Largest full size inflated spare on stock wheel.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
What is the largest diameter fully inflated spare tire in inches which can be mounted underneath on the stock Power Wagon steel wheel?

Fully inflated to 60 PSI as stated on the door jam for 2014+. I am referring to the Power Wagon 2014+, otherwise state the earlier PW year.

Tire specifications for sizes can be found by searching the tire manufacturer and or dealers.

The popular Toyo Open Country M/ T specifications are 285 75R17 @ 34.1", 315 70R17 @ 34.6", 35 12.50R17 @ 34.8", 37 12.50R17 @ 36.8", and 37 13.50R17.@ 37.0".

As of now I know that only the 34.1" fits as a spare. Some larger sizes may fit though with some spare tire wrestling effort.

Last edited:

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 315 70r 17 ko2 tucked under. Tight fit

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
The 35x12.50r17 Toyos do not fit at street pressure, so there’s another data point for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
The 35x12.50r17 Toyos do not fit at street pressure, so there’s another data point for you.

OK, that's a no for a 34.8" tire, whereas, a 34.4" fits tight. The cutoff is probably somewhere in between these two diameters. A 35 12.50R17 KO2 is a next larger size diameter tire at 34.5", followed by other manufacturer's tires at 34.6", such as the Toyo M/ T 315 70R17.

Last edited:

PW2018PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not to hijack here but I have a related question.....is a full size matching spare even neccessary?

Stock spare is 33" so if I jump to 35"s for the 4 on the ground and then only use the spare as a temporary tire in an emergency to get me home wouldn't that be fine?

If i made sure the 33" was on the front axle that would be even better right?

OP
OP
G

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Yes, to your last sentence.

Is a full size matching spare necessary?

My nearest city is Grand Junction, Colorado and it is a 45 minute all highway drive away. It is the biggest city at a population of 62,000 for 250 miles in any west, east, and even south direction. Nothing it's size to the north for nearly 400 miles. Lots of sagebrush, mountain passes, and just a handful of smaller towns in between here and anywhere. It took a week for my local Discount Tire store to obtain my current larger tires from Texas. If I got a flat tire and it is not repairable, my truck wouldn't have a replacement for at least another week. I need to have the same size spare available due to the 4x4 use of all the same size tires in winter here can become a necessity for just getting home.

Last edited:

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Not to hijack here but I have a related question.....is a full size matching spare even neccessary?

Stock spare is 33" so if I jump to 35"s for the 4 on the ground and then only use the spare as a temporary tire in an emergency to get me home wouldn't that be fine?

If i made sure the 33" was on the front axle that would be even better right?

If you want to use 4x4, you need to have a matching size spare. Yeah, you could probably limp it home on an undersized spare in 2WD, but for how I use my truck that isn’t an option.

When I make the switch to 37s for summer tires, the spare probably won’t go with me (in the back of the truck) for daily driving, but I also can’t remember the last time I got an on-road flat with an off-road tire. I carry everything I need to repair a tire in the truck at all times, so I’m not stranded if I don’t have a spare. I just have to get a little dirty to fix it. I can even break a tire off the wheel and patch it from the inside if I need to.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
OP
OP
G

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I figured that it would shake, rattle, and roll due to it having to fit a 2" receiver vs our 2 1/2" even with a sleeve. Also, one must have a seriously long ball mount in order to tow off of it. Good to know about it not holding up off road either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
The newer designed General Grabber X3 (M/T) tire in the 315 70R17 has a 34.4" diameter, is Load Range E with a 3 ply tire carcass and 18/32" deep tread with full depth sipes, and weighs in at a whopping 77 lbs. Technically a 8.5" to 10" width wheel is recommended, but other tire brands of this size fit on the stock 8" wide wheel.

Since the BFG KO2 of this size is stated as 34.4" and fits tightly inflated underneath into the Power Wagon spare tire location, the Grabber X3 should then too. Might go with the Generals on my next set of tires which will be in quite a long while. I would have purchased these X3 tires in my last tire purchase, if I had known about them.

m25443

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

How about at 30 PSI or so? Would they fit then?

m25443

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
30 psi is almost street pressure for a 35” tire. I drop mine under 10 psi to fit under the bed.

Thanks. Good to know that a 34.8" Toyo MT 35x12.50r17 will fit in the stock spare tire location at 10 psi. I carry a portable compressor, so that would be a workable arrangement for me.

-Mike

OP
OP
G

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Thanks. Good to know that a 34.8" Toyo MT 35x12.50r17 will fit in the stock spare tire location at 10 psi. I carry a portable compressor, so that would be a workable arrangement for me.

-Mike

For those of us whom live within the Snowbelt, a portable air compressor with a low PSI spare tire may not be an ideal situation to rely on for the replacement of a flat tire during the winter.

The Smittybilt is stated as the most powerful air compressor in its class. However, it's operating temperature is down to 4 degrees Fahrenheit (corrected on 11/6/18 from minus 4). It's not unusual within many locations in Alaska, Canada, and in the lower 48 including my own to be get much colder. For example...the city of Gunnison, Colorado average low in January is minus 7 degrees Fahrenheit.

https://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/32.htm

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/gunnison/colorado/united-states/usco0175

Last edited:

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
For those of us whom live within the Snowbelt, a portable air compressor with a low PSI spare tire may not be an ideal situation to rely on for the replacement of a flat tire during the winter.

The Smittybilt is stated as the most powerful air compressor in its class. However, it's operating temperature is down to minus 4 degrees Fahrenheit. It's not unusual within many locations in Alaska, Canada, and in the lower 48 including my own to be get much colder. For example...the city of Gunnison, Colorado average low in January is minus 7 degrees Fahrenheit.

https://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/32.htm

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/gunnison/colorado/united-states/usco0175

Get a long hose and long battery leads, run a portable from in the cab. Install a built-in under the back seat. Install a built in under the hood. Lots of ways to skin that cat.

OP
OP
G

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Get a long hose and long battery leads, run a portable from in the cab. Install a built-in under the back seat. Install a built in under the hood. Lots of ways to skin that cat.

Best to do the same thing with a standard hydraulic jack, if it is used out in extreme cold to change a flat. Unless the jack is factory filled or refilled with synthetic hydraulic oil its lifting capability will be reduced and/or won't lift.

Last edited:

m25443

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here in Texas that's not an issue for me. But, if it were, then I'd consider carrying a small air tank to fill up the 1 tire.

OP
OP
G

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Glad to hear that it stays warm in Texas.

(Update 11/13/2018 5:30 AM) It's minus 4 degrees Fahrenheit this morning in Gunnison, Colorado where we've been camping nearby. Too cold for most off the shelf air compressors and hydraulic bottle/floor jacks within a cold Power Wagon until warmed up. Even my outdoor thermometer would have stopped functioning at around 0 degrees without the replacement of it's alkaline batteries with lithium.

Last edited: