Leveling kit gone wrong

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sams47

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bought a kit from supreme suspensions for my 2003 1500 4.7l 4 door. Put in 2" lift blocks in the rear and re indexed torsion keys. Everything went petty smoothly until I took it for a quick spin and both cv boots happened to rip. (only outers) so I brought the adjusters for the keys way down and that seemed to help the angle of the cv shafts and the stress on the ball joints. Anyways, I love how it sits with the 2 inch blocks in the rear but what should I do so I don't run into replacing cv shafts every 3 months... Can I keep my lift blocks in the rear and just make sure my new torsion keys aren't cranked all the way? Or should I just take out the blocks in the rear and put in my old keys(a.k.a bringing it back to stock height)? Ill be replacing the cv shafts either way but wanted to see if anyone could help. Truck sits exactly how I want it but I'm not going to destroy the front of my truck for a 200 dollar kit. Thanks alot. Any help appreciated at this point

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Usually cranking the torsion bars is only good for a level, anything more than that you will have issues galore. I wouldn't recommend going more than 2" on the stock torsion bars. You can crank the bars to about 2" to be level, but with the 2" blocks in the rear you will still have a rake.
If you want a cheap level I would remove the rear blocks, put the stock keys back in and sell them( aka free). Aftermarket torsion keys are one of the biggest rip offs, just like throttle body spacers.
If you are wanting to be level with the 2" blocks in the rear you will need to source the front components for a 4' Lift kit.

OP
OP
Sams47

Sams47

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks so much. That's what I was afraid of. It's crazy how much stress can be put on the front suspension with these "upgraded" keys. Does cranking the stock keys hurt the cv angles, ball joints, etc. ?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Cranking the stock keys does the exact same thing as the indexed keys. If you only go about 2" like said above you won't put too much stress on the cv joints.

you could aslo take the blocks out fo the rear, just level with the stock keys then get a body lift to get the look you want

OP
OP
Sams47

Sams47

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you so much guys- I'm sure you see plenty of these posts. Already took out the blocks and working on gettin it back to normal.