Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Shop name/website/Facebook/Instagram?
Im just a Local Shop no website as I do all my work in house as it's usually custom. Shop name is Austin's Off Road/Custom Builds. We're did a SEMA truck a year ago it was a F-350. We installed OBA, second gas tank, full skids, stereo system, custom bed and fenders for a pre-runner look and did a custom engine swap. I mostly specialize in the 2nd gens as they dominate here and people are taking them offroad not much 4th gens and im almost certain they don't take them off road they are too scared :D. Thought about creating a website but I couldn't compete with the big name places

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where in pa? I'm in west jersey right on the Delaware. Local to Ok4wd for a landmark reference.

44s on a full size is a lot of truck for east coast chit. You over on pirate4x4 or which forum do you normally use. Your setup is on the extreme end for normal forums where most are interested in just level kits.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Close to Pittsburgh but might be relocating to a bigger facility towards McConnellsburgh. Im on DodgeTalk mostly to help out people with mechanics and for my old muscle cars (69 Charger Hemi 4spd, Superbird im restoring, etc). Im all about extreme! My latest project is my 01 2500 but might but a 5th gen to mod. Here is my second gen it's about to go in to get suspension done and bumpers. Right now it was about OBA, skid plates, and axles.

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here it is next to a jeep with a 6" lift the last one is with 40s it's getting painted plum crazy

Snapchat-1877712350.jpg

20190317_114716.jpg

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just so im clear what do you guys want from a bumper? I'll see if I can get a CAD drawing up tonight

OP
OP
K

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just so im clear what do you guys want from a bumper? I'll see if I can get a CAD drawing up tonight

Tubular, high mount/high clearance, functional skid plate that can support weight - all the way to the diff brackets, dual clevis style tow hook locations, and option to mount winch or not. Another edit: No interference with sensibly trimmed OEM style flares at least.

Edit: I wont be buying another bumper personally. I bought and modified my westin outlaw and thats that.

Ill be watching for some overbuilt/boxed lower control arms that mimic the Zone UCAs though.

Or better yet, just some LCA skid plates in heavy guage aluminum or steel.

Last edited:

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Ok so just like what kyle said. As far as I can tell, a plate tube hybrid would most likely be easiest and most functional. I was thinking plate center section with the winch tray in the middle. 2 clevis mounts centered to frame rail that tie into the factory tow hook point on frame, than tube twork to just fill in around to the wheels. Than possibly a skid that ran down to front x member, but that's not something that's overly pertinent per se.

OP
OP
K

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok so just like what kyle said. As far as I can tell, a plate tube hybrid would most likely be easiest and most functional. I was thinking plate center section with the winch tray in the middle. 2 clevis mounts centered to frame rail that tie into the factory tow hook point on frame, than tube twork to just fill in around to the wheels. Than possibly a skid that ran down to front x member, but that's not something that's overly pertinent per se.

If the westin outlaw had tow hooks + winch it would be primo so thats a good place to start. I can take more pics when its mounted and/or dig out some more pics i already have.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
If the westin outlaw had tow hooks + winch it would be primo so thats a good place to start. I can take more pics when its mounted and/or dig out some more pics i already have.
Honestly yea, for a starting point see if you have a pic. I'll dig one up as I tried to use my doodle thing on the phone and it looks like hammered dog ****.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Ideally the 4th one that's on the 4th gen 2500. But here's some inspiration. The biggest issue being the center section depending on where the frame horns are compared to the body. feb7e0c380cff89ce34e6e46b3aa4ac2.jpgaa732def2291f3aadd6d9a72c61cc171.jpg29a36743dd7b287549e0d260a923bc40.jpgc7adf15d0ddeb630cc52ed1db02ea15e.jpgf89d1ffcb1bfdff10f250cd5f47feff9.jpg8f628f6e3ddd8300055be55a6d753996.jpg

OP
OP
K

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
These are just photos i already have. To give you some idea of placement/mounting/design. I love that this bumper not only doesnt require the upper plastic portion of the bumper, but it literally wraps the grill its so high-mount.

20180905_180819.jpg 20180822_145023.jpg
Note on this one: This was the incorrectly bent upper skid plate from Westin. That lower lip on the upper skid should have been bent the other way and they did send me a new one.
20180905_181132.jpg 20180905_154935.jpg 20180905_155041.jpg

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tubular, high mount/high clearance, functional skid plate that can support weight - all the way to the diff brackets, dual clevis style tow hook locations, and option to mount winch or not. Another edit: No interference with sensibly trimmed OEM style flares at least.

Edit: I wont be buying another bumper personally. I bought and modified my westin outlaw and thats that.

Ill be watching for some overbuilt/boxed lower control arms that mimic the Zone UCAs though.

Or better yet, just some LCA skid plates in heavy guage aluminum or steel.

Let me see what I can come up with. What winch will you guys be running? I usually build the bumper to the winch. I recommend Warn personally. My last bumper I built literally held a jeep from a tree.

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Needs to be monstalinered! What suspension are you running?

Biggest question is how are those milestar tires?@?@?

Im running my own custom suspension with fox 3.0 Shocks. Have some Rough Country steering stabilizers. It flexes really good. I had ARB lockers but went with Eaton Elockers and love them. Started out as a 24V 6spd Cummins swapped that out for a 360 (I hate diesel personally). Now I'm planning on a Hellcat swap. Even working with a local company to create a stand along controller for the 8spd then I'll use that tranny. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Milestar tires got 5 40 13.50 17 for $1350 through discount tire direct. Went up an icy hill in 2 wheel drive no locker where a Rubicon with Nittos couldn't. Quiet on the highway. Only have about 3,000 miles on them so time will tell but they have no visible wear yet. Only one complaint they are a soft rubber so they have to be rotated every 3,000 miles. Oh also they only weight 20 pounds more then 35s

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Let me see what I can come up with. What winch will you guys be running? I usually build the bumper to the winch. I recommend Warn personally. My last bumper I built literally held a jeep from a tree.
Warn 12k. Not sure on the model as I haven't researched too heavily. That's more on the lost of wants not needs currently as the mall parking lots haven't been too treacherous lately [emoji41]

We have been discussing those milestars, I'm curious to see the mileage that people get. I drive too much to honestly validate them, but I know there's a few here who fit right into the market for them.

If you can get this 8spd I say do it. It's freaking amazing. Technology has come so far with transmissions it's ridiculous. Gotta say you're the first I've ever seen gas swap a diesel.

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Warn 12k. Not sure on the model as I haven't researched too heavily. That's more on the lost of wants not needs currently as the mall parking lots haven't been too treacherous lately [emoji41]

We have been discussing those milestars, I'm curious to see the mileage that people get. I drive too much to honestly validate them, but I know there's a few here who fit right into the market for them.

If you can get this 8spd I say do it. It's freaking amazing. Technology has come so far with transmissions it's ridiculous. Gotta say you're the first I've ever seen gas swap a diesel.

I drive about 15-25miles a year. Diesel is junk imo but I get that a lot. :D to cold here for a diesel I owned one new one and it gelled up. I won't get the CAD tonight as I have to look at the frame again and get measurements. It will be heavy though as I overbuild the bumpers. Im just deciding on how to ship these. Apart or together and have the buyer weld them.....

OP
OP
K

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I drive about 15-25miles a year. Diesel is junk imo but I get that a lot. :D to cold here for a diesel I owned one new one and it gelled up. I won't get the CAD tonight as I have to look at the frame again and get measurements. It will be heavy though as I overbuild the bumpers. Im just deciding on how to ship these. Apart or together and have the buyer weld them.....

Working northern canada, all the boys are running diesel rigs and we saw 4-5 weeks of -45 celcius (-49F) weather this winter, which is typical. Plug that ***** innnn.

Thuren's bumper is modular, they build the center piece which mounts to the truck and has the winch tray and tow points, then the 'wings' that extend out to the fenders are bolt on. Look up Thuren modular bumpers for the 2500/3500.

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Working northern canada, all the boys are running diesel rigs and we saw 4-5 weeks of -45 celcius (-49F) weather this winter, which is typical. Plug that ***** innnn.

Thuren's bumper is modular, they build the center piece which mounts to the truck and has the winch tray and tow points, then the 'wings' that extend out to the fenders are bolt on. Look up Thuren modular bumpers for the 2500/3500.
I did have it plugged in still gelled up. I won't do bolts as it's not as strong. I'll figure something out

OP
OP
K

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did have it plugged in still gelled up. I won't do bolts as it's not as strong. I'll figure something out

Seen a pic on that holman offroad insta of a car buddy hit with the thuren bumper. Thuren unscathed and the car got popcanned. If each wing was held on with a couple 1" bolts she'd be bullet proof.

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seen a pic on that holman offroad insta of a car buddy hit with the thuren bumper. Thuren unscathed and the car got popcanned. If each wing was held on with a couple 1" bolts she'd be bullet proof.
I'll run some tests before I do anything