Led High Beam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HM_SanDiego

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Hydro/Laser Blue CC Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I finally got these led bulbs installed, last. Isn’t.

The katanas do in fact fit in the low beam socket, with the back of the bulb fan area actually snug against the cover when reinstalled, but I thinks it will be ok - time will tell.

I didn’t try the katanas in the high beam spot, but given how tight that area is, I honestly don’t think they would fit..... the comparison between the katanas and the max5 led bulbs I got for the high beams - the max5’s are noticeably shorter on the back in the fan area than the katanas.....

Clocking of the katanas is easy and 100% and 360 degree adjustable, allowing you to get them set exactly, while in comparison, the other bulbs I ordered and installed in the high beams - the Max5 bulbs only have 3 positions for clocking, so I have them in the high beam spot, unfortunately they will not clock to have the leds at 3 & 9.....they will line up at 12 & 6, or I have them in now and they approximately at 2 & 7.....

I have not had the chance to road test at night with the bulbs, or to check the beam patterns on the garage door, but will do so as soon as I can.

I was surprised to find I was able to install high and low beam sets without decoders, and when I was done and tested all for function around 6pm (still plenty of daylight) I had no errors on the dash for lights out, and no flickering - I sure hope that continues.

Last edited:

Noeyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For the guys running the led’s on the highs, is the output light farther than halogens? Im sure they are brighter but curious if the light illuminates farther out than a regular bulb.
Absolutely. Throws the light way down the road

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Woody1

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Absolutely. Throws the light way down the road

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
What lights did you use? I run my low beams and fogs together and they work great around town. I just need something to reach out a lil farther when I have the high beams on, and on some back roads.

mcryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Just to confirm, high beams do not need canbus/anti flicker? I have Nineo II’s in low beam with diode dynamics module and works perfect.

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check out BRI Source for these.

Thanks for the link which will save about $50-60.

Do you run those same lights as your hi beam? If so how do u like them ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I am not running them in the High Beam. I did use the V.4 in the low. They work great.

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I was able to get opt7 led's to fit in the high beams. You don't need canbus adapters for highs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Why don't you need canbus for high beam?
Also, do your high beams act as dimmed DRL?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Why don't you need canbus for high beam?
Also, do your high beams act as dimmed DRL?

High beams aren't controlled by the pwm (pulse width modulation, which is designed to extend the life of the bulbs)

Yes if you select high beams for drl's they are just reduced power. I used highs for drl's for a little while when I had my quad headlights in and didn't have a issue with flickering because of the lower voltage. But I believe others have.

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman
1990 5.9L 12v Cummins W250