Lack of Power/Intermittent Stall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTBrian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Gas
Evening guys, I’m at my wits end with this truck and hoping you can Help me out. I’ve got a 99 1500 SLT with the 5.9 engine 165,000+- miles.

To start the truck would randomly stutter acting like it was going to die going down the road and at stop signs, developing to where it would start to die at stop signs or while idling unless you brought the RPMs up. Along with this the truck won’t pull it self out of a mud puddle. Absolutely zero power.
One other thing when it acts like it wants to die it sounds like it’s pulling super hard vacuum, such as there is a large vacuum leak. Can’t find any vacuum leaks.

These are the things I’ve replaced
1: Idle Air Control valve
2: Mass Air Flow Sensor
3: Camshaft Sensor
4: Crankshaft Sensor
5: Ignition Rotor and Cap
6: Ignition Wires and Plugs
7: Coil
8: Intake and Plenum Gaskets (most recent)
9: PCV
(I’m sure I missed something)

Checked
1: Timing it’s dead on.
2: Fuel pressure is also right in specs on the rail.

Please help me out guys I need a truck to get firewood for the house. The transmission went out in my other truck. It’s been a real crappy year for vehicles.

Thanks for any information it’s all helpful.
Brian

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Plunimum Gasket which you said your replaced. Fuel Pump. Fuel injector cleaning, Clogged Cat.

Sounds like a clogged cat to me.

Scotty Kilmer has a fix for that. It involves using laquer thinner in fairly large quantities. I ran 2 gallons through mine and it did clear up the poor performance. Of course my cat broke up into pieces and rattles when I first start it up, but it still passes inspection so I'm not worrying about it.

Here is scotty's video if you want to try it. My truck performance really improved as soon as I put the stuff in. I think it cleaned the injectors too.