Leave it in, or cut it out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
Well, after doing the AC evaporator this weekend I found a GPS tracker that was probably put in this former fleet truck as soon as it was delivered.
20230412_164200.jpg
This one is a pretty simple one, only has a power wire and a ground, nothing more invasive than a wire tap and a hole drilled to screw in the ground.
20230412_163631.jpg
I can easily just remove the splice and tape it up.

My conundrum is, as my wife likes to say that I can be a cheep-a$$ at times . Looks like a free LoJack to me. If the truck that I love ever gets stolen, they can look it up and find it. I only have liability and no-fault, because it was paid for when I brought it home.

I haven't been tailed by the cops since my early 20s and keep myself outta trouble most days.

The only downside I see, is that if someone is looking for my smart-a$$ or wants to track my every move in the truck they can...

Thoughts? Cut it out or keep it?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Spireon & Lojack are one & the same company

OP
OP
metalchewy

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
They can track every move without that. Just leave it, take a picture of the information on the label for future use if needed.
Was thinking the same. I Sent a pic of it to the wife and kids. If I go missing in the mountains 4 wheelin or mountain biking they can at least figure out where I was when I left the truck.

Spireon & Lojack are one & the same company

That was exactly my thought as well.

No kill switch on it, so if I need to go incognito for some reason, leave the cell at home and take the fuse out of the tracker.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Was thinking the same. I Sent a pic of it to the wife and kids. If I go missing in the mountains 4 wheelin or mountain biking they can at least figure out where I was when I left the truck.

That was exactly my thought as well.

No kill switch on it, so if I need to go incognito for some reason, leave the cell at home and take the fuse out of the tracker.
You'll need to unplug your radio as well...

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I always wondered . . . .

The Black Box ( Event Data Recorder ), records everything that happened in the last 20 seconds before an accident, speed, steering wheel movement, any movement of the foot pedals, if you reached over to change the radio or HVAC unit, if the vehicles was hit, jarred, rolled over, everything .

I wonder if there is a way for Searchers to locate the vehicle remotely, using the EDR ?

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Metalchewy if you only have liability and no-fault insurance and your truck is unfortunately stolen or vandalized you will have to come out of your pocket to do repairs or buy a replacement vehicle.
A coworker at the time had his mint 4th gen Ram 1500 stolen from in front of his house in broad daylight, and it was all caught on his ring doorbell camera. Unfortunately he didn't have "comprehensive insurance", so he had to come up with 7k or better and buy a replacement pos older beat up Chevy.

Comprehensive insurance is cheap and it covers, theft, broken glass, acts of vandalism, acts of nature. It's cheap to have that comprehensive coverage and you can have a fifty dollar deductible or less.
I look at it this way, do you want to pay a little and have theft / damage coverage or do you want to take a huge financial hit that takes money from you and your family. Just my 2 cents worth to think about

OP
OP
metalchewy

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
16RAM4x4, I understand what you are saying. I also know what my income and the household can afford.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
16RAM4x4, I understand what you are saying. I also know what my income and the household can afford.
Something to look into. I had been with Allstate for 20+ years since I started driving. Insurance for my wife and I was $230 with no accidents/claims and every discount imaginable. Switching to USAA lowered the cost to $120 for a comparable policy. Switching back to Allstate a year later and it's now $90 for a better policy than what I started with.

Before switching to USAA, Allstate said I was receiving their best rate. What I was getting was the best rate they knew I could afford. This is how the game is played...try switching insurers.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in

that is what I always say.
Only those who cannot actually, pay cash, instantly and at any time, for another vehicle, should worry about Full Coverage.
Those, who can do so, should do exactly like the insurance companies, do, Bet that this vehicle will not get damaged, in any way.
Save that comprehensive premium money.

Might want to find out how much the minimum bond is, for your State, and post that money, in cash.
Then you could do away with insurance, altogether. You just assume the Liability,
by posting the bare minimum, in a Cash, with your State.

Think it's only 25K, in Iowa.
Course, if I am ever at fault, and the damages are more than 25K, there goes the farm.

Guess that;s why most folksw have insurance,
they cannot afford the lost.

Hmmm, might want to re-think this insurance thing.

You do you. as you should.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I had that exact one on the '22 I bought recently. it is mostly for computerized inventory. dealers with multiple locations put those every vehicle they get and all their locations can see what's in inventory at all times. say you are at one location and they dont have exactly the vehicle you want, the dealer can instantly see what similar vehicles might be in the system and they can move invetory around and always know what the have and where. I took mine off as soon as I got home. just snip the wires. they may try to sell you "lojack" service for 995$ using that device but it is not hidden or dialed into the vehicles ecm and any thief would just toss it so not worth much.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Toss it out, you don’t control it and those guys don’t provide location services for free.

Buy an Apple AirTag if you want a tracking system that you control with no subscription fees required. Or the Android equivalent.
Not a bad idea, and hide somewhere not seen, LOL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
stock 5.7 with 6.4l cam and MDS delete
i would say if it were a newer truck i would take it out due to vehicles nowadays being hacked. Yes there are some smart theives out there!!
However, it being a 2010, it would make no difference either way.

Peice of mind says leave it in.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Insurance wise,
i use my Ram as both a personal vehicle & Business vehicle
It is a Commercial Policy for $750,000
Because of that amount, i raised my deductible to $2,500

I have full coverage, but Uninsured Motorist is not available
i don't understand that at all

a very large % of California drivers don't have auto insurance & a many don't even have drivers licenses

jfab6969

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
GT keep in mind that you need to check what Uninsured Motorist covers. Uninsured Motorist for Geico, progressive & State Farm (in NV) only covers medical bills, some policies only for the passenger. It does not cover the vehicle in any way. This just what I have personally read on any of the policies offered to me from my last 3 insurers. I decline that coverage and save a lot on my policies since I have medical insureance already. This is just my experience. If you are based in CA I would seriously look at over 7 figure policies for commercial use, everyone wants to sue for anything these days.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Toss it out, you don’t control it and those guys don’t provide location services for free.

Buy an Apple AirTag if you want a tracking system that you control with no subscription fees required. Or the Android equivalent.
The problem with this type of device is that they have their own battery which requires periodically replacement. Apple claims 1 year for its product which is good but makes it very easy to forget. I've got a Cube tracker on my truck's key ring, which is bluetooth so it wouldn't work as an anti theft device on the truck...but it's fine for keys. But wouldn't you know it, when I really needed it, it didn't work. I finally found the keys without it and when I did I figured out that its battery was dead. With LoJack, and similar devices powered from the vehical, they should work as long as the trucks battery isn't dead.