Last of the regular cab short bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just curious, who has a last year model 2022 regular cab short bed? Ram ended the classics production of the short bed according to my dealer. We are the minority now. Would love some pics and stories on why this truck?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

It appears that Regular Cabs will only be sold as a Fleet Vehicle, in other words Commercial trucks
Commercial Vehicles are all Long Beds

OP
OP
Lsujker

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

It appears that Regular Cabs will only be sold as a Fleet Vehicle, in other words Commercial trucks
Commercial Vehicles are all Long Beds
Correct but with the 8' box only. My dealer was unable to order the shorter box for 2023 or center console.
IN about 60 days, everything new about Ram will garbage, to my way of thinking
60 days is very specific. What do you know?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It was posted in the spring by another forum member that RCSB's were [then] to be discontinued in '22. And the forum member bought one while he could. If you're looking for one, now might be a good time to pick up a low mile used one, perhaps still under warranty (then extend the warranty).

Young guys (teenagers) I've talked to lately, many of them seem to be snapping back to liking RC trucks. They're not buyers yet, but we'll see if that translates into a market movement down the road. I think the RCSB truck will definitely be back. It's going to increase the value of your though.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I wrote 60 days, because that will be mid October

That is when the Texas State Fair
Fri, Sep 29, 2023 – Sun, Oct 22, 2023
will end & Rams will soon after be on the showroom floors

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
yeah, but if they ever bring it back, it will likely have a Lithium battery...

Well, if it's a big batt it should go like the dickens! LOL (at least for a couple miles :hmm:)

OP
OP
Lsujker

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hard to not spur up EV pitfalls conversation with the obvious changes to the automotive industry. This is the cliff dive from the top of engine horsepower wars so revel in our recent past. There will be a tipping point when the world figures out lithium is inadequate and transportation/economy suffers. should be fun.

We got a little off topic. all comments from CC and QC owners so where are my two door guys? I'm I the only one left?

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Hard to not spur up EV pitfalls conversation with the obvious changes to the automotive industry. This is the cliff dive from the top of engine horsepower wars so revel in our recent past. There will be a tipping point when the world figures out lithium is inadequate and transportation/economy suffers. should be fun.

We got a little off topic. all comments from CC and QC owners so where are my two door guys? I'm I the only one left?

You're not alone; I have a '22 RC but I went with the long bed. Family, friends, strangers etc think I'm an odd duck for driving a RC. Appearance is everything to the shallow masses.

I recently brought the truck to RAM for a software update/recall. The service guy comes out, looks at the truck and says "we don't see many of these". He then looked at me and said "it's the same chassis and engine that everyone else is paying $25K more for".

I had an '07 RAM RCLB for about 7 years. I'd still have it if it could have been saved. I never once missed the back seat. I have a tent that's made for the bed and I throw an air mattress in there to camp.

IMG_20230617_174308750_HDR.jpg
InkedIMG_20220913_151334498_HDR.jpg

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
RC here too ...but not SWB! Nothing fancy. Actually I started out looking for a SWB, not many avail at the time. Lately I've seen quite a few though online (used). I prefer a SWB/RC tk. They're really fun to drive (have a SWB GMC).

Truck_New_Tires_9_2022.jpg

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What do they say? "Everything old is new again."

You can almost see how this will play out: Eventually pickup truck sales will sag or Chrysler will decide to stop 4th gen sales ...and shine the spotlight back onto 5th gen trucks. Ford BTW still sells a short box truck. At that time, or maybe the introduction of the 6th gen, they'll introduce a real sporty edition RC SWB pickup to create a big news buzz and maybe boost sales. Maybe a Lil Red Truck reboot. Who knows what the propulsion system will be?

So I think it's just a matter of 'when' till we see a new RC/SB truck. But probably not a 4th gen.

Sidebar: The current news is dealers aren't able to sell very many EVs and are refusing new allocations. The companies may have saturated early adopters.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
My 2017 RAM is an rcsb @ 49,000 miles and still looks like it just came off the new car lot.

Where I reside a regular cab short bed truck these days is almost non existent, especially a RAM 1500.

I supposedly guess that their isn't anything practical about having one anymore and could it also possibly be that the "carbon footprint" for the rcsb doesn't fit in with EPA standards?

I occasionally will get a comment about my truck and the usual " ... man, you don't see many of those anymore ... does it "got" a HEMI?

So, I'll keep mine and keep on hammering down the roads and highways.

OP
OP
Lsujker

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ford BTW still sells a short box truck. At that time, or maybe the introduction of the 6th gen, they'll introduce a real sporty edition RC SWB pickup to create a big news buzz and maybe boost sales.
Ford does and believe GM just resurfaced with one as well but all bare bones models. What made the Ram 2022 unique was was the express. Not fancy like leather or huge screens but better than the other two. You could get painted bumpers w/ 20” wheels, center console, bucket seats, decent display and cluster, big v8… amazing what they continued to provide in comparison as the market shifted. You can’t get the other two with the flagship engines.

Personally don’t believe we will see a resurgence. Not educated on GMs or Fords reg numbers but can’t be great. All the big players are watching trends from the others. Dodge hit “buzz” gold with the hellcat. That was on an existing platform and it’s going away. Ram no longer has a SCSWB to jump from.

Tenbearzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2015 Ram R/T honestly, has never been drivin' in the rain at 16k I treasure this truck .... The end of an era folks, absolutely

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ohhhh...they'll get the batteries figured out eventually. Weigh a LOT less, charge faster, last longer, cost less ...and who knows, may not even use lithium. OR, maybe these hydrogen fuel cells (I didn't say hydrogen gas operated) that Toyota has created (almost amazing tech) will evolve into the next big tech. For one, there's a lot fewer parts to fail than an engine/transmission.

People will buy new non-piston vehicles if they work better, not a big hassle and are affordable. If not, they won't. That's all there is to it. We're not there yet for me. No oil, no cam failures, no rod damage, kind of sounds appealing though. But how are we going to survive without the weekly "What's the best oil for my truck?" forum posts???:banghead: LOL!

Short box trucks will be back. But they won't be the nice-looking 4th gen classics like you guys have!! Yeah ....hang onto them!

____

Ramtuf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I ordered a 22 regular cab short bed in hydro blue. I absolutely love it. 2wd , hemi,392 gears, posi, bucket seats. This truck is so fast.

Attachments

• IMG_6234.jpeg
    IMG_6234.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7280.jpeg
    IMG_7280.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 25