Front Calipers (New) seizing 2019 classic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoovesgonewild

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
Hi everybody! Thank you for adding me.

***This is a long “condensed” read, but need to provide context***

I have a 2019 1500 Classic Eco Diesel that I absolutely LOVE.

I desperately need some input regarding my front brakes. I had the brakes done a couple of months ago, (rotors pads and a caliper on the left side replaced).

If ANYONE has any mechanical experience or knowledge of where to go from here I would so greatly appreciate it!!

The old caliper was a complete mess, the piston boots were mush.

After the job I drove it, seemed fine but needed to go into town (about 40 miles 90% hwy), stayed about 30 minutes then headed back home. Then about 25 minutes into the drive (on the hwy) the caliper on the left side started smoking, badly!

Had it towed back to the mechanic, replaced the caliper (again) and brake hose, new caliper still sticking and noticed the right side was also getting hot and could smell burning (no new caliper on that side).
Also, gas mileage went from 24.5 avg mpg to 14, gears wouldn’t shift trying to go over 55 or so.

Mechanic suggests (and I also felt) there was a communication issue somewhere, possibly ABS module.

Take it to RAM service and they hooked up the computer to the ABS module which read “normal”.
They are insisting it is the new caliper but can’t explain the right side.

So, they suggest to replace both calipers (covered by warranty), the rotors which the left was warped anyway and a brake fluid flush. (They did find damage to the right caliper)

I pick it up yesterday and drive it to town, “seems” ok but still driving rough or wobbly. Mpg is a lot better but I feel it start to shake really bad, pull over and the right side is extremely hot, I smell the burning (very strong). The left side is hot but not like the right side.

I let the brakes cool down a bit and took the long way (non-hwy) back home. I stopped and checked the brakes about half way and they were not hot (just warm), no smell. So I cautiously drove it back home, not going over 60.

I couldn’t take it back to the dealer because they were closed and I have no other vehicle to get back home in (it is locked up at the dealer’s “bullpen”)

Now! With all that being said I am racking my brain on what the flipflop is going on!

Since I use the cruise control religiously on the highway I thought maybe there’s something going on there, so I look up cruise control and brakes as why do calipers seize or stick.

I found the following:

* The PCM “looks at signals from the ABS module”
* The ABS module communicates with speed sensors.

But nothing that glaringly connects them to the issue.

AGAIN, If ANYONE has any mechanical experience or knowledge for any suggestions of where to go from here I would be so grateful!

**NO WARNING LIGHTS HAVE COME ON DURING THIS WHOLE FIASCO**

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If ABS was engaging, you would know it. The pump is not quiet and the vibration you get through the brake pedal is not the same as a "warped" rotor vibration.

I believe there is a fuse you can pull to completely disable ABS...carefully, it might be a good test.

Personally starting to think its not caliper related, but could be master cylinder related, and if there is a valve block involved, that too.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hope the Mechanic didn't push the piston back into the caliper that could of causes air to get into the ABS unit, put the truck into reverse and slam the brake pedal to the floor, do this several times this may cause the air to be purged from the ABS, if not the dealer has the equipment to recalibrate to ABS.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat