larger injectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i was wondering if anyone has tried running a bit larger Bosch design 3 injectors on there stock 318? was thinking about trying 24lb injectors. do you need the clips that holds the injectors to the fuel rail? only reason i ask is i think all the design 3 injectors i have been looking at don't seem to have slots in them for the clips. plus the fuel rails are bolted to the intake. i don't see it going anywhere.

OP
OP
crazzywolfie

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
why not? since i would like to upgrade to 4 hole injectors i figure a bit larger injectors might not hurt anything.

aofarrell2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L (MDS)
Run the same injector rating as stock. Bosch makes a 4 hole injector with the proper rating, I can get P/N if you want.

I ran my injectors without clips, never had problems.

This on your 93?

aofarrell2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L (MDS)
If the engine is running a tad lean, it will make things run better. Personally I find engines run a lot better just a tad on the rich side, but that's my opinion.

Most of the times, a slightly larger injector won't hurt anything, but just keep this in mind: The PCM has to trim the fuel, and there's only so far it can trim it from the factory injector calibration. So too large a injector will cause it to max out the trim and it will still run rich.

All I can really say is just give it a try and let us know how it works...

OP
OP
crazzywolfie

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
well i think someone on another forum was running 24lb injectors on his stock 318 and he said it seemed help things out but he has not been around so not been really able to ask him much. i also plan on upgrading the throttle body with a 50mm TB at some point in time. just not sure if it will happen at the same time as the plenum gasket fix or not.

ParrotHead FA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
If your engine and tune are stock, then run the same injector rating as factory. Larger injectors aren't really going to make much more power in a stock engine running a factory tune. The biggest difference you'll probably notice is a decrease in fuel economy. However, if you plan on modifying your intake, exhaust, and running a custom tune on your truck, and maybe even adding other aftermarket goodies such as cam, ignition upgrades, etc, then larger injectors will absolutely help your engine make more power.
Dave

OP
OP
crazzywolfie

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
no tuning done to my 93 and not going to spend the money to get the stuff needed to replace the obd1 computer with a tune able system. i wouldn't mind doing a lot of that stuff but it wont be happening too soon. only thing i will be doing is a bit of light modifications to the to the intake. cleaning up the rough cast and maybe filling in some of the empty space.