LED Rocker Switch Always On

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robdawg14m

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So I wired up my 42" light bar this weekend and used the wiring harness with relay that was included. Everything works as it is supposed to, so the rocker switch turns the light off and on. The problem I am having is that the led rocker switch stays on even with the light off and the truck off. I wired the switch to the relay, ground, and battery with a in line fuse just like the diagram showed, but I'm assuming that the constant power from the battery is what is causing my LED problem. Will wiring the switch to the fuse box fix the problem?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
nope. you need to wire the switch LED to the other side of the switch so that it only gets power when the switch is turned on. You have it piggybacked to the side of the switch that has constant power.

EDIT: or if your switch LED is wired internal to the switch, you have your switch wired backwards. Reverse the power in/power out wires.

Last edited:
OP
OP
robdawg14m

robdawg14m

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It's only a three prong switch. Here is the install instructions and how I have it wired to the relay. http://s3.amazonaws.com/roughcountry/install/92709SW.pdf

The first thing I tried was reversing the power in/power out wires and it didn't fix it. I have 2 of the same switch and wired it to the second one to make sure it wasn't an issue with the switch, but it did the same thing.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Edit: Your power out goes to post 87 on your relay, your power in comes from something like the cigarette lighter? and the third post on the switch is ground?

Last edited:
OP
OP
robdawg14m

robdawg14m

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well the relay has an adapter that connects all the wires, so I cant really tell if the relay was wired correctly from the factory. I think I'm just going to create my own harness and wire that up to see if it solves the problem. I just don't want to drain my battery or burn out the LED light with it constantly on, plus it's kind of driving me crazy.

madrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the issue is being connected directly to the battery. Try a different 12v source like the acc cigarette wire.

OP
OP
robdawg14m

robdawg14m

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yeah, that was the problem. I used an add a fuse wire and connected it to the cigarette lighter slot and then tapped the switch wire into that. It works like a charm now.

madrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good to hear it worked out.