Lease RAM 1500 - Scratch in paint..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

af2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm leasing a 2018 RAM 1500. Got the paint protection warranty but it only covers scratches not down to metal.

I got a 8" scratch in my rear passenger door from a rogue cart at Lowes (and yes I was parked far away).

How screwed am I when it comes time to turn in my lease if I leave the scratch as is?

The warranty company said the entire panel would have to be redone as there is also a dent. I feel like if i try to fix it myself, the dealership will never be 'content' with the fix in order to milk as much money from me as possible.

Do dealerships charge you what 'they believe' it would cost to fix it before you can turn in the lease?

I know if i buy the truck instead of turn it in it wont matter, but im not sure if i want to do that yet.

..and my dealership sucks fyi.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm leasing a 2018 RAM 1500. Got the paint protection warranty but it only covers scratches not down to metal.

I got a 8" scratch in my rear passenger door from a rogue cart at Lowes (and yes I was parked far away).

How screwed am I when it comes time to turn in my lease if I leave the scratch as is?

The warranty company said the entire panel would have to be redone as there is also a dent. I feel like if i try to fix it myself, the dealership will never be 'content' with the fix in order to milk as much money from me as possible.

Do dealerships charge you what 'they believe' it would cost to fix it before you can turn in the lease?

I know if i buy the truck instead of turn it in it wont matter, but im not sure if i want to do that yet.

I guarantee it’ll cost you far less to have it fixed under your comprehensive policy than what the lease company inspector will ding you for when you turn it in.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is what happened to me with my big horn when I came out of lowes their shopping cart was on my drivers door with a nice dent in the door. went into store and spoke with the manager and he looked up the outside video and seen the cart hit my door . they paid 1,200.00 to repair and paint my truck

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That is what happened to me with my big horn when I came out of lowes their shopping cart was on my drivers door with a nice dent in the door. went into store and spoke with the manager and he looked up the outside video and seen the cart hit my door . they paid 1,200.00 to repair and paint my truck

had a similar situation at Costco. They paid for damages due to full cart overflow.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Either way, get it fixed before you turn it in. They usually don't ding you for anything smaller than a credit card, but they'll get you for an 8" scratch and a dent.

OP
OP
af2018

af2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

interesting

OP
OP
af2018

af2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for moving the thread. Wasnt sure which topic it was under :p

OP
OP
af2018

af2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guarantee it’ll cost you far less to have it fixed under your comprehensive policy than what the lease company inspector will ding you for when you turn it in.

i may be thinking of this wrong, but looking long term, if i currently pay $200/month for my insurance policy, and filing a claim raises it to $220, wouldnt it be cheaper to pay out of pocket compared to paying a higher monthly insurance bill for the rest of my life?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i may be thinking of this wrong, but looking long term, if i currently pay $200/month for my insurance policy, and filing a claim raises it to $220, wouldnt it be cheaper to pay out of pocket compared to paying a higher monthly insurance bill for the rest of my life?
That would fall under comprehensive, which won’t raise your rates.

OP
OP
af2018

af2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That would fall under comprehensive, which won’t raise your rates.

Thanks Ill have to check. Normally, when someone else has a good experience and everything falls into place, i end up shafted :rolleyes:

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What did you pay for paint protection?

Why do you pay $200 a month for insurance? Are you high risk?

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What did you pay for paint protection?

Why do you pay $200 a month for insurance? Are you high risk?
I was wondering the same thing......$200 a month for insurance.......I pay less than that for full coverage on two vehicles.......and my wife is a pathetic driver with speeding tickets/accidents......and less than stellar credit.

Coramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Geez. I’ve got full coverage on my ‘18 Ram and my wife’s Camry for less than that. That sucks! Poor driving record or ****** insurance company?

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think in NJ you could still get it under Comp as either hit and run or as act of god. Comp covers your underinsured and hit and run as well, if I remember correctly.
To the original poster, put in the claim and get it done right.

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

It'll cost you WAY less to fix that under your own insurance or out of pocket expense, than if you let the lease company fix it.

Matts175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it's not down to the metal, did you try a buffing wheel? Maybe if it doesn't completely fix it, it'll make it not as noticeable.