Leaky Gas Tank - Easy Access?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Guys (and Gals), I have a bit of a leaky gas tank and need to address it. About 4 months ago I had a new fuel pump installed at a shop, it's been over 90 days so it's too late to have them take a look at it. I am thinking it's a bad filler hose (I have a replacement), or possibly the o-ring on the fuel pump. But...

Is there a trick to get access to the top of the fuel tank and/or lifting the bed? I don't have a lift - only jack and jack stands so I can't drop the tank completely.

Thanks!

Pic:
IMG_20190108_134853.jpg

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I had a tank leak on my 03 last year. The leak was on the very top at the hose line connection. The neck seal failed after 16 years. HAD to drop the tank. Then get a salvage replacement. A new one was $1000. Considered trying to JB weld the neck leak. Replacement was only $180 and was in better shape than mine, overall.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Fairly easy to drop it.
Worst potential issue is the strap bolts possibly being seized. All you need is a floor jack with a block of wood between it and the tank for support and to prevent damage.

jerryt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you know anyone with a motorcycle jack it would have two arms for better support. I also seem to remember some way of lowering the tank with straps, but I don't remember exactly how.

OP
OP
Brando_SLT

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We'll after being out of commission due to health reasons, I was finally able to take a look at my gas tank. I ordered a replacement filler hose thinking it was split, damaged, or cracked.

I got the old one off and took a look at the attachment point on the top. It looks to me like the plastic flange either cracked or developed a leak. What do you guys think?

IMG_20190303_163624.jpg

As a band-aid I thoroughly cleaned the area and applied some 3M bond. I have used that stuff for countless solutions that require a gasoline or oil proof seal. I'm worried I might need a new gas tank. I can't afford one. Can it be saved?

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
We'll after being out of commission due to health reasons, I was finally able to take a look at my gas tank. I ordered a replacement filler hose thinking it was split, damaged, or cracked.

I got the old one off and took a look at the attachment point on the top. It looks to me like the plastic flange either cracked or developed a leak. What do you guys think?

View attachment 157513

As a band-aid I thoroughly cleaned the area and applied some 3M bond. I have used that stuff for countless solutions that require a gasoline or oil proof seal. I'm worried I might need a new gas tank. I can't afford one. Can it be saved?
Brando, that is the classic location for tank leaks on the older RAMS. My 03 went at 15 yrs and 230K miles. new tank from dealer $1100. Used tank from wrecking yard $150-$300. However some people are able to repair the crack in the top with JB weld or a 3m repair product,,,,if they must.

OP
OP
Brando_SLT

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We'll today was the test. I went to the gas station and filled it up. 26 gallons. When I got home, sure enough it was leaking still.

Looks like I will have to drive it more to get the gas level down, drop the tank down, and do a more thorough repair.

Other options would be a replacement tank. Here's the funny thing - rock auto has replacement tanks that are plastic but mine is metal. I'll look into used tanks tomorrow. Ugh.