Key Fob Starting/Detection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KB Sabre

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a push button start 2015 Ram, Laramie. Two winters ago, my key Fob wouldn't always start my truck. But it would work most of the time. Towards the end of last winter, it never worked and still doesn't. On the other hand, remote Lock and Unlock usually work. I've done the obvious things and tried looking at a few articles. Replacing batteries and cleaning contacts in the Fobs hasn't made a difference, either.

I'm not sure if it's related, but over the past year my truck won't detect the Fob once in a while, "Key FOB Not Detected". So I'll have to press the Fob into the Start Button to get the vehicle to start.

Could it all be a communication issue, computer issue or something messed up with an antenna in the truck itself? I don't know enough about it to diagnose.

The truck Batteries are only 2 years old and everything else on the truck works as normal. I really want to avoid going to the deal on something like this (or in general) because they may give me the run around before anything is solved.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
My NAPA store has a FOB tester that is a part of the replacement battery display. It can detect if the FOB is transmitting a signal. I would test the FOB auto start button to the tester to see if its transmitting a signal. I know my FOBs take alot of abuse so I'd verify the FOB as much as I can but I'd still suspect a bad fob over the truck having something wrong.
Also do you have a second FOB to try? Do you have AlphaOBD? I'll check now but AlphaOBD may have tests to perform. I'll look now and if so I'll post back.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
when you are away from the crowds

at what distance does your ALARM button work ?

OP
OP
KB Sabre

KB Sabre

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright, so I went back and tested my spare Fob again. And everything works. I swear it wasn't working months ago when I last messed with it. But, for now, I'm calling it a fob issue.

I'll use my spare one for now and hope that it was the old fob that was losing communication with my truck. Also, on my old fob, it's only my starter button that never works and my panic button works intermittently.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2016 does the same thing. Goes a week not problem, then No Fob. Take it out of my pocket and it works just fine.

Too much Iron in blood????

Triple B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 turbo diesel
10 Laramie dually and fobs are possessed!! In a pocket or in my hand pushing nothing and auto starts by itself. Front Windows roll either part down or all the way down. It's a crap shoot whether they will work when I push the buttons. Once inserted the truck works just fine. I can never make windows roll down with any button on fob, so how are they doing it? Had truck for 12 years. This all started about 2 years ago. Did the battery switch and nothing. Any ideas?