Larger oil filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Very soon I will be installing a oil relocation filter on my 2021 bighorn hemi. I will now be able to install a bigger full size oil filter. What is a good filter?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Very soon I will be installing a oil relocation filter on my 2021 bighorn hemi. I will now be able to install a bigger full size oil filter. What is a good filter?
What filter nipple is on your relocation kit,if it's the older 3/4-16 nipple you have alot more options for bigger filters compared to the later 22mm X 1.5 nipple

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Missed the relocation kit, my bad, 20-500 and 20-820 are for the factory filter replacements. Ignore my post.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
RP 20-500 is another good one if you can't find a 20-820
Just to clarify, I know this is an old post, but a 20-500 does NOT fit in a 4x4 truck. My rebel I had to use a gentle persuader to get the filter out, as it jammed between the bottom of the thread and the top of the front transfer case. At least on an '18 rebel.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Just to clarify, I know this is an old post, but a 20-500 does NOT fit in a 4x4 truck. My rebel I had to use a gentle persuader to get the filter out, as it jammed between the bottom of the thread and the top of the front transfer case. At least on an '18 rebel.
It should fit the earlier 4X4's that don't use the oil heater/cooler. The adapter used for the oil heater shortens up the filter that can be used,get rid of it,and odds are you'll be able to use the bigger filter.It's just another thing that can leak,and if the earlier 5.7's didn't need it,the later ones probably don't either

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
With regular oil changes, the small factory filter size is plenty. I think I would want any extra oil in the engine as opposed to in the filter.
Once you shut the engine down it will have the same amount of oil no matter what size filter you have. While I'm not disagreeing with you about the factory sized filter, a larger filter increases the total capacity, meaning you can add more oil to your system. Which the engine would be able to take advantage while running, when it's important to have the oil in the engine. Having a larger filter does not affect how much oil is "in the engine" while it's running.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fits my 2016 and I have that filter on my truck right now, but I am sure some trucks are different like Wildone said

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It should fit the earlier 4X4's that don't use the oil heater/cooler. The adapter used for the oil heater shortens up the filter that can be used,get rid of it,and odds are you'll be able to use the bigger filter.It's just another thing that can leak,and if the earlier 5.7's didn't need it,the later ones probably don't either

I see that it "fits" to my truck, but I don't remember seeing that part on my truck, mostly based on the size of the nipple. The filter nipple on my ram is LONG AF, and that link doesn't seem the same. I also don't think the "gasket plate" on my rebel matches that design. It looks more like the pick in the assembly drawing, that to me looks like I do not have the cooler.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fits my 2016 and I have that filter on my truck right now, but I am sure some trucks are different like Wildone said
If you mean the 820, that answers my question, as I know the 820 isn't as tall as the 500, and the 500 "almost" fit vertically, I was worried about the larger diameter of the 820. (it's only about a half inch, but... https://filters.royalpurple.com/single-part-result/?clientID=ROYAL876WEB&partnumber=10-48, https://filters.royalpurple.com/single-part-result/?clientID=ROYAL876WEB&partnumber=20-820, https://filters.royalpurple.com/single-part-result/?clientID=ROYAL876WEB&partnumber=20-500)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I see that it "fits" to my truck, but I don't remember seeing that part on my truck, mostly based on the size of the nipple. The filter nipple on my ram is LONG AF, and that link doesn't seem the same. I also don't think the "gasket plate" on my rebel matches that design. It looks more like the pick in the assembly drawing, that to me looks like I do not have the cooler.
Go look closer at your truck,maybe the Rebels don't have the oil heater,but i'd lay odds they do.I might be wrong as i've never crawled under a Rebel,but i'd be surprised if they didn't have the heater.It'll have 2 smaller coolant lines feeding it,if it does have the heater

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It's not a Rebel thing because the 2017 Rebel I used to own had the heater/cooler. I didn't really notice it until I installed a remote oil filter kit on that truck.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you mean the 820, that answers my question, as I know the 820 isn't as tall as the 500, and the 500 "almost" fit vertically, I was worried about the larger diameter of the 820. (it's only about a half inch, but... https://filters.royalpurple.com/single-part-result/?clientID=ROYAL876WEB&partnumber=10-48, https://filters.royalpurple.com/single-part-result/?clientID=ROYAL876WEB&partnumber=20-820, https://filters.royalpurple.com/single-part-result/?clientID=ROYAL876WEB&partnumber=20-500)
Both the 20-820 and the 20-500 fit my truck. I have a 20-500 on my truck now. For my truck the 20-500 is actually easier to install but I don't have that oil cooler like Wild One was talking about.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Both the 20-820 and the 20-500 fit my truck. I have a 20-500 on my truck now. For my truck the 20-500 is actually easier to install but I don't have that oil cooler like Wild One was talking about.
I can see if you don't have the heater/cooler thing the 500 being easier to install.

So the 820 fit the stock location? Cool.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go look closer at your truck,maybe the Rebels don't have the oil heater,but i'd lay odds they do.I might be wrong as i've never crawled under a Rebel,but i'd be surprised if they didn't have the heater.It'll have 2 smaller coolant lines feeding it,if it does have the heater
If I didn't say it, I meant to, I didn't know the widget existed, so didn't know to look, and also, really Dodge??? Does heating the oil up a little faster (potentially) really help THAT much?

If anything, I would think the only benefit would actually be the coolant has something extra to "trade" heat to, but that actually might explain why the 2 fluids are so often "in lockstep" with each other. IE neither seems to get very far from the other in terms of temp. Oil usually gets a handful of degrees warmer, but it is like 3-6F, nothing major, which could be explained by the volume, as those hoses look rather small, versus the main rad hose to the thermostat.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If I didn't say it, I meant to, I didn't know the widget existed, so didn't know to look, and also, really Dodge??? Does heating the oil up a little faster (potentially) really help THAT much?

If anything, I would think the only benefit would actually be the coolant has something extra to "trade" heat to, but that actually might explain why the 2 fluids are so often "in lockstep" with each other. IE neither seems to get very far from the other in terms of temp. Oil usually gets a handful of degrees warmer, but it is like 3-6F, nothing major, which could be explained by the volume, as those hoses look rather small, versus the main rad hose to the thermostat.
It's just another gadget to leak,and if it ever develops a coolant leak into the oil,it'll cause you big issues in a hurry.It's easy enough to get rid of it,pick up a filter nipple for a truck prior to 2016,spin the cooler off,plug the coolant hoses,or loop them together,and you'll be able to run the bigger filters that the older 4X4's do.If you pick up a thermostat housing for an earlier truck,you can even tidy up the hoses under the hood.