Keep or sell?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mjagg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi all, I have 2014 Ram Quad cab SLT 1500 and if I had to name my favorite vehicle I've ever owned (I'm 54 and had quite a few) it would be this one. I got it as a rental return in Jan '15 and it's been nothing but smooth, strong and reliable. I live in the northeast so the only mechanical issues have been the exhaust manifold studs which have been done on both sides. I use it to tow a camper and mostly commuting. I can't believe the milage this thing gets for such a big truck.....usually around 18. However I am at 113K miles and I'm starting to see the signs of rust on the rockers. The rear bed and fenders are still good as I wash the heck out of from underneath during the winters. Unfortunately that didn't help the rockers much. They aren't rusted through but the bubles are there and I'm sure they need to be replaced to be repaired correctly. So my thought is, will this truck continue to be reliable at over 100K...should I invest in replacing the panels (I could do the welding just not the paint) or should I get a new(ish) ram and go from there. I'm about to retire for a long career in LE and want something nice going forward. Was going to get a new car and use the truck as a work/tow vehicle but I've had such good luck with it and really like it. Still, the thought of getting something new is tempting. However, the prices of newer trucks is insane and maybe freshening up what I already have would involve a lot less cash and bit of elbow grease. All opinions welcomed. Here she is...nothing fancy but I love it. The new ones get pretty darn fancy with all the bells and whistles. 20221212_134357.jpg

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How much to repair the rockers ?

OP
OP
Mjagg

Mjagg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How much to repair the rockers ?
It's hard to say but I'd be able to cut out the old rockers or rusted areas and put in new metal myself so the cost we be down to having a body guy fill and paint. I'd guess that wouldn't be too terrible. Maybe even under 2K if I had to do both sides. The rest of the truck is really solid. There some rust on the frame toward the rear but it's surface and I could get at it with a wire brush and rust converter and it would be good for a while longer. The motor runs super strong and the tranny is the 8 speed and it's also hanging in there.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It's hard to say but I'd be able to cut out the old rockers or rusted areas and put in new metal myself so the cost we be down to having a body guy fill and paint. I'd guess that wouldn't be too terrible. Maybe even under 2K if I had to do both sides. The rest of the truck is really solid. There some rust on the frame toward the rear but it's surface and I could get at it with a wire brush and rust converter and it would be good for a while longer. The motor runs super strong and the tranny is the 8 speed and it's also hanging in there.
I d have to use a body shop . Lol. Instead of painting I’d use bed liner. Either way, lots cheaper than these inflated prices. Having said that, research lifter cam issues.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I d have to use a body shop . Lol. Instead of painting I’d use bed liner. Either way, lots cheaper than these inflated prices. Having said that, research lifter cam issues.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You could do the rockers, and that might buy you a couple more years. And maybe you should do that. Bodywork and refinishing wouldn't be that expensive. The problem is you live in the NE ....the cab corners and box wheel wells are right behind the rockers. My neighbor's Ram was just like that (rusted wheel wells).

You 'could' clean the rear wheel wells and put a bunch of oil up there. I say oil ...because you want it to 'soak in' real well. The tailgate too.

Scroll down about 1/2 way on this pg. I wrote up how I cleaned out my tk's wheel wells. You got to get all the rocks, sand, leaves and crap from around the wheel wells. Maybe if you do that, it'll buy you more time to keep what you have looking good.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd keep it. You could end up having a lot more problems even with a brand new car/truck. So if this one has been good and you really like it. Why get rid of it

Depending on how bad the rust bubbles are you could do what I've been doing on the wife's suv. Spray a light coat of fluid film on the rust. On both sides. I do it roughly 6-10 times a year. Over 3 years later in heavy salt during the winters and it hasn't gotten much worse. But if you can weld the panels I'd definitely do that. If it was my truck I'd weld in new metal.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Note: A lot of guys are going to tell you to use Fluid Film or another spray rust coating (e.g. Rust Stopper). Those work great on flat bare steel and other brand new panels. But around real wheel wells start with a product which will soak wherever it can. Seep in ..through the tiniest of holes or crevices. And then apply a 2nd application after a month or so. And if you can work some between the metal layers (horizontal side) of the wheel lip, even better. Ram used a seam sealer at the base of the wheel lip between the outer and inner panel. Fluid film doesn't seep in cracks/crevices the way oil will. After the oil has mostly seeped in and dripped out, then you can follow up with a Fluid Film or Rust Stopper (same thing, different mfgr).

I sprayed Fluid Film and Rust Stopper on horizontal rusty metal surfaces. After a couple weeks they didn't seep down that much. A little but not that much. Oil seeps down and around right away. Start with the oil and follow up with the other stuff if you want. Just sayin'...

If you want to keep your Ram looking good, definitely get on the rear wheel openings ASAP. It's a lot of work but it'll help stop the rust in it's tracks. As much as possible. You can't really *effectively* repair rusted wheel wells (coming from yrs of body experience) once you have rust-through.

Best of luck

20221005_130856.jpg

Last edited:

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Me, I’d just slow down the cancer with FF and drive it. Just doing that the body will outlast the rest of the systems. At 8 years and over 100k in a NE vehicle it’s not worth investing a bunch into a commodity vehicle.

Get yourself something nice and keep this one for a beater.

Elvira

Reaction score
Keep your truck, I was in a similar situation and decided on keeping my 15 Ram. I have had it so long now, i am confident with it to drive anywhere. The cost to replace is just too high and to get something not any better, just lower miles. Even if you had to put an engine in it, you are still coming out ahead with something you enjoy and like. Worry about it down the road when it is just too much for you to keep running.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
First off congrats on making it through a career in LE!!! It ain't what it use to be!!! I can't wait to get the heck out. Two years and 11 months and goodbye!!! What a shame what has happened. I better leave it at that or I'll get myself into trouble.

As far as your truck; it's almost always less expensive to keep and repair than it is to buy new. And with your ability to complete the welds, I'd say definitely the case for you. You know this truck and it's been good to you. BUT, maybe you're looking for an excuse to treat yourself? Sounds like you deserve it if you want a new one! If that's the case, life is short, so do it, I say! Otherwise, financially you're probably better off repairing and keeping. Just look at prices!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, I made a cartoon to show a cross-section of how the Dodge Ram 'rear' wheel lip looks. Hopefully it'll make sense. Note the seam sealer applied at the factory during construction. Shows why a guy needs to clean out the debris and use a thinner oil to seep between the outer and inner layers of sheet metal (and the horizontal lip). In my truck there was a LOT more debris than illustrated below.

Where the seam sealer is, there may be nothing a guy can do to prevent rust from developing in that area, other than hoping oil (from a few applications) gets drawn in (and 'up') between the layers of metal. Don't wait too long. Hope it helps! :)

Dodge Ram Real Wheel Lip Cross Section.png

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I would live with it until mid June 2023
repair as needed, hopefully all money matters will change by then, if not, you still have your truck

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
You know what you have, what's fine and what's coming up to address to your liking. I'd drive it, fix it, and drive it some more until it's costing you too much time/$$/etc. If you get a newer truck you do run the risk of finding some reasons why previous owner got rid of it, which may be just as or more painful than you have now. New isn't always free from breakdown either, but much less likely. I buy used, low mileage (as I can find), and research my best to know what to look for - but still a gamble. I only got rid of my last truck when it was taking too much time from me. I had everything working when I sold it, but just too many times fixing the next thing. Wish you luck with your decision.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I
Hi all, I have 2014 Ram Quad cab SLT 1500 and if I had to name my favorite vehicle I've ever owned (I'm 54 and had quite a few) it would be this one. I got it as a rental return in Jan '15 and it's been nothing but smooth, strong and reliable. I live in the northeast so the only mechanical issues have been the exhaust manifold studs which have been done on both sides. I use it to tow a camper and mostly commuting. I can't believe the milage this thing gets for such a big truck.....usually around 18. However I am at 113K miles and I'm starting to see the signs of rust on the rockers. The rear bed and fenders are still good as I wash the heck out of from underneath during the winters. Unfortunately that didn't help the rockers much. They aren't rusted through but the bubles are there and I'm sure they need to be replaced to be repaired correctly. So my thought is, will this truck continue to be reliable at over 100K...should I invest in replacing the panels (I could do the welding just not the paint) or should I get a new(ish) ram and go from there. I'm about to retire for a long career in LE and want something nice going forward. Was going to get a new car and use the truck as a work/tow vehicle but I've had such good luck with it and really like it. Still, the thought of getting something new is tempting. However, the prices of newer trucks is insane and maybe freshening up what I already have would involve a lot less cash and bit of elbow grease. All opinions welcomed. Here she is...nothing fancy but I love it. The new ones get pretty darn fancy with all the bells and whistles. View attachment 509244
I would keep it. Change all the fluids, belts, plugs and filters. Then see how you feel about it when you reach 150k. As 113k is when you can replace all the easy stuff like shocks and brakes and still have a reliable truck.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Tough call. Just prior to the China flu, I was bouncing around the idea of either getting a new Ram 1500/2500, or just keeping what I had and put money into it as needed. Keep in mind I’ve had Zero issues since day one. Nonetheless, headed out with my list of options I wanted, and didn’t want.

Once I Got up off the floor from hearing the 85k price tag, I was quickly reminded that there isn’t anything wrong with my 1500. Even after doing a full lift and all the goodies associated with that, I’m no where near 85k.

Don’t get me wrong, a Hennessy Mammoth 1000 or AEV 2500 very well may find it’s way to me, but those are purpose built Rams and justify the additional cost. 85k for an optioned 1500/2500 just didn’t do it for me. And so I kept my 1500 and don’t regret a minute that I did. :waytogo:

For whatever it’s worth, hope that tosses another perspective in the pot :waytogo:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If i am going to spend $80,000 on a new vehicle, it will be because of necessity.

I am going to drive my 2016 eco-diesel, until it begins to cost me enough money, that it starts to irritate me

At that point, i will buy a new truck or build a truck, basically from scratch

this frame brand for illustration only
55-59-Chevy-half-Ton-Truck-Chassis-2.jpg
the cab will be similar to this

s-TX-afbbf9ea-696b-46b8-9afb-4b161f4e657b-18b34877.jpg

i was building a similar truck before & it was drivable & street legal

I much rather drive this, than any new vehicle made today

Last edited:

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Hi all, I have 2014 Ram Quad cab SLT 1500 and if I had to name my favorite vehicle I've ever owned (I'm 54 and had quite a few) it would be this one. I got it as a rental return in Jan '15 and it's been nothing but smooth, strong and reliable. I live in the northeast so the only mechanical issues have been the exhaust manifold studs which have been done on both sides. I use it to tow a camper and mostly commuting. I can't believe the milage this thing gets for such a big truck.....usually around 18. However I am at 113K miles and I'm starting to see the signs of rust on the rockers. The rear bed and fenders are still good as I wash the heck out of from underneath during the winters. Unfortunately that didn't help the rockers much. They aren't rusted through but the bubles are there and I'm sure they need to be replaced to be repaired correctly. So my thought is, will this truck continue to be reliable at over 100K...should I invest in replacing the panels (I could do the welding just not the paint) or should I get a new(ish) ram and go from there. I'm about to retire for a long career in LE and want something nice going forward. Was going to get a new car and use the truck as a work/tow vehicle but I've had such good luck with it and really like it. Still, the thought of getting something new is tempting. However, the prices of newer trucks is insane and maybe freshening up what I already have would involve a lot less cash and bit of elbow grease. All opinions welcomed. Here she is...nothing fancy but I love it. The new ones get pretty darn fancy with all the bells and whistles.

You do know that lots of hemi engines develop issues with lifters seizing and grinding through the camshaft? It's a $6k repair or a new engine.

On the upside, you'll most likely start hearing loud ticking noises from the engine, so that would be a sign to sell it

OP
OP
Mjagg

Mjagg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks guys. I think I'll hang on to it for now and see how it goes. Maybe in a year or so thing will more clear. It does do the tick at startup but then settles down and runs like a watch. I might try going to 5W-30 at some point. I've heard that helps. Thanks again for all your comments and ideas. Very helpful.