"Last user mode" for exhaust brake on 6.7 CTD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lardog888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Does anyone know if there is a way to have the exhaust brake setting have last user mode? In other words, if I put it in "auto" it stays in auto for subsequent drive cycles until I change it?

I recently purchased a 2016 2500 BH Mega, and would reall like it if I could just leave the exhaust brake in auto for most use, and full when the trailer is connected.

Thanks for the info!

Larry

OP
OP
L

Lardog888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Am I alone on this? Is there anyone else out there that wishes that their exhaust brake setting stays where they left it?

Maybe it's just me...

boomer_rich

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 DRW
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I don't think you can do anything about it unless you think of your own modification. I believe its a "liability" dodge is worried about since it's not recommended to use the exhaust break during inclement weather conditions. I've gotten into a routine now that its the first button I press after I start the engine.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
On each ignition cycle, the exhaust brake is off unless I have a trailer connected, then it is on and in the last mode set. I guess you could build a trailer brake simulator (pick up an electromagnet from a trailer supply store) and connect it to trick the truck.

OP
OP
L

Lardog888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't think you can do anything about it unless you think of your own modification. I believe its a "liability" dodge is worried about since it's not recommended to use the exhaust break during inclement weather conditions. I've gotten into a routine now that its the first button I press after I start the engine.

I guess that makes sense, but in Southern California we have inclement weather about twice a year (and even then, "inclement" would only loosely apply). One would think that if the behavior is always consistent, one would be conditioned to the way the truck will react in a given situation. I will start conditioning myself to press the button twice each time I start the truck.

On each ignition cycle, the exhaust brake is off unless I have a trailer connected, then it is on and in the last mode set. I guess you could build a trailer brake simulator (pick up an electromagnet from a trailer supply store) and connect it to trick the truck.

This is hopeful. I haven't towed with the new truck yet, as I only have ~500 miles on it and wanted to break it in some first. If this is the case, then there is hope. I'll have to figure out exactly how the truck senses that the trailer is connected. I hope it's not by the circuit for the trailer brake breakaway or I'll have to remember to disconnect it each time I connect the trailer, or it'll prevent an actual breakaway from being sensed. More research is needed here...

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply.

Wandell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I think you could do this with the 3rd gens but I don't think anyone has figured out a way to do it with the 4th gens.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I'll have to figure out exactly how the truck senses that the trailer is connected. I hope it's not by the circuit for the trailer brake breakaway or I'll have to remember to disconnect it each time I connect the trailer, or it'll prevent an actual breakaway from being sensed. More research is needed here...

If my memory is correct, once every 250 milliseconds the ITBM sends a short energy pulse out the trailer brake line looking for an inductive load, if it senses the inductive load, it is convinced electric brakes are connected. The simulated circuit could be attach to the trailer connector, you could build the circuit into a 7-way plug guaranteeing removal before connecting a trailer.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'll have to figure out exactly how the truck senses that the trailer is connected. I hope it's not by the circuit for the trailer brake breakaway.

It uses the electric brake output circuit to the trailer.
My buddy's trailer emergency brake away cable was pulled while he was towing with his 2500 CTD. It burnt up the brake electromagnets from the brakes being applied while towing. The "Trailer Disconnected" warning popped up. He had to replace the electromagnets before it would recognize the trailer brakes again.