Know anything about Jeep Patriot / Compass?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I need to pick up a new fuel sipper - for various reasons it looks like the Patriot & Compass (pre-2017) tick the most boxes for me.

But I can't tell them apart. They have different sheet metal but it seems like the interior, all the mechanical bits, the 4wd system, suspension.. everything is all not just similar but identical.

That's fine it means I can shop either one because I don't actually care about the looks at all.

Can anyone who's got experience with both give me an idea of why somebody might pick one over the other?

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
My wife drives a 2015 Patriot. Hers has the 6 speed auto, I've heard people who didn't care for the ones with CVT.

Hers has 110,000 miles. I've changed the copper spark plugs twice. 20 minute, super easy job. It just got it's first brake pads last fall at near 100,000 miles.

Oil changes are quick and easy, good ground clearance, the 4 wheel drive system is brilliant works like a dream in snow, she doesn't have to do anything. It's 60 front 40 rear, but has a lever to make it 50/50. We've never needed it.

It's been a very dependable vehicle, will go anywhere, just not real fast. I highly recommend it for dependable and top notch 4wd system.

We're shooting for a few more years out of it which will put it near 200,000 miles.

OP
OP
kurek

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for your reply :)

The Patriot/Compass twins fit the bill for me, I know they're not fast - I want three pedals, AWD and simplicity. That cuts the market down to pretty much the baby jeeps, subarus and.. ok just those.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IIRC, the original Compas was a re-bodied Dodge Caliber, best to be avoided. My mother had a Patriot for years and loved it, and my daughter has a 2016 now and seems to enjoy it. Kinda boxy for me, but a nice vehicle overall.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Drove a 2011 2.4 CVT Compass from NY to AZ, shipped my truck. Not at all impressed with the fuel mileage or the small gas tank.

MSgtZ

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
We purchased my parents 2010 Patriot Limited 4x4 from them in 2018. It was a low mileage vehicle 55K at the time 86K now. Have done a couple of Texas to CT round trips with it and have no real complaints. Did have to replace all four struts at 70K due to leaking, rear sway bar end links and front sway bar end links. Did front brakes as soon as I got it home from CT (dad said it had a little bit of pulsing at 55, hell I drive 75 and at that speed the darn thing wanted to jump off the road, front rotors were well out of spec), rear brakes at 86K are almost at the point they should be replaced, but not there yet. Other than a intake cleaning we just has done, no major repairs to anything that is not a wear item (I do keep fluids changed out regularly as recommended to include the cabin air filter). I do have one problem we are going to live with, seems the purge valve in the gas tank goes bad causing stalling on fill up if you top off. The repair is to replace the gas tank for $1600 at the Jeep dealer, $600 from Rock Auto, I am opting to not fully fill the tank and that is working just fine). Nice vehicle for what we paid for it and we will be keeping it for I hope 10 years.

It is not fast, but does ok (my 2008 Fusion with the 4 cylinder and 5sp manual is much quicker in acceleration). We have been averaging 24mpg for most driving and 26mpg for highway driving. Yes it has the CVT, but no complaints with how it behaves.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
The jeep compass and patriot are the same platform.

The obvious difference is the body. With the compass being slightly more aerodynamic.

The compass gets 8 more horsepower and a bit more torque...and the patriot gets a few MPG less.

Other than that, pic the one you want.

I did here the compass, which kept the manual at the redesign, has now lost it for 2021.

More people need to buy manuals...but we might aswell kiss them goodbye.

Why we still have our 99 V10 5spd and 06 Kia Sportage 5spd...just can not get these anymore.