Dome Light question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RCKable

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry for so long of a first post.
I have a 18 1500 Tradesman with only one dome light in the center headliner. It’s to dull so true LED. The manual calls for a 7679, I was told a 211-2 or 578 LED bulb would work however after a few times of opening door or turning it on, it won’t turn on. I assume this a result of computer seeing low voltage and “not sending voltage.” My questions are if I put running board lights on and tap into the dome light wires will that provide enough voltage so when the dome is supposed to come it does and so does my running board lights? Or should I be using a different LED, or worse deal with how dull the lighting is inside?

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine burned out from the light leaking, got a Walmart brand led, had to tighten the metal prongs on the housing or the bulb would wiggled out of the grooves and lose connectivity. Is it possible yours has done the same?

OP
OP
RCKable

RCKable

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got home and checked and it would slide very easily. I “pinched” the prongs and it’s holding tight. So far 5 unlocks and locks and it came on each time. No idea how missed that.
Thank you.

Freakydude

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Sorry for so long of a first post.
I have a 18 1500 Tradesman with only one dome light in the center headliner. It’s to dull so true LED. The manual calls for a 7679, I was told a 211-2 or 578 LED bulb would work however after a few times of opening door or turning it on, it won’t turn on. I assume this a result of computer seeing low voltage and “not sending voltage.” My questions are if I put running board lights on and tap into the dome light wires will that provide enough voltage so when the dome is supposed to come it does and so does my running board lights? Or should I be using a different LED, or worse deal with how dull the lighting is inside?
I would recommend you turn the led bulb around. Some are polarity specific and will only work +/+ -/-. Made in china I guess.

OP
OP
RCKable

RCKable

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you both.
Ever since i squeezed the part of the prongs closest to the roof, and turned it around its been working. Just doing the circular part of the prong didn't last long, but now going on 6 days of it working. It is a Sylvania bulb.