LED headlights in reflector housing...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nowukno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Anyone running leds in there reflector headlight housing? Currently have silverstar ultras and while they are good i want more without changing to projectors. Was gonna try Novsight leds on Amazon and see how they do but read LEDs in reflectors is a bad idea.

MAJ_Charlie

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not so. I've been running LEDs in my quad reflector headlights for over a year now without issue. Also purchased from Amazon. If you have the AlfaOBD program it allows you to program your BCM to see HIDs so you don't have headlight flicker. Since you have a 14...yours can be set for HID or LED.

OP
OP
nowukno

nowukno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not so. I've been running LEDs in my quad reflector headlights for over a year now without issue. Also purchased from Amazon. If you have the AlfaOBD program it allows you to program your BCM to see HIDs so you don't have headlight flicker. Since you have a 14...yours can be set for HID or LED.

I have no idea what the AlfoOBD is...is that a program with certain rams?

big daddys house

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
nowukno

nowukno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Last edited:

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have LEDs in my quads. When I first put them in, I was disappointed too.

I found after some digging that the LEDs should fire out to the sides. The bulbs I got didn't have adjustable mounting rings so I had to drill out the pin on the ring, get the bulbs where I wanted them then used some silicone to put the mounting ring where I wanted it. Changed the light output quite a bit, an it's been a year and a half and they've stayed just fine. Seems most of the newer LEDs have a set screw on the mounting ring so you can set them where you want.

OP
OP
nowukno

nowukno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The novalights I'm getting look to be shorter than some LEDs but I'm still not sure if they will tuck under the covers on the backside of the headlight housing...what the solution for that? Drill a hole and add rubber grommets?

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The novalights I'm getting look to be shorter than some LEDs but I'm still not sure if they will tuck under the covers on the backside of the headlight housing...what the solution for that? Drill a hole and add rubber grommets?
I ordered flexible rubber caps that I secured tightly to the housing opening with zip ties. No problems with moisture in housing using them.

OP
OP
nowukno

nowukno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I ordered flexible rubber caps that I secured tightly to the housing opening with zip ties. No problems with moisture in housing using them.

Editing my own reply...Amazing what has already been discussed on these forums if i would just take the time to search lol...the dust caps are 82mm and there are plenty on ebay for cheap.

Last edited:

big daddys house

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hold up..your telling i can pay $49 for the app and $79 for the scan tool and do all of that? Wow that's crazy. Thank you so much
Yep.
Unless you have a 2018-2019 classic.
Or 2020 at this point I think....
Those years need a bypass harness

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
nowukno

nowukno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yep.
Unless you have a 2018-2019 classic.
Or 2020 at this point I think....
Those years need a bypass harness

Nope mine is 2014 outdoorsman crew cab...one last question tho...going to get the Novsight low beam h11 and Novsight high beam 9005...is it a good idea to get the 9006 Novsight as well for the fogs? Been reading some mixed impressions on the idea cuz blinding oncoming traffic.

Last edited:

big daddys house

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope mine is 2014 outdoorsman crew cab...one last question tho...going to get the Novsight low beam h11 and Novsight high beam 9005...is it a good idea to get the 9006 Novsight as well for the fogs? Been reading some mixed impressions on the idea cuz blinding oncoming traffic.
I mean that's really entirely up to you.
However you don't need to drive with the fog lights on or disable drop out.
Hope you enjoy my videos and have fun modding!

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
man I am so %#%^#%^##%^ sick of seeing other peoples' glare burning a hole in my retina from their low grade B.S. LED "up"grades.. and of course nobody thinks that applies to them.

I can tell you what if I see your truck coming toward me or in my mirrors and your headlights are spamming out glare, you've been judged at that point and it ain't favorable.

OP
OP
nowukno

nowukno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I mean that's really entirely up to you.
However you don't need to drive with the fog lights on or disable drop out.
Hope you enjoy my videos and have fun modding!

Def dont need to drive with fog lights on just like the look it produces when they are on...and def enjoying your vids...subscribed!

big daddys house

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Def dont need to drive with fog lights on just like the look it produces when they are on...and def enjoying your vids...subscribed!
Thanks brother.
Have a new engine I have to pay for lol

OP
OP
nowukno

nowukno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
man I am so %#%^#%^##%^ sick of seeing other peoples' glare burning a hole in my retina from their low grade B.S. LED "up"grades.. and of course nobody thinks that applies to them.

I can tell you what if I see your truck coming toward me or in my mirrors and your headlights are spamming out glare, you've been judged at that point and it ain't favorable.

I'm assuming that glare comes from white led fog lights from what I've been researching... which has me strongly leaning towards yellow led and using them when i actually need to cut the fog.

KPMH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have LEDs in my quads. When I first put them in, I was disappointed too.

I found after some digging that the LEDs should fire out to the sides. The bulbs I got didn't have adjustable mounting rings so I had to drill out the pin on the ring, get the bulbs where I wanted them then used some silicone to put the mounting ring where I wanted it. Changed the light output quite a bit, an it's been a year and a half and they've stayed just fine. Seems most of the newer LEDs have a set screw on the mounting ring so you can set them where you want.

Yup, I know what you mean. I got the Diode Dynamics low and high beam LED's. The low beams installed correctly as delivered with the LED's pointing to 3 and 9 o'clock and provide excellent light output. I had to adjust the mounting ring for the high beams, though, as they were out 90 degrees. That meant, however, that things were so tight I could not install the cover and used some duct tape to cover the hole. Not ideal but it works. If I had to do it again, I would only get the low beam LED's and get some Sylvania Ultrabrights for the high beam since you don't use them much anyway, plus save about $100. I talked to DD about this but they didn't have a clue. Nice thing with these LED's was that no messages were generated and no need for Alpha OBD. I have a 2015 with Quads.

Here's the problem I was referring to. The good thing is I have backups for the low beams as the bulbs are the same, only the mounting ring is different and can be interchanged. If one should go out, I'll do what I suggested above.

LED High Beam Problem (5).JPG

LED High Beam Problem (6).JPG

Just my 2 cents.

Pete