LED Dome light Issue - Pulsating Etc...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usmcscout123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.7
Hey all, I've been lurking around for a little while but I figured I'd finally sign up since I can't figure this out for the life of me. I bought this LED Dome Light replacement for my 07 1500 iJDMTOY 6-SMD 1.72 inches 211-2 578 LED Interior Map Dome Lights, Brilliant Red : Amazon.com : Automotive

I pushed the new light into its place and turned it on from the console. It immediately started pulsating and when I turned it off at the console it was still running but was very dim. So I read up around here and found this http://www.ramforum.com/f52/led_dome_cargo_lights-8509/index2.html

From what I found.... I grabbed a resistor from radio shack. I placed the resistor in between the two connection points on the new LED light and the "Dim light issue" when off went away, but now when I turn it on it pulsates for maybe a whole second before it just turns off.

Not sure what do from here. Any suggestions are very much appreciated!

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
This is interesting, it says you bought the 42mm bulb? On any website I've been on it says to buy a 44mm festoon based bulb... you think this may be it? (if the other websites are correct) maybe the bulb you got (42mm) is loose and you just cant see it shaking? and maybe the 44mm wont?

Last edited:

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
I just bought 3 44mm bulbs in blue... I'm curious if I got wrong bulbs...

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
I'm glad my really old thread was useful! Haha. Quick question. Didn't you put resistors in all of the lights that have LEDs?

OP
OP
U

usmcscout123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.7
This is interesting, it says you bought the 42mm bulb? On any website I've been on it says to buy a 44mm festoon based bulb... you think this may be it? (if the other websites are correct) maybe the bulb you got (42mm) is loose and you just cant see it shaking? and maybe the 44mm wont?

My bulb fits d*** near perfect in the brackets. I am not sure I could fit much more. I will have to again compare my old halogen bulb to my new LED bulb for size.

I'm glad my really old thread was useful! Haha. Quick question. Didn't you put resistors in all of the lights that have LEDs?

I only have one dome light in the back of the cab that faces towards the front, which sometimes sucks because of the lack of light, but I can't stand white light at night in my truck.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
I know. I was wondering if you replaced all the interior lights with LEDs or not. Lol. You might have answered that. But I can't tell!

OP
OP
U

usmcscout123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.7
Lol I'm sorry. The only light I was replacing is the dome light in my truck. It only has one bulb in it which I tried to replace with the LED. I have no other interior lights lol.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Ah. I see. No map lights? What size resistor did you go with?

OP
OP
U

usmcscout123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.7
Not too badly priced. Ill buy one and try it. If it doesn't work, I give up!!!! Haha. Just kidding Ill probably take it somewhere and see if they cant figure it out.

OP
OP
U

usmcscout123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.7
Called a local place, they suggested getting a 1ohm 10watt resistor. Don't do that. Almost caught my truck fire and burnt the S*** out of my fingers. I think I am just giving up!

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Woah. Yeah. No. That's not a good idea. You need one that's low wattage and high resistance. It just needs to replicate the idea that a normal light is there drawing enough power for it to know there's a bulb.

I would suggest buying one where I suggested and see how it goes!