Just a level kit, or all new stuff???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim Law

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Called a local shop to get my 2017 Copperhead leveled. He said it would be around $1300!!! He said he would recommend new struts in front and back along with a bunch of other stuff I had no idea what he was talking about. He said people who only put the leveling kits in the front start complaining about alignment and other issues after 15k miles or so.

SO, I ask you fine folks what I should do. I find it hard to replace all that stuff when the truck only has 16k miles on her!!!!!

I appreciate your thoughts

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Run the other way from that money grabbing ****** …. $200 for Bil 5100’s, $200 to install, $100 alignment …. leveled, better ride, better handling, and nothing needed in the rear unless your shocks are leaking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris1126

RAMINA
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i would have to agree this time w @BOWERSFJ id run the other way. thats a crazy amount. i had the spacers on mine at one point, oem shocks, spacer brackets for said shocks, and a alignment for maybe $100. spacers were around $90 i think. installation was maybe $100. < $300 for everything

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Called a local shop to get my 2017 Copperhead leveled. He said it would be around $1300!!! He said he would recommend new struts in front and back along with a bunch of other stuff I had no idea what he was talking about. He said people who only put the leveling kits in the front start complaining about alignment and other issues after 15k miles or so.

I think the distinction is to avoid the bargain basement spacer kits, that place a spacer on top of the OEM strut without making any other changes to the suspension. Those are legitimately a bad idea because they move the range of travel that the wheel can experience outside the range that the CV axle and ball joints are built for, resulting in damaged ball joints and in some cases cracked front axle housings. Some of the spacers also have too large a center hole which allows the top bushing to punch through and effectively destroy the upper strut mount and eventually the strut itself.

The leveling kits which consist of lift-specific struts are a safe bet if you just want the front of the vehicle lifted an inch or two. Bilstein 5100's are probably the most popular and they're what I have on my own truck but there are plenty of other choices too.

Above about 2" of lift it becomes a good idea to include lift-specific upper control arms because it is difficult to get a good alignment with stock upper arms above ~2"

Also: I should add that the above really only applies to 4x4 ram 1500's, it's actually OK to use a spacer to level a 2wd since they act directly on the spring without changing the geometry of the strut.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Run the other way from that money grabbing ****** …. $200 for Bil 5100’s, $200 to install, $100 alignment …. leveled, better ride, better handling, and nothing needed in the rear unless your shocks are leaking

The going rate is $600-700 for bilsteins these days when they are in stock. (2021)

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
@BOWERSFJ I was reffering to your post where $500 used to be the going rate for install (Not the cost of a set of 5200's) but its not anymore just like gas the price went up and yes a good alignment is $90-$125 anything cheaper those guys come to me and I fix it and sell them a new set of tires because they wasted their money on a cheap alignment that was probably never done in the first place. I see it every day literally at least once a week

chris1126

RAMINA
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@BOWERSFJ I was reffering to your post where $500 used to be the going rate for install (Not the cost of a set of 5200's) but its not anymore just like gas the price went up and yes a good alignment is $90-$125 anything cheaper those guys come to me and I fix it and sell them a new set of tires because they wasted their money on a cheap alignment that was probably never done in the first place. I see it every day literally at least once a week
the "go-to" alignment shop in my area is well known for their work. they do everything from tractor trailers to compact cars. 2&4 wheel alignmemt, when i got my ram aligned, it was $100. i thought that was a going rate. but there isnt much compitition in my area. glad to see you are saying i was in the range.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Alignments for my truck in my area are $100-$125 ..... the one shop that only charged me $60 for an alignment completely screwed it all up .... you get what you pay for simple as that ...

Kayakbiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Years back I had my truck aliened. When I got home for the hell of it I took a look under and checked the bolts. They left some bolts and locking nuts finger tight I loosened them with my fingers. OMG! Idiots! I couldn't believe it. Why I decided to reach under there I do not know.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

+1 on the Bils. Recently leveled mine with Bilstein 5100s front and back. Used the 2.1 setting and have about 1 inch of rake left which looks good as the 4th Gen Rams have a high hood and if completely level give the nose up appearance due to the meaty front hood. Paid $425 total for the front and rear Bilstein sets. Did my own install which isn’t that difficult. Be prepared to possibly need new strut plates as the OEM mounting nuts are a ****** to get off, you may need to cut them off which destroys the strut plates. New plates are $40 each on Amazon. Ride is more firm than stock but handling and rough terrain is a lot better.