Just replaced both front calipers and brakes seem off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Concort

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just replaced both front calipers on my 2007 Ram 2500 5.7 because the brakes were sticking and staying on every once in awhile but happening more and more... so decided to replace them. It seems after I finished and bled the lines that when road testing the brakes don't release very quickly... it take maybe 20-30 seconds for the brakes to fully release allowing the truck to go under its own idle speed. Those brakes should release immediately after I take my foot off the pedal. What gives? Any ideas?

Thanks!

OP
OP
C

Concort

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought the hoses all looked great yesterday when I did the job... i will check again, but they all seemed really good with no cracking, deteriorating, or wearing whatsoever.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is 100% possible you got a bad caliper out of the box, I've seen this happen more than once. But for sure If those are the factory rubber lines to the calipers you should change them regardless, if they are from 2007 they are long passed due for being replaced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

Concort

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is 100% possible you got a bad caliper out of the box, I've seen this happen more than once. But for sure If those are the factory rubber lines to the calipers you should change them regardless, if they are from 2007 they are long passed due for being replaced.

So i replaced BOTH calipers from ones I picked up from autozone. How would I know which one is the bad one. Maaan I dont want to have to replace both. You really think that can be the issue? The hoses are all perfect. Literally nothing wrong with them.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So i replaced BOTH calipers from ones I picked up from autozone. How would I know which one is the bad one. Maaan I dont want to have to replace both. You really think that can be the issue? The hoses are all perfect. Literally nothing wrong with them.
It is 100% possible, doesnt mean it is the case but I have seen it more than once, and it's happened to me before also. Another possible cause could be the ABS. But I would start with looking at your rotors, if just one is not releasing for a few seconds while the others are or in tandem then you might be able to see which one by seeing excessive wear on one rotor or rotors, but maybe not. Then I'd take the wheels off and with the truck in N rotate each one and see/listen for one that's stuck, if nothing get someone to be in the truck, have it running and you manually rotate one, have them hit the brake, then release and continue to rotate, if one caliper is not fully releasing you will at least find out which one it is, then manually try to collapse the pistons and watch em.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And I just learned this the other week so I am not even going to try to act like I know what I'm talking about on this, but my buddy who runs two mechanic shops and is incredibly good with mechanics told me a lot of times you also need to bleed the abs system on vehicles [emoji2962][emoji2373], which I did not know but theres a lot I don't know lol. Apparently you need a scan tool to do it, I was going to do some research to learn more about it but have not done it yet. He said it can be the reason for brakes still being spongy after you're confident you bled the lines completely. Again, I know pretty much nothing about this [emoji23]

jeeperjkjeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And I just learned this the other week so I am not even going to try to act like I know what I'm talking about on this, but my buddy who runs two mechanic shops and is incredibly good with mechanics told me a lot of times you also need to bleed the abs system on vehicles [emoji2962][emoji2373], which I did not know but theres a lot I don't know lol. Apparently you need a scan tool to do it, I was going to do some research to learn more about it but have not done it yet. He said it can be the reason for brakes still being spongy after you're confident you bled the lines completely. Again, I know pretty much nothing about this [emoji23]

this is true....also helps to find a dirt road and do a series of hard stops to activate the abs

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
this is true....also helps to find a dirt road and do a series of hard stops to activate the abs

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Amazing how much stuff I find that I never knew [emoji23]

OP
OP
C

Concort

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

ok... "bleed the abs system on vehicles"??? I dont even work on MY abs! Ugh... what in the world in the abs system on a vehicle. This is a new one. Google here I come. Maaan the days of just replacing a caliper, bleeding the lines and boom im good to go... is just gone. Now I gotta do somin to my trucks abs - LOL

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OOOh wait... you mean ABS... (antilock braking system) omg im dumb.
Lol sorry yeah ABS. Still, it is a new one to me [emoji51] one of these days I'll have to research how to do it or just drive to my buddies shop after hours and have him show me. Done lots of brake jobs, never bled the ABS before or even heard of doing it until last week [emoji2361][emoji23]

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok... "bleed the abs system on vehicles"??? I dont even work on MY abs! Ugh... what in the world in the abs system on a vehicle. This is a new one. Google here I come. Maaan the days of just replacing a caliper, bleeding the lines and boom im good to go... is just gone. Now I gotta do somin to my trucks abs - LOL
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] gotta get that 6 pack! Lol
Sorry haha

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Also do not look at brake lines and say they look ok the brake lines come apart inside creating a restriction not letting fluid come back out of caliper seen this 5 times in the 2 years I have been a full time auto tech do not dismiss the lines by looks

Last edited:

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also do not look at brake lines and say they look ok the brake lines come apart inside creating a restriction not letting fluid come back out of caliper seen this 5 times in the 2 years I have been a full the auto tech do not dismiss the lines by looks
Yeah I would absolutely replace all those lines if they are from 2007 lol I believe 3 years is the recommended lifespan in which you are supposed to replace the rubber lines. Of course that is early to be safe but definitely if those are the OG lines you should replace them as 14 years is really pushing it [emoji23]. Losing you brakes while driving is not something you want to risk, brakes are what I would say is the most critical component on a vehicle as that is the only thing keeping you from an almost guaranteed crash.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If your brakes seem to be dragging
You can always touch the center of the wheels to check for heat

If when you were doing the brakes & the fluid in the master cylinder was down below 1/2 way, you may have got air into the system
I don't know if that would affect the A.B.S. system

The ABS can be bled with some scan tools

I watched a video the other day about some scanner that self bleeds the Ram braking system

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did you clean the hardware,pins ,etc plus lightly lube contact points. Brake hoses fail internally more often then cracking and leaking on the outside. If the fluid never got to low , the abs is probably all right however if the master cylinder was down to the bottom ,then bleeding is needed.

LeeD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also do not look at brake lines and say they look ok the brake lines come apart inside creating a restriction not letting fluid come back out of caliper seen this 5 times in the 2 years I have been a full the auto tech do not dismiss the lines by looks
I almost lost my old Vette when the rear brake caught on fire due to a brake hose that had collapsed internally. From the outside the hose looked good.

XtremeAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Whether or not this is the cause of your particular issue, I wholeheartedly second the abs bleeding comment. Find a dirt road, wet grass, snowy spot, whatever slick area you can and lock them up at least a dozen times. Makes a huge difference!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn