Leaking rear differential on 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 with DANA 70

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billythe kidd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
99 Dodge RAM 2500 Diesel 4X4 164K Automatic transmission

Having a leak after doing a rear differential Gasket job on vehicle that I just bought.

Vehicle is a 99 Dodge RAM 2500 Diesel 4X4. The only gasket I could find after checking with 5 auto parts stores was a cork gasket. Not my favorite at all....Was told by the store that no need to put any RTV with it, just the gasket. Instructions on gasket confirmed that. Cleaned housing and cover surfaces of all residue. Put gasket on, tightened up 10 BRAND NEW bolts that I just bought in the recommended sequences, but did not torque them as torque wrench became "missing in action".

Took a 25 mile ride hitting about 60 MPH for about 10 miles of the trip. The rest of the trip was local roads averaging 40 MPH. When turning in the driveway I could still feel the binding with the limited slip issue with the rear end. Is 25 miles perhaps not enough distance for the LS additive to get to work? It was only 24 degrees during the ride, or should I be suspicious that the clutches or other rear differential components are problematic? Upon inspection the rear end is STILL LEAKING just about the same as before I started. GRRRRRRR! The leak if from around the outer cover housing and bolts area.

Questions I have with folks that have done these gaskets, do you think it would matter at all if I ran a torque on the bolts or go ahead and drain the rear differential and start over. Believe I should be able to save the fluid as at $13.99 a quart PLUS the cost of the LS fluid, would try my best to reuse it. I went all of 25 miles. Is the rubber gaskets a better bet and perhaps use some RTV as well as the rubber gasket especially around the bolt hole areas. Or is RTV only the way to do one that is having a leaking problem.

The two bolts that I found that don’t go it straight and flush, the previous owner had put washers on them to take up the slack.

Looking for suggestions before going after this again.