LED 3157 As DRL?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I am slowly and I think, methodically, updating the truck to LED's. The latest effort was to install Underground Lighting 3157 switchbacks up front for turn/marker lights. I went ahead and set them up for DRL duty as well. Set them to run at 11vdc since they apparently need to run at 10vdc minimum to drive them.

I am updating the lights slowly in case a new set of LED's makes other lights go whackadoodle somehow.

Anyone else using LED switchbacks for DRL's in the quad reflector housing?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I went ahead and set them up for DRL duty as well. Set them to run at 11vdc since they apparently need to run at 10vdc minimum to drive them.
Unless the LED "bulbs" are capable of dimming with lower supplied voltage, they'll shine at full brightness. Being your using the turn/marker light it probably doesn't matter if they dim.

OP
OP
NETim

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Unless the LED "bulbs" are capable of dimming with lower supplied voltage, they'll shine at full brightness. Being your using the turn/marker light it probably doesn't matter if they dim.
I was concerned about the heat factor mostly. But yes, I don't know if they'll dim or not.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am slowly and I think, methodically, updating the truck to LED's. The latest effort was to install Underground Lighting 3157 switchbacks up front for turn/marker lights. I went ahead and set them up for DRL duty as well. Set them to run at 11vdc since they apparently need to run at 10vdc minimum to drive them.

I am updating the lights slowly in case a new set of LED's makes other lights go whackadoodle somehow.

Anyone else using LED switchbacks for DRL's in the quad reflector housing?
Have you tried them out yet? I tried switchbacks when I updated my 2018 to LEDs and they triggered bulb out messages. Three different brands yielded the same results and all were supposedly CANBUS ready and my truck set up for LEDs via AlfaOBD. If you got yours to work I’d sure like to pick your brain on how you did it.

OP
OP
NETim

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Have you tried them out yet? I tried switchbacks when I updated my 2018 to LEDs and they triggered bulb out messages. Three different brands yielded the same results and all were supposedly CANBUS ready and my truck set up for LEDs via AlfaOBD. If you got yours to work I’d sure like to pick your brain on how you did it.

I will perform the driving test later today and report back.

OP
OP
NETim

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I will perform the driving test later today and report back.
I am not getting "bulb out" messages BUT I am getting "front park sense-wipe sensor" errors intermittently now AND I do not get white DRL light. I get yellow. Maybe I need to rotate the LED's 180 degrees?

Last edited:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am not getting "bulb out" messages BUT I am getting "front park sense-wipe sensor" errors intermittently now AND I do not get white DRL light. I get yellow. Maybe I need to swap the LED's 180 degrees?
Dang I was hoping it worked out for you. I got a bulb light outage every time I activated the turn signal. On mine the Amber would remain on after turn signal was canceled. Was disappointed but just went with the standard 3157 LED bulb and if i remember correctly it has to have a two step power feature because the marker lights operate at lower power than the turn signals. The Amazon write ups specifically stated the bulb was designed for use in a combo marker/signal application.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
If you get the Underground Lighting switchbacks with the resistor built in; zero issues.
I've got a set in my taillights (3157's in red) and they are super bright and no issues with error messages on the EVIC.

OP
OP
NETim

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If you get the Underground Lighting switchbacks with the resistor built in; zero issues.
I've got a set in my taillights (3157's in red) and they are super bright and no issues with error messages on the EVIC.
That's exactly what I installed, the UL amber switchback 3157's up front. Red 3157's in the tails. No issues whatsover with the tail/brake lights.

So the UL switchbacks are lighting up "white" on DRL and amber on "turn" for you?

The appearance of the park sense errors is throwing me for a loop though.

OP
OP
NETim

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I just dunno. Truck started hyperflashing and indicated both rear turns were out. I double checked my config and it was cool, LED all the way around.

Then, for grins, I gave the brake pedal a push.

Now, no more hyperflash.

I just dunno. :)

I also reset the DRL's back to the high beams.

OP
OP
NETim

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Doh!!! DRL config in AlfaOBD has no option for "park/marker lamps." But it does have one for turn signals, so it's NO wonder that my attempts to config white DRL's off of the turn signal lamps has met with complete and utter failure.

And I'm going to guess that asking the swltchback LED's to act as DRL's overheats their internal resistors, which results in the intermittent hyperflash issue I've experienced since installing the switchbacks.

Doh!