keyless entry and no heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bryan_ZDayZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hello All, This is my First Dodge and so far i'm thrilled with it. I recently bought a 2009 3500 Dually.

I've since done some refreshing and repairs but there are still two items I need help with.

The keyless entry doesn't work, I took it to a locksmith to have new keys made and programmed, he scanned the truck and couldn't find the module. the keys will start the truck but the keyless entry wont unlock the doors. does anyone know where in the truck that module is? also would anyone have a part number or know a place i could purchase it?

the other issue is i do not have heat, I have cleaned out the heater core with CLR, i've checked all of the actuators and they seem to move, at least according the youtube videos I've watch. what else could be the issue?

thanks in adance.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
By 2009 (actually by 2006) the multiple SKIM & RKE functions were combined into one SKREEM, a module that combines security key and wireless. It's in the column with the ring around the key switch. There are various part numbers depending on whether your truck was built with remote start or not.

OP
OP
Bryan_ZDayZ

Bryan_ZDayZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
By 2009 (actually by 2006) the multiple SKIM & RKE functions were combined into one SKREEM, a module that combines security key and wireless. It's in the column with the ring around the key switch. There are various part numbers depending on whether your truck was built with remote start or not.
thank you sir, glad i don't have to go diving into the dash!

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Put your VIN in, (all caps), at this site to get the build sheet and see if the truck was equipped with it.

Mine shows this: REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY WITH ALL-SECURE

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
thank you sir, glad i don't have to go diving into the dash!
I don't have a 2009 specific manual, but 2009 HD's were the last 3rd gens so the 2008 HD parts book should be good enough.

p154.jpg

As per the option code list:
XBM sales code = XBM $$ Remote Start System
GXM sales code = GXM $$ Remote Keyless Entry
ZG Remote Key Less Entry W/Immobilzer
ZJ Keyless Entry With Panic Alarm

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I still get confused about the RKE

I thought that the RKE was when you could grab the door handle & it would unlock without the FOB or Key being physically used, you just had to have the FOB in your pocket or purse.

When they changed to that type of system, they put the RF module on the rear wall of the cab.

Up until that time, the Ignition itself was the module & security, it is called a Wireless Ignition Control, according to this video :)

in the video, he said that you must replace the ignition, when you have to squeeze the FOB to start it, if i understood correctly.

Personally, i would open up the FOB & investigate & clean everything inside of the FOB.
Making sure that the contacts are all in place, etc.

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You're confusing "Remote Keyless Entry" (which literally uses a remote) with "Passive Entry".