2016 Ram 1500 - Key Fob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John W37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
It's been a while since I was on the Forum but I am polling the brain trust on this one. I don't have a push button start and have the Fob that requires insertion and turning to start. Both of my Fobs are factory original. I drive the vehicle daily and the Fob I use has been working with no issues. I attempted to use the second Fob and none of the buttons worked. I assumed dead battery. I replace the battery and the same issue existed. I use a VOM and checked voltage on the old and new batteries that show 3.2 & 3.1 volts. I check continuity on the PCB and found no issues. I unlocked the truck with the working key Fob and used the malfunctioning one to try and start the truck. Amazing enough it started. It ran for maybe 30 seconds and I shut it off. When I exited the truck I tried the non-working Fob to lock the truck and it worked. It also unlocked/remoted started after that and works as expected.

Any ideas on what might have caused this?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No idea why it did that but I can say it’s not only a Ram issue. My daughters Civic will randomly not recognize a fob yet still allow her to start and drive the car. Key and immobilizer chip work but the fob buttons don’t. I’m curious about why this happens too.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Maybe try cleaning the contacts in the fob? It doesn't take much to stop 3v.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357