Left my 19 engine running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cliff W

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not use to having an engine On/Off push button. I forgot to turn off the engine. It idled for 4 hours. Is there a warning signal making the driver aware the engine is still running when the key fob is no longer in r near the truck? It seems like there should be. I have the Longhorn with the 12 in display.

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Pushing the button should simply replace turning and pulling the key in your regular shutdown sequence. Muscle memory should take over after a short time driving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've almost done it - but it's pretty hard to not knows its running when you get out lol. I always notice as I open driver door before getting out.

TcRoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've gotten out and left it running, but where I park I always walk past the back so I caught it quickly. I told the wife a louder Flowmaster system might help.

lol good thinking there.. my thinking was along the same line.. since I don't have nav which gives remote start option on my app to let me know its started.. A nice Flowmaster lets me know it started in the morning from inside the house,, my neighbors too lol

JSMITH8505

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS
Ok, it's a new truck, so you're still getting used to it, but The chime should have been the alerting factor that the engine was left on. This may be a concern that it didnt register.

Last year my 35 year old next door neighbor had a similar thing happen. He drove in his garage, parked, and went inside. 10 minutes later the house alarm went off and a firetruck came roaring down the street.

He had left the car running and went inside the house, and the garage smoke detector went off signaling the house alarm. He didnt smell the exhaust at all. His wife arrived with their kids after the fire truck pulled up and was shocked that the house reeked of exhaust and he just sat watching TV. Totally unaware.

Turns out earlier that week his wife found his car keys in the refrigerator. He tried to downplay it, saying he was probably just preoccupied, but agreed at my wife's urging (she's a nurse) to get checked. Long story short, it turns out that he had a micro-bleed in his brain that somehow affected his cognitive abilities. He got checked out by a neurologist, and in a few week's time had made a full recovery. It was sort like of a stroke, but not quite.

I mention that because at our age, even though we're not old, we have to be open to the idea that sometimes things happen that may point to something else. If it's nothing, fine, but if you notice other things in your life being "different" or being misplaced or lost, keep an open mind and get it checked.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, it's a new truck, so you're still getting used to it, but The chime should have been the alerting factor that the engine was left on. This may be a concern that it didnt register.

Last year my 35 year old next door neighbor had a similar thing happen. He drove in his garage, parked, and went inside. 10 minutes later the house alarm went off and a firetruck came roaring down the street.

He had left the car running and went inside the house, and the garage smoke detector went off signaling the house alarm. He didnt smell the exhaust at all. His wife arrived with their kids after the fire truck pulled up and was shocked that the house reeked of exhaust and he just sat watching TV. Totally unaware.

Turns out earlier that week his wife found his car keys in the refrigerator. He tried to downplay it, saying he was probably just preoccupied, but agreed at my wife's urging (she's a nurse) to get checked. Long story short, it turns out that he had a micro-bleed in his brain that somehow affected his cognitive abilities. He got checked out by a neurologist, and in a few week's time had made a full recovery. It was sort like of a stroke, but not quite.

I mention that because at our age, even though we're not old, we have to be open to the idea that sometimes things happen that may point to something else. If it's nothing, fine, but if you notice other things in your life being "different" or being misplaced or lost, keep an open mind and get it checked.

Wow that's scary, crazy how so many things can kill you in ways you would never expect. Was the neighbors car push button start as well? When I first read the OP I couldn't imagine doing such a thing (leaving without shutting the vehicle off). However, I've never had push button start and I think without ever physically handling your keys (if they are just in your pocket the whole time) it would make it much easier to get out and forget to turn it off (at least if you have stock exhaust).