LARAMIE SPORT HOOD CONVERTED TO TRX HOOD ISSUES

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Garrettr87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Painter should have test fit before painting but Mopar told us it would work. Anybody have any advice for fitting the trx hood on my 2020 Laramie? 7DC902D8-7D36-4E6F-9390-8DE725B68A6D.jpeg

Attachments

• 68D168EF-DA16-4B39-9FBA-B09440831397.jpeg
    68D168EF-DA16-4B39-9FBA-B09440831397.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 27

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Completely different front clip, I'd guess you'd have to buy all new fenders, grill, bumper, etc....

OP
OP
G

Garrettr87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m trying to figure out if I have to get the trx lights too. If I can get buy w just fenders and bumper and grill I may just do it but I’m not buying the lights. I’ll go back to the stock hood

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m trying to figure out if I have to get the trx lights too. If I can get buy w just fenders and bumper and grill I may just do it but I’m not buying the lights. I’ll go back to the stock hood
I cant believe the dealer told you it would work... Its defiantly longer then the Laramie. I hope you are able to figure it out. Hood looks great on it.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
View attachment 466158
I think you're gonna need the whole front end, cuz everything is different....
Agreed. I was wondering about doing this swap as well but didn't know for sure what differences there would be. I'm sorry you found out the hard way. How much did the hood cost?

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
Here are the TRX and Laramie Sport side by side and scaled the same. There are a LOT of differences.

TRX-Laramie02.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Garrettr87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agreed. I was wondering about doing this swap as well but didn't know for sure what differences there would be. I'm sorry you found out the hard way. How much did the hood cost?
The hood and all the parts and lights that go with it about $1500. Not sure what the paint is gonna cost me yet. I can’t find another Ram air hood in steel. Anybody know if the “low down edition” hold was ever produced?

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Isn't the TRX wider? You certainly couldn't do just the front clip without doing something with the bed sides.

Although the hood is already painted it looks like you need a custom shop that can modify the hood by taking some out of the middle (length wise) and possibly side to side if needed.

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
Keep us informed of what you do…..that is awful for you Poster. I think I would be really f..ked off with that partsman. Not that it will do any good. Maybe they can give you the additional bits you need at trade prices and not retail?
can’t really blame the painter, I don’t think I would have thought to measure it or try to fit it first either. Such a beautiful colour too.
Keep your chin up, all will be well eventually!
I would definitely, thinking about it more, try to get a massive discount in the other parts you need. Sounds like that is a lot tho from what the other guys saying…….

Southern Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It looks pretty good, not a big fan of the black vent things on the top of the hood.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Painter should have test fit before painting but Mopar told us it would work. Anybody have any advice for fitting the trx hood on my 2020 Laramie? View attachment 466146
There is a tech that I know from being in class at the Chrysler Training Center together who was doing this swap on another techs truck In their shop. He told me that he originally started with just the hood and ran into the same issue that you have. He told me he was able to change the grille and the headlights to the TRX parts and make it work. I haven't seen the truck yet but I have seen a pic from his phone and it looked pretty good. No large gaps and clean lines.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

OP
OP
G

Garrettr87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a tech that I know from being in class at the Chrysler Training Center together who was doing this swap on another techs truck In their shop. He told me that he originally started with just the hood and ran into the same issue that you have. He told me he was able to change the grille and the headlights to the TRX parts and make it work. I haven't seen the truck yet but I have seen a pic from his phone and it looked pretty good. No large gaps and clean lines.
What about the fenders?

OP
OP
G

Garrettr87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And the bumper?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
And the bumper?
Hey. Sorry I didn't see your message. I stopped receiving notice from the site months ago so I have to check in to see what's going on.

I got in touch with the tech I was referring to and this is what he told me...

They ended up having to shorten the hood to make it the correct length. They decided to go the route of shortening the hood over swapping the fenders. The did keep the stock bumper and swapped to the TRX grille and somehow made it work but I have not seen the truck up close.