EPS Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got a 2014 Ram 1500 Express. It was driven on Tuesday afternoon with no issues, then a few hours later when we went to go somewhere, the power steering didn't work and the EPS warning light is flashing on the dash. I did some googling and checked other threads on this forum, but I haven't found any situations that seem like mine.

I checked the fuses at the battery terminal and those are good. I opened the fuse box and checked those fuses and this is where it gets confusing to me.

F42 - HORN - Tests bad (My horn works fine.)
F58 - ENG COOLING PUMP - Tests bad (My truck doesn't overheat.)
F62 - A/C CLUTCH - Tests bad (My A/C works fine.)
F63 - IGNITION COILS - Tests bad (My truck starts fine.)
F64 - FUEL INJECTORS/PCM - Tests bad (My truck starts fine.)
F70 - FUEL PUMP MTR - Tests bad (My truck starts fine.)
F78 - ECM/PCM/EPS - Tests good (Powering steering doesn't work.)

Should I just replace the fuse box, or is it possible there's some underlying issue I'm not finding? Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: I should also add that I tried pulling codes and there are no codes showing in the system.

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just for clarification, when you say tests bad, did you pull the fuses and do a continuity check across the poles?

OP
OP
A

adamr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry, no I tested each to make sure they were getting power. Visually the fuses look fine, but I did not do a continuity check across the poles. The fuses that were testing as having no power to them, I replaced and tested again and the new fuses also had no power to them.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you done a battery LOAD test? HERE. Or charge your battery and take to a parts store to get tested. That's where I would start. May not be the problem, but you almost have to rule that out. These trucks are known to act wonky in weird head-scratching ways when the batteries start going bad. Be sure the terminals are 'clean' and body/engine grounds are good. Seen it on my own Tk (although it wasn't steering related). But it had all sorts of other errors I've never seen in my life! So have other owners. So, it may not be a flaky battery, but it's a good place to start. Esp with the other issues you articulated. And try letting the truck sit overnight with a batt cable disconnected (I'd tie the cable-ends together myself(unhooked from the batt of course)) to kind of do a reset ...if the battery is known solid-good.

2) These trucks have been known to somehow inexplicably push the fuses "up". Make sure they (and relays) are seated. I assume you've probably done that. Also, there have been reports from 4th gen Ram owners who've had the main wire connectors beneath the fuse box (TIPM - Computer) corrode (badly in some cases!). You can search that out. Those were usually northern snow-belt guys, who get in salty conditions. But it might be worth digging in and removing the main computer connectors and having a check if no other solutions present themself.

3) There is a main metal piece which connects between the + batt and goes to the fuse box. Be sure the terminals are clean and tight.

4) The EPS itself can suffer from a multitude of failures: Waterlogged control panel area, broken belt, possible other internal issues. I would at least at some point remove the control panel cover and look inside in case it's something simple (after you've resolved the horn and other issues).

This is a sucky thing to have happen. Good luck. Let us know what you discover!

OP
OP
A

adamr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for your input! I'll get the battery tested. I do think maybe my last post was a bit confusing. I have no issues with my horn, a/c, or any of the other listed items above. The concern I was having there is that the associated fuses don't seem to be receiving power, but the systems work perfectly fine. That's why I was thinking maybe there was an issue with the fuse box itself. I'll check over the other things you mentioned and post an update.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hmmm...well in that case go right to #4. It's probably not the battery, it's probably a flaky EPS unit. Supposedly, according to some forum members, the new Chrysler EPS units (while difficult to get), seem to be revised and more reliable. But NOT cheap. Do some searches of EPS and power steering... there are plenty of other posts.

To start with, ensure the control board on the EPS is getting power.