? New oil pump.

OP
OP
M

Muddaddy98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8-5.9 360
I'd have to buy a new crankshaft, is there a difference between connector and push rods? I'm looking to replace with as close to stock parts as possible or reasonably priced parts. Any recommendations, what I listed was the only things coming on the block

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Start with a small engine or a junkyard truck engine. There's a lot of similarities between them and it'll be better to practice on before you get after a brand new V8.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you still have the engine that was in the truck when you bought it.
Pull that engine out & set it on the ground.
Then set the newly machined engine/short block on the ground beside it.

With all the machining that is being done on that block, you will want a set of heads that is machined.

Next, everything else that is on the old engine, has to go on the newly machined engine.

There are some parts that i would buy, before mounting, like the timing chain, water pump ...

OP
OP
M

Muddaddy98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8-5.9 360
If you still have the engine that was in the truck when you bought it.
Pull that engine out & set it on the ground.
Then set the newly machined engine/short block on the ground beside it.

With all the machining that is being done on that block, you will want a set of heads that is machined.

Next, everything else that is on the old engine, has to go on the newly machined engine.

There are some parts that i would buy, before mounting, like the timing chain, water pump ...
Thank you! How would I know what is good and what isn't? My main reason for buying the new block(off marketplace) was so my truck didn't have too much down time

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Do you know the difference between a Short Block & a Long Block ?

Basically, a Short Block is the bottom of the Engine
It is missing things like the Oil Pump, gaskets, Oil Pan, Oil Dip Stick & the metal tube that holds it in place, & the Water Pump.

A long Block, is the Short Block & Heads
The Heads will have all of the parts needed, except the gaskets, Spark Plugs, ( a Distributor, if it uses one )

Then there is another way to by engines & that is called TURN KEY.
That is an engine that is almost ready to fire up, it has the intake manifold, thermostat, carburetor, & a few other things.

It would only need wiring, fuel lines, exhaust manifold, motor mounts, fan belts.

May i suggest, that if you have a friend or two that have worked on engines, that you invite them over for burgers & refreshments.
You will need some muscle if nothing else

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You should watch this video, it will help you to be more informed

OP
OP
M

Muddaddy98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8-5.9 360

It is missing things like the Oil Pump, gaskets, Oil Pan, Oil Dip Stick & the metal tube that holds it in place, & the Water Pump.

The Heads will have all of the parts needed, except the gaskets, Spark Plugs, ( a Distributor, if it uses one )

That is an engine that is almost ready to fire up, it has the intake manifold, thermostat, carburetor, & a few other things.

It would only need wiring, fuel lines, exhaust manifold, motor mounts, fan belts.

May i suggest, that if you have a friend or two that have worked on engines, that you invite them over for burgers & refreshments.
You will need some muscle

You will need some muscle if nothing else
So the engine I'm buy is a Short Block. I have a v8 360 already in my truck it is completely stock. To the point at 215k was the firstime the spark plugs were even changed. It currently has 219k miles and has no compression in 4 and 6, so I'm wanting to do a complete rebuild so I figured starting with a cleaned and bored Block would be my safest bet.

MAC830203

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 408
Honestly it truly depends on what you expect the end result will be vs all that work for little change. Performance = $$$

OP
OP
M

Muddaddy98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8-5.9 360
Well I just want me engine to run, not tick when I gas and not smoke so heavy out the exhuast

MoparX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You might consider a book on building magnum engines. Could be used as a guide or good refrence.

How to Rebuild Mopar Magnum V8 Engines HP1431​

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I agree with moparx ,get a manual or two and do a a whole lot of reading up on what you are trying to accomplish. You may be better off trying to find a complete rebuild rather than trying to do most of the work yourself. You will still have plenty of work and things to learn just swapping it out as it is.