Level with cut rear springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbwrench

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Guys,
New to the forum but been lurking for awhile. I have a 2012 Express RCSB. I travel for work alot so it does'nt get much mileage. Eventually I will do a 2/4 and probably upgrade the headlights but for now I just want to level it out. I know the pros and cons of cut springs. Been there. Done that. Simple question for those who have done it; 1 1/2 coils or 2 coils to get the rear level. I searched all the forums and this looks like the range people are working in, just looking for first hand knowledge. Thanks for any help.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
for the price of the Ground Force 2" leveling kit and new shocks, why cut? Its a brand new truck dont let $200 stop ya :)

Welcome to the site, thats the exact leveling I did, and love it.

OP
OP
S

sbwrench

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Kind of not what I was looking for but i appreciate the input. I've lowered plenty of vehicles with cut springs and I know how to calculate before and after rates, etc. The plan is to go with a 2/4 down the road but level it for now for NO COST as I will be getting springs when I do the kit. Most kits can't be broken up separately so it makes no sense to double buy. I don't see how people argue you're screwing up a new truck either. Buy some new o.e.m springs and put it back to stock down the road. Big deal. Any way, rant over. So which is it ? 1 1/2 or 2 coils to start? Thanks.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Welcome to RF.

I would just start with the 1.5 coils just incase and put them back in, set the truck down and see. I think every 1/2" is worth 1" of drop tho? Hopefully someone will chime in who has done it.

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
i cut my coils at first then got the ground force but ya you want to go 1.5

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Kind of not what I was looking for but i appreciate the input. I've lowered plenty of vehicles with cut springs and I know how to calculate before and after rates, etc. The plan is to go with a 2/4 down the road but level it for now for NO COST as I will be getting springs when I do the kit. Most kits can't be broken up separately so it makes no sense to double buy. I don't see how people argue you're screwing up a new truck either. Buy some new o.e.m springs and put it back to stock down the road. Big deal. Any way, rant over. So which is it ? 1 1/2 or 2 coils to start? Thanks.

well, maybe what you didnt want to hear, but you asked on an open forum, but good luck.
Me 'personally' would rather lower it correctly, cutting and heating springs to me is a no-no on a new truck, or anything really.

But to each his own.

OP
OP
S

sbwrench

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey no animosity here my friend. 1.5 coils off that spring will give me about a 7% increase in spring rate over stock. I can live with that on the short term to get the look I want of a level truck. When my traveling season ends for work I'll do it the correct way. In my mind that will entail spindles in the front and springs in the rear with trailing arms and panhard rod restored to their proper corrected geometry. If it sees 500 miles with shortened springs I'll be surprised but aesthetically I'll be much happier with it level! We all gather information and try to make the best informed decision for our own needs. Input always appreciated. http://www.ramforum.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
No problem sir, good luck, and please post before and after, like to see it :)

OP
OP
S

sbwrench

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow! Incredibly easy to do on these trucks. Just jack it up by the rear end housing, put some jack stands under the frame rails, lower the rear end, reach in and pop the springs out. No taking shock bolts out, wheels off or anything. Used a cut off wheel to cut the coil. Total time from on it's wheels to back on it's wheels; about an hour. Looks way better and any changes to the ride characteristics are not even noticeable. All in all well worth the time spent. When I get a second I'll post up some pictures. I took photos of the the whole operation if anybody is looking for any of specific steps.

mikeb33

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 2WD express
Engine
I did 1.5 coils and it is perfect. Took less than an hour. Still rides just fine. Do it.

EvanYJ350

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 CC Air Susp
Engine
6.4L 392 c.i.
bump.....

OP
OP
S

sbwrench

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry guys, just saw this. been traveling for work. I cut off 1/1/2 coils. Do you need a picture?

ChicagoBill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thinking about doing this myself and would love to see any images. Thanks!

OP
OP
S

sbwrench

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
jeez. Ok. Here is before:

Attachments

• SAM_0200.jpg
    SAM_0200.jpg