Leaking trans fluid from top of trans-46re

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr. Baseball

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
I recently did a transmission service on my '98 Ram with 46re. New filter and about 6 quarts, closer to 7, and new rubber gasket.

I thought gasket was leaking but it's leaking from above. I cleaned best I could. I thought it may be o-ring for dipstick tube since leak appears to be towards front but doesn't look like it.

Are all the internal/external moving parts, such as linkage, only accessible by taking transmission apart to replace seals? I really need some advice, I spent $1,300 for rebuild 28k miles ago. Warranty is up.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice I would really appreciate your help. Thank you.

Want to add it was leaking fluid before service but thought it was gasket. Thanks again.

Last edited:

RamV10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10
I recently did a transmission service on my '98 Ram with 46re. New filter and about 6 quarts, closer to 7, and new rubber gasket.

I thought gasket was leaking but it's leaking from above. I cleaned best I could. I thought it may be o-ring for dipstick tube since leak appears to be towards front but doesn't look like it.

Are all the internal/external moving parts, such as linkage, only accessible by taking transmission apart to replace seals? I really need some advice, I spent $1,300 for rebuild 28k miles ago. Warranty is up.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice I would really appreciate your help. Thank you.

Want to add it was leaking fluid before service but thought it was gasket. Thanks again.

Is it blowing fluid out the vent tube?

OP
OP
M

Mr. Baseball

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Thanks and sorry haven't replied sooner. From what I've read i thought standard 46re don't have a vent tube, just a vent hole, but people do drill housing and add vent tube. Or tap vent hole, not sure.

I may be completely wrong so I will feel around and look with flashlight and mirror.

Thank you. I'll post what I find.

RamV10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10
I don't know for sure either. I just knew that coming from the top that was a thought.

wingnut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Vent tube is near the exhaust manifold, on the right side. Be careful not to over-fill this trans. The 46 series trannys have a small quirk in them. They dont pump fluid in park! This is why extended idling is bad for them. The fluid in a 46 must be checked in neutral, parking-brake on. And as always, use ATF+3, or the higher +4 (interchangeable). Older "Chrysler-compatible", or "For Chrysler" tranny fluids are very bad. Must say ATF +3 or higher.

OP
OP
M

Mr. Baseball

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Thank you for the info! Very much appreciated. Haven't had time so drove as little as possible, checking fluid level each time. It leaks a couple drops after driving.

I'll check vent today and clean best I can to pin point leak. I had no idea it didn't pump in park, I do check level in neutral. Also I've been letting it warm up to operating temp (engine) before driving, guess letting it idle in park too long not good idea, especially if trans isn't even pumping. I do go thru the gears several times before checking level and check again after driving. I can only find +4 so that is what I used.

Thanks again, just learned a lot. I definitely don't want another rebuild.

OP
OP
M

Mr. Baseball

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Well this is what I found: I didn't torque pan bolts properly when I serviced. My foot pound torque wrench isn't so good at low torque so I guesstamated. Haynes says 13 foot pounds. I recently bought an inch pound torque wrench. In 3 graduations in criss cross pattern I torqued to 156 inch pounds (13 foot pounds). Bolts were no where near that. Since bolt holes go through trans the fluid must have been leaking from bolt holes and spreading so it looked like higher leak. I know, very basic, should have known better.

I followed the 2 vent hoses from passenger side down. One goes to front differential and other goes to a canister on frame towards rear. Cant find one for trans still. I cleaned up and will see how it is in few days. Thank you for your help and knowledge.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I may be wrong but I'm thinking the vent for the trans is on TOP of the trans. Which is why you can't ford these trucks. lol

OP
OP
M

Mr. Baseball

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
It was pan bolts. Dry now. Important to use torque wrench.

Yes I found diy that shows pics of vent. It is hole in top. In the diy the person drilled a hole in top of bell housing and epoxied a vent tube in the vent hole then ran hose thru hole he drilled, routed to engine compartment, and added breather vent. It seems only way to access vent is to remove transmission!

I removed starter and inspection plate. Couldn't see much. Was dry. Well so far no leaks and fluid level hasn't changed since torqued pan bolts so hope that's all it was.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca