Laramie Equip Level 2 and other tech requires eTorque?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bobby_M

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've been playing with the 2020, and now the 2021 configurator for a while. One of the strangest order combo restrictions that I've found is that if you stick to the Laramie Equipment Level 1, you can get any engine including the plain 5.7 HEMI. You can't get the advance safety group or the new 2021 Technology Group without bumping up to the Laramie Level 2. Once you do that, it drops you down to the 6 cylinder engine. It does let you switch over to either of the eTorque options.

That's to say you can't get all the high tech toys with the plain 5.7. Any speculation as to why?

Moving up from a rather low tech 2012 Express, I'm a little concerned about all the new potential problems but I got a taste of the adaptive cruise control in our Pacifica and the head's up and LCD rear view is some cool Ironman stuff...

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I noticed that too. Gotta pay to play I guess. I have the hemi w/etorque, and while I'd rather not have it, it hasn't caused any problems for me either. Time will tell I guess. Maybe you can get those goodies without etorque if you go in and have a sales rep configure it for you. I know when I was considering ordering a truck they had more flexibility than the web site allows.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I am glad I got my level 2 with the plain Hemi when it was allowed.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I found I needed to go out of order with the online configuration tool. I needed to add the Off-road Group and then the Level 1 and then the 33-gal gas tank. Some tow packages require with the V-8 or the diesel engine. Adding the 3.92 gears is also restricted but if you alter the order in which you make the selections you can work around the problem.

The only limitation for me is having to go with eTorque if I want the V-6 and so I will be ordering the V-8 without eTorque.

Whenever I have done builds for the 2020 and 2021 pickups if I started with the Bighorn and added the packages (like the Premium Lighting Group) to make it equal to a Laramie configuration with the same features, the Bighorn MSRP was $5,000 less than that of the Laramie. Takes less than 10 minutes to do the two builds and compare the results.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I found I needed to go out of order with the online configuration tool. I needed to add the Off-road Group and then the Level 1 and then the 33-gal gas tank. Some tow packages require with the V-8 or the diesel engine. Adding the 3.92 gears is also restricted but if you alter the order in which you make the selections you can work around the problem.

The only limitation for me is having to go with eTorque if I want the V-6 and so I will be ordering the V-8 without eTorque.

Whenever I have done builds for the 2020 and 2021 pickups if I started with the Bighorn and added the packages (like the Premium Lighting Group) to make it equal to a Laramie configuration with the same features, the Bighorn MSRP was $5,000 less than that of the Laramie. Takes less than 10 minutes to do the two builds and compare the results.
I'm sure you realize you can't actually configure a Big Horn equal to a Laramie. You can get close, but not equal.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Equal enough and save $5,000 by doing so. Can get the Premium Lighting for $995 which is the only functional difference between the stock Bighorn and the stock Laramie. Add the premium lighting and the Bighorn Level 2 group and the basic trucks are the same as the Laramie with the Level 1 equipment group.

I have done builds with 2021 Bighorn crew cab 4WD, V-8 non etorque, 3.92 gears, Off-road group, 33-gallon gas tank, and 8" non navigation display, wheel to wheel running boards, heated front bucket seats, rear underseat storage compartment, Park Sense and Rear park assist, Blind spot and cross traffic detection, with a build MSRP of $49,010.

Same configuration with the Laramie gets me a MSRP price of $54,720. Nothing gained with the additional $5,710 for the Laramie, though I realize that MSRP is a fiction for the most part.

Arvid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Equal enough and save $5,000 by doing so. Can get the Premium Lighting for $995 which is the only functional difference between the stock Bighorn and the stock Laramie. Add the premium lighting and the Bighorn Level 2 group and the basic trucks are the same as the Laramie with the Level 1 equipment group.

I have done builds with 2021 Bighorn crew cab 4WD, V-8 non etorque, 3.92 gears, Off-road group, 33-gallon gas tank, and 8" non navigation display, wheel to wheel running boards, heated front bucket seats, rear underseat storage compartment, Park Sense and Rear park assist, Blind spot and cross traffic detection, with a build MSRP of $49,010.

Same configuration with the Laramie gets me a MSRP price of $54,720. Nothing gained with the additional $5,710 for the Laramie, though I realize that MSRP is a fiction for the most part.

just fancier seats.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Haha...sure, scoff at fancier seats. But when it comes to spending time with your truck, people spend the majority of it on their butt in that very seat. Some of us prefer to be as comfortable as we can when we're in our trucks. It seems you don't appreciate those. And that's fine. If things like leather trimmed ventilated seats, rain sensing wipers, auto dimming headlights, proximity door locks, among other things, are not important to you, it's great you can get a model without them and save some money. But to many people, those extras, and more, are important enough to spend more to have them. The Big Horn is a great model. And you have a lot of versatility to configure it in a lot of ways. As long as you're willing to sacrifice on some of the creature comforts you can get with higher trim levels. For me, if I'm spending 50 grand or more on a new vehicle, it damn well better have those creature comforts. When I was younger I was more utilitarian and didn't care about those things. Now that I'm getting older I can appreciate them, and can better afford to have them.

Arvid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haha...sure, scoff at fancier seats. But when it comes to spending time with your truck, people spend the majority of it on their butt in that very seat. Some of us prefer to be as comfortable as we can when we're in our trucks. It seems you don't appreciate those. And that's fine. If things like leather trimmed ventilated seats, rain sensing wipers, auto dimming headlights, proximity door locks, among other things, are not important to you, it's great you can get a model without them and save some money. But to many people, those extras, and more, are important enough to spend more to have them. The Big Horn is a great model. And you have a lot of versatility to configure it in a lot of ways. As long as you're willing to sacrifice on some of the creature comforts you can get with higher trim levels. For me, if I'm spending 50 grand or more on a new vehicle, it damn well better have those creature comforts. When I was younger I was more utilitarian and didn't care about those things. Now that I'm getting older I can appreciate them, and can better afford to have them.

Not scoffing, it is a nicer interior no doubt. And if I didnt get in my truck a sweaty muddy mess and need seat covers I’d be in a Laramie longhorn.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I didnt see a way to get leather buckets and console with any combo of Big Horn..I have not had a truck or car without leather since the 60's..now I have been 2500 shopping so not an issue any longer..

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I didnt see a way to get leather buckets and console with any combo of Big Horn..I have not had a truck or car without leather since the 60's..now I have been 2500 shopping so not an issue any longer..
That's because it's not offered in a Big Horn. The only way to get leather in a BH is to have the seats recovered, or swap seats from a higher trim level.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
well what I was getting at was that Elkman was kinda saying that he could get a big horn equipped almost like a laramie for 5k$ less. there really are some key differences between the two. not worth the extra money maybe to some but not others..for me the laramie was the lowest trim level to have all the stuff I usually get.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
well what I was getting at was that Elkman was kinda saying that he could get a big horn equipped almost like a laramie for 5k$ less. there really are some key differences between the two. not worth the extra money maybe to some but not others..for me the laramie was the lowest trim level to have all the stuff I usually get.
I couldn't agree more. I test drove a couple different Big Horns before buying the Laramie, and just couldn't "Settle" for less truck. I think the Big Horn is a great model. I just couldn't get everything I wanted in one.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I couldn't agree more. I test drove a couple different Big Horns before buying the Laramie, and just couldn't "Settle" for less truck. I think the Big Horn is a great model. I just couldn't get everything I wanted in one.
This is the same reason i got my Limited. Drove the Laramie and then the limited and never looked back.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
"If things like leather trimmed ventilated seats, rain sensing wipers, auto dimming headlights, proximity door locks, among other things, are not important to you, it's great you can get a model without them and save some money. But to many people, those extras, and more, are important enough to spend more to have them."

I have to give credit to the foks at Ram that can add these small extras and get people to spend an additional $5000 for them. I had rain sensing wipers on my Mercedes coupe and it was nice when driving in thick fog but otherwise of no additional beneft. My 2007 Prius that cost $23,000 has proximity door locks and while better than a key lock, having a fob where I press a button and it unlocks the 4 doors on my SUV is trivial but I do like the button that will open the rear hatch of the SUV, although that is not provided with a Ram pickup.

When I had vinyl seats in my trucks and SUV's I did not resort to seat covers but I have covered my cloth and my all leather seats to protect them. The covering I use does not block the heated seats and they protect the seats from UV damage.

But if you want pretty over utility and have money to burn then go for the top trim levels and the dealer will love you and Ram will love you as they make a great deal more profit on each truck sold and are smiling all the way to the bank.

This shows in how dealers order the 1500 trucks where they add on the $1,000 chrome appearance group and the $2000 black edition and omit the 33-gallon fuel tank and the electronic locking rear differential and the tow package. They expect the trucks to be used by people who want a pretty truck that seats 6 people and will used it on the pavement to go buy groceries or to commute to work. I understand that but for 50 years I have found it more useful to have a passenger vehicle and also a pickup truck. Saves money and provides more utility in the short and long run.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
mine has a button that opens the "trunk".
And one that lowers it as a matter of fact. It even has rear ventilated seats. But my truck gets used like a truck and often. So while there are many that buy them for transportation alone, it is no different than buying a Corvette instead of a Malibu. I wanted all the fancies cars and SUVs get but I need a truck.

Last edited:

Arvid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think what I hate most about the upgraded trim models is having limited or Laramie plastered all over. Porsche bmw or Mercedes don’t even ruin the beatifull trimmed seats and interior with something embroidered or badges all over it. I’d know I got the limited by paying for it. I don’t need it plastered all over.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
I think what I hate most about the upgraded trim models is having limited or Laramie plastered all over. Porsche bmw or Mercedes don’t even ruin the beatifull trimmed seats and interior with something embroidered or badges all over it. I’d know I got the limited by paying for it. I don’t need it plastered all over.
I do not disagree that sometime over badging can ruin a vehicle, it says limited on the sides in the chrome trim - very subtle, on the tailegate and on the arm rest. nothing on the seats.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have to give credit to the foks at Ram that can add these small extras and get people to spend an additional $5000 for them. I had rain sensing wipers on my Mercedes coupe and it was nice when driving in thick fog but otherwise of no additional beneft. My 2007 Prius that cost $23,000 has proximity door locks and while better than a key lock, having a fob where I press a button and it unlocks the 4 doors on my SUV is trivial but I do like the button that will open the rear hatch of the SUV, although that is not provided with a Ram pickup.

When I had vinyl seats in my trucks and SUV's I did not resort to seat covers but I have covered my cloth and my all leather seats to protect them. The covering I use does not block the heated seats and they protect the seats from UV damage.

But if you want pretty over utility and have money to burn then go for the top trim levels and the dealer will love you and Ram will love you as they make a great deal more profit on each truck sold and are smiling all the way to the bank.

This shows in how dealers order the 1500 trucks where they add on the $1,000 chrome appearance group and the $2000 black edition and omit the 33-gallon fuel tank and the electronic locking rear differential and the tow package. They expect the trucks to be used by people who want a pretty truck that seats 6 people and will used it on the pavement to go buy groceries or to commute to work. I understand that but for 50 years I have found it more useful to have a passenger vehicle and also a pickup truck. Saves money and provides more utility in the short and long run.
Fortunately for those of us who choose not to cheap out, there is no rule which says a pickup must not be used as a passenger vehicle. My truck, I can use it however I like LOL. I'm very happy with the Laramie trim, and I'll keep driving it and enjoy the little extras that I chose to pay extra for and make it more enjoyable to me to drive. I'll also mention that I do have a car I use for commuting to work most days, but you're gonna hate it because it's a luxury car brand LOL.

Doesn't really bother me that much, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they used fewer badges.

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can't really go by the configuration thing on line.although its going to be almost impossible to find a dealer that knows enough about option groups and ordering to actually help.i have seen some odd combos lately i didn't think you could get while looking for a new ride.i came across a tradesman or express classic i can't remember which that had power and heated seats and leather wheel and bighorn seats factory.a 1200 option i don't think was showed on the configurater i think anti spin diff should be standard on bighorn up kinda like its standard on a chevy all star imho