Key FOB Panic Button

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L 8 cylinder Hemi 2wd
So I am having an issue jsut this week where most time when I try to put my key fob into the slot it is setting off the panic button. Especially if I try it with my door open. Is there any way I can disable that panic button?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the tip.

Sometimes (far too often during the colder months), I've had the 'Panic' alarm engage after bending/loading my vehicle with the FOB in my pants pocket. This rarely happens during the summer when wearing shorts with an external cargo pocket.

I might consider using a modified FOB for Winter (and/or whenever I wear pants) and the other unmodified FOB for Summer/shorts weather.

That panic alarm is evil especially when parked in an underground parking lot.

How much of a PITA was it to disassemble & reassemble your FOB?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
First of all, you need an eye glass kit, there are very small screw drivers in there.

Next get a white towel & spread it on what ever you are using for a work bench.

Then remove the Valet Key from the top of the FOB

now you should see a very small Philips Screw, remove it over the towel

Now you have to carefully split the 2 halves of the FOB

Next lay the back of the FOB off to the side
The other half with the buttons on also contains a GREEN printed circuit board.

Chances are the Contacts that are suppose to be attached to inside of the case, have become detached

Now watch a few Youtube Videos on cleaning the circuit board & reattaching any loose contacts

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm confident there are many different key FOB types.

The link below is for the FOB used with my 2021 Ram Classic 1500 Warlock.
This FOB utilizes microswitches as opposed to shorting contacts together so you can't simply insulate the contacts like other types.

The video demonstrates how to disassemble the FOB for a battery change and I added a couple of pics to show how I've modified the panic switch to hopefully lessen the sensitivity.

By adding an O ring around the 'Panic switch', the sensitivity appears to be reduced, somewhat.
I won't know until another pants-wearing day arrives. That could be October or another work contract arrives. :cool:

Screenshot e 2022-07-22 181031.jpg

Screenshot f 2022-07-22 181112.jpg

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I thought i had read that the FOB was inserted into the slot
but that was ICEMAN that typed that

Your FOB is what is called an Enter & Go or Smart FOB, or something i think

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm confident there are many different key FOB types.

The link below is for the FOB used with my 2021 Ram Classic 1500 Warlock.
This FOB utilizes microswitches as opposed to shorting contacts together so you can't simply insulate the contacts like other types.

The video demonstrates how to disassemble the FOB for a battery change and I added a couple of pics to show how I've modified the panic switch to hopefully lessen the sensitivity.

By adding an O ring around the 'Panic switch', the sensitivity appears to be reduced, somewhat.
I won't know until another pants-wearing day arrives. That could be October or another work contract arrives. :cool:

View attachment 498502

View attachment 498503
There are at least 2 "types" of FOB. You and I have the "premium" fob, which is for keyless/remote start. Like GTYankee says, it has some fancy name. OP likely has the "lower end" fob, where the panic button actually enters into the slot more like an old style key ignition cylinder. We don't have to take our fob out of our pants except when we get home. OP has to to start their truck.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don't carry my keys at work because I constantly set off the panic alarm when I carry them. I even remote start it pretty regularly by accident. I now lock my doors one at a time so I can get at my tools while keeping the cab locked. One day I'll disconnect the tailgate lock actuator, but not until my power locks actually work properly so they don't blame that as the reason for them not working. So I guess I might never do it. Also my keys usually sit in the console as I've set off the panic at stop lights. I seem to be gifted that way.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963