Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just replaced both front calipers and brakes seem off?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Concort, Mar 28, 2021.

1. AlHart

AlHart Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Brake hoses can look perfect but you can't see what is happening on the inside. Jacking it up & having someone depress the pedal & release it while rotating the wheel should help find the bad side. For what hoses cost it's cheep insurance to replace both hoses.

kevkev likes this.
  2. TomB 1269

TomB 1269 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2019 Classic
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I had a grand am that would nose dive the passenger side on hard braking and cause the rear to want to lift to the passenger side. Checked every bit of suspension everything. Finally, I was doing a brake job and noticed a very slight issue with the flex brake line. Replaced and no more nose dive and rear kick, perfectly straight braking. I also have had a couple of run ins over the years with flex lines deteriorating and acting as a oneway valve.

3. BadHemi2014

BadHemi2014 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Another thought on the rubber hoses, when you took off the old calipers did you clamp the hoses or just let them drip?
    When I did mine, I had a set of hose clamps but decided against using them. I've read that can crush the interior of the hose.
    Just a thought.

kevkev likes this.
  4. Octane

Octane Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    If one brake hose is bad,replace both anyway.If not, the old hose will expand greater than the other and you'll have pull,if not a slow release.

kevkev likes this.
  5. Concort

Concort Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    OK all it was in fact the front brake hoses. Where they clamp to the frame has caused a bit of a crimp (dodge design-flaw) and its not allowing the fluid to creep back into the lines quick enough. Thanks all for your replies!