Just What Did I Buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoToad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I opted for the extended warranty package on my new Ram and the first thing was to get her in for the Ceramic coating. It was an overnight job with, as far as I can understand, a hand applied and rubbed coating. Kind of a wax application? I was told I should keep the truck out of the elements for a couple of more days to completely let the application cure. Which I did. I think I can actually feel the difference but may be just imagining it. I took off up the lake for some fishing and spring has finally sprung around here meaning some good weather and the Cottonwood trees raining down sticky bud casings. Bugs are out too. So, getting back I had a fair amount of bug splats in the nose and a bunch of stuck on bud stuff. Hand power washing at the car wash took most of the bugs off but not all and the staining bud casings had to be hand picked and liberally applied with bug be gone. I got every last blemish out with a lot of elbow grease but do wonder just what the ceramic coating is protecting against. Just curious.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ceramic truths: Its not really protecting anything except the shine. Think of a Ceramic Coating being a long lasting "as long as you maintain it" wax. Does it protect against bug splatter or bird poop? No. Does is it a rain repellent? Yes. Does it protect against scratches? No. I have installed everything from Modesta BC04/BC06 Cquartz Pro and Finest Reserve, My own personal vehicle has Koch Chemie C0.02 on it. They all do the same thing. Lock in an amazing shine. Keeps it cleaner even when it rains. True Ceramic coatings The ones listed above are liquid glass. How hard it gets is all in what you install. Basically the Pros to a Ceramic. Crazy shine, easy to wash, keeps the vehicle looking cleaner even when its dirty. Cons, does not protect against scratches, does not repeal bird poop or bug guts, can be hard to maintain if you aren't good at it.

My wifes Jeep has a teflon coating on it. Undrdog Professional Coating. I will say this, it shines as well as Cquartz Finest Reserve. It truly repeals bird and bug guts. Its super easy to maintain as well. It will also last 1-10 years. We are on year 2 and its looks amazing and the water beading is excellent. Best driver coating on the market!

If you don't mind me asking what coating did you choose? An over night deal sounds specious. With a ceramic coating you have to at least do a gloss enhancement. Mean a Polisher with some sort of high gloss compound. Usually it takes 3 days total time to wash, polish, coat, and cure. Day 1 usually is wash and polish. Day to is using something like wax and grease remover, or eraser. Then the coating is installed. We do two coats There is no way to touch every ounce of the paint in 1 layer. So then its the wait time. Something like Cquartz pro, you can apply again after 4 hours. Cquartz Finest or Modesta is install twice after a 24 hr wait time, then its 10 minutes per panel under a heat lamp. Thats 4 hours for your truck at a minimal to bake. Just something to keep in mind.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Frankly my experience with professionally applied ceramic coating has been limited to what one dealership did with one truck my wife bought. In my opinion it wasn't worth the cost. But I suggest you research this for yourself if you're interested in learning more about it. Here's just one of many explanations you can find online with information about ceramic coating...

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ceramic truths: Its not really protecting anything except the shine. Think of a Ceramic Coating being a long lasting "as long as you maintain it" wax. Does it protect against bug splatter or bird poop? No. Does is it a rain repellent? Yes. Does it protect against scratches? No. I have installed everything from Modesta BC04/BC06 Cquartz Pro and Finest Reserve, My own personal vehicle has Koch Chemie C0.02 on it. They all do the same thing. Lock in an amazing shine. Keeps it cleaner even when it rains. True Ceramic coatings The ones listed above are liquid glass. How hard it gets is all in what you install. Basically the Pros to a Ceramic. Crazy shine, easy to wash, keeps the vehicle looking cleaner even when its dirty. Cons, does not protect against scratches, does not repeal bird poop or bug guts, can be hard to maintain if you aren't good at it.

My wifes Jeep has a teflon coating on it. Undrdog Professional Coating. I will say this, it shines as well as Cquartz Finest Reserve. It truly repeals bird and bug guts. Its super easy to maintain as well. It will also last 1-10 years. We are on year 2 and its looks amazing and the water beading is excellent. Best driver coating on the market!

If you don't mind me asking what coating did you choose? An over night deal sounds specious. With a ceramic coating you have to at least do a gloss enhancement. Mean a Polisher with some sort of high gloss compound. Usually it takes 3 days total time to wash, polish, coat, and cure. Day 1 usually is wash and polish. Day to is using something like wax and grease remover, or eraser. Then the coating is installed. We do two coats There is no way to touch every ounce of the paint in 1 layer. So then its the wait time. Something like Cquartz pro, you can apply again after 4 hours. Cquartz Finest or Modesta is install twice after a 24 hr wait time, then its 10 minutes per panel under a heat lamp. Thats 4 hours for your truck at a minimal to bake. Just something to keep in mind.
Are there DIY Teflon coatings out on the market ? Thanks Treb

Ramsteen23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Everything you said is exactly what I was told by a local pro about getting a high end ceramic coating job done on my truck. They use the Modesta BC04/06 and EGC for windshield. He said the same thing about what is doesn't protect against and that with a complete wash and prep including fixing any small paint defects it will take 2-3 days to complete.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are there DIY Teflon coatings out on the market ? Thanks Treb
Yes Undrdog is available to the public! Its really easy to apply and remove. It also always the time to double check your work. Joel is a great buddy of mine. So when we were testing it, he said do the whole car. Take cigarette break and then come back and take it off. Now I wouldn't recommend that, I usually did a panel or two at a time. Make sure you have plenty of clean new microfiber towels. You will need them. You can use it on everything. Wheels none chrome. It could lead to rusting. The black trim, the windshield, heck even the leather and hard surfaces. Its really endless with it. It is truly one of the few coatings I personally support outside of the business end. Here is a link to it.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Everything you said is exactly what I was told by a local pro about getting a high end ceramic coating job done on my truck. They use the Modesta BC04/06 and EGC for windshield. He said the same thing about what is doesn't protect against and that with a complete wash and prep including fixing any small paint defects it will take 2-3 days to complete.
I have seen people pay thousands for a full paint correction and Modesta. 1 year later the coating is dead due to them running it through a car wash. Heck I did brand new Ferrari F8 and he used echo the waterless wash on it and it scratched it... I did its first wash. Basically a ceramic coating is a hard protective layer that locks in the gloss and makes washing a breeze. That and it keeps the vehicle cleaner. Thats about it. Coatings aren't for everyone. That is why I suggest Undrdog. It falls under KISS lines. Keep it stupid simple. Its so easy to maintain and wash my boys can do it. Also his shirt line this one speaks the truth. Not once have I seen my wifes Jeep have bird poop stuck to it. My Ceramic coated Ram does tho lol.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-04 at 1.54.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-04 at 1.54.11 PM.png
    493.7 KB · Views: 16

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yes Undrdog is available to the public! Its really easy to apply and remove. It also always the time to double check your work. Joel is a great buddy of mine. So when we were testing it, he said do the whole car. Take cigarette break and then come back and take it off. Now I wouldn't recommend that, I usually did a panel or two at a time. Make sure you have plenty of clean new microfiber towels. You will need them. You can use it on everything. Wheels none chrome. It could lead to rusting. The black trim, the windshield, heck even the leather and hard surfaces. Its really endless with it. It is truly one of the few coatings I personally support outside of the business end. Here is a link to it.

Thanks Treb !

gto64gto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I opted for the extended warranty package on my new Ram and the first thing was to get her in for the Ceramic coating. It was an overnight job with, as far as I can understand, a hand applied and rubbed coating. Kind of a wax application? I was told I should keep the truck out of the elements for a couple of more days to completely let the application cure. Which I did. I think I can actually feel the difference but may be just imagining it. I took off up the lake for some fishing and spring has finally sprung around here meaning some good weather and the Cottonwood trees raining down sticky bud casings. Bugs are out too. So, getting back I had a fair amount of bug splats in the nose and a bunch of stuck on bud stuff. Hand power washing at the car wash took most of the bugs off but not all and the staining bud casings had to be hand picked and liberally applied with bug be gone. I got every last blemish out with a lot of elbow grease but do wonder just what the ceramic coating is protecting against. Just curious.
I read in HOT ROD a long long time ago that ***** hose was good to remove bugs. Tried it and use it ever time I wash my car or truck. Sure does work and doesn't hurt clear coat

johnhenryculver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.1
I have seen people pay thousands for a full paint correction and Modesta. 1 year later the coating is dead due to them running it through a car wash. Heck I did brand new Ferrari F8 and he used echo the waterless wash on it and it scratched it... I did its first wash. Basically a ceramic coating is a hard protective layer that locks in the gloss and makes washing a breeze. That and it keeps the vehicle cleaner. Thats about it. Coatings aren't for everyone. That is why I suggest Undrdog. It falls under KISS lines. Keep it stupid simple. Its so easy to maintain and wash my boys can do it. Also his shirt line this one speaks the truth. Not once have I seen my wifes Jeep have bird poop stuck to it. My Ceramic coated Ram does tho lol.
Is it not recommended to go through a hand car wash if you have a professionally applied high end ceramic coating on your vehicle?

Les_Garten

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 5500
Engine
I read in HOT ROD a long long time ago that ***** hose was good to remove bugs. Tried it and use it ever time I wash my car or truck. Sure does work and doesn't hurt clear coat

What hose are you referring to?

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is it not recommended to go through a hand car wash if you have a professionally applied high end ceramic coating on your vehicle?
Its recommended that you either hand wash it using a two bucket method or take it back to a professional to have it done. You need a PH balanced soap as to not hurt the coating.