Lift and Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
looking to do a small lift on my 2017 1500 crew cab ..

looking for a 3" to 4" suspension lift . any suggestions? dont want to do a body lift .

also looking to throw some slightly bigger tires on it, what size and type tire would ya'll recommend. '
currently running BF Goodrich all terrain K02 and not happy with the way they wore out and now the road noise they are makin. i looked at some toyo open country or some nitto ridge grapplers need something good offroad as well as on road ..

thanks

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Zone 4” and on factory wheels you can do 295/60R20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can't really do a 3" lift, exactly.. The front control arms and CV axles have a fixed range of motion so you can either do lifts that change ride height within that range, maximum is around 2.8" there (and starts to introduce compromise at that point) or you can install a lift that relocates your lower arms and axle assembly, minimum is 4" because of spacing requirements.

JayLuke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
I used Bilstein 5100 with Eibach lift springs front (+2.5") and rear (+0.75") and it handled awesome, with 285/70/17 Toyo AT II on Ram Rebel wheels. Then I added in coil air bags in the rear to help with leveling my truck when towing toy hauler trailer.
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4 Tradesmen

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The AEV kit is the way to go if you’re looking for anything over a leveling kit and that’s simple engineering especially as noted by Kurek because of suspension tolerance.
If you’re just looking to level, Bilstein 5100 height adjustable are easy enough but you have to disassemble the front strut assembly. You could also opt for a leveling spacer which mount’s to the top of the strut assembly so you won’t have to take apart the struts. You can run the Metric equivalent 35’s on the latter two and could squeeze a 36’ with AEV.
Which ever you do you may need to run a wheel spacer also with stock wheels or opt for a new tire combo with the correct offset.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
looking to do a small lift on my 2017 1500 crew cab ..

looking for a 3" to 4" suspension lift . any suggestions? dont want to do a body lift .

also looking to throw some slightly bigger tires on it, what size and type tire would ya'll recommend. '
currently running BF Goodrich all terrain K02 and not happy with the way they wore out and now the road noise they are makin. i looked at some toyo open country or some nitto ridge grapplers need something good offroad as well as on road ..

thanks

What's your budget?
Will you be installing this yourself or using a shop?
What size tires did you want?
Will you be using stock wheels or aftermarket?

I have the BDS lift, but most here go with Zone or Superlift.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Questions above ^ plus you mention on road off road tires. Do you want the lift to fit larger tires for off road purposes or just want it to look more like a truck height with meatier tires. I have you on Toyo at3’s but if you’re doing more off road then the Toyo RT May be a better fit. Need the other questions answered before we can recommend a lift

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ll throw this out there......the AEV lifts is a nice one BUT it’s been discontinued and I’d be wary of buying a lift that the manufacturer doesn't want to build/produce/support any longer.

Just something to consider. AEV is know for quality and one would think you’d have no issue but that one time.......

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I’ll throw this out there......the AEV lifts is a nice one BUT it’s been discontinued and I’d be wary of buying a lift that the manufacturer doesn't want to build/produce/support any longer.

Just something to consider. AEV is know for quality and one would think you’d have no issue but that one time.......

Yes any proprietary lifts are dangerous territory for replacement parts and future changes (upgrades)

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree that the most long term reliable/sustainable/etc stuff is not proprietary but I suspect that - as an extreme/unlikely example - if one of the sweet AEV aluminum lift knuckles became damaged it would be achievable to just replace it (both sides..) with iron ones from a different manufacturer's lift.

I don't think the AEV lift requires hacking your truck up anyway right? So absolute worst scenario you just hit up the scrap yard for some stock parts and get back on the road minus the lift.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The AEV kit is the way to go if you’re looking for anything over a leveling kit and that’s simple engineering especially as noted by Kurek because of suspension tolerance.
If you’re just looking to level, Bilstein 5100 height adjustable are easy enough but you have to disassemble the front strut assembly. You could also opt for a leveling spacer which mount’s to the top of the strut assembly so you won’t have to take apart the struts. You can run the Metric equivalent 35’s on the latter two and could squeeze a 36’ with AEV.
Which ever you do you may need to run a wheel spacer also with stock wheels or opt for a new tire combo with the correct offset.

I think someone posted AEV was not doing 1500 lifts anymore only straight axle lifts

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
AEV made a nice lift but the only one of its kind. Every lift has its pros and cons I personally am not a fan due to their poor customer service. If you have ever tried to get a hold of them you’ll most likely know what I’m talking about. Their current pricing is in line with popular lifts but they did not always have the prices you are seeing today.
Zone will always be the best bang for the buck for 4th gen rams because the pros out weigh the cons. maybe we’ll see something different for the 5th gens

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree that the most long term reliable/sustainable/etc stuff is not proprietary but I suspect that - as an extreme/unlikely example - if one of the sweet AEV aluminum lift knuckles became damaged it would be achievable to just replace it (both sides..) with iron ones from a different manufacturer's lift.

I don't think the AEV lift requires hacking your truck up anyway right? So absolute worst scenario you just hit up the scrap yard for some stock parts and get back on the road minus the lift.

AEV requires the crossmember to be cut similar to the other brands.

2491CA1B-65AB-4C79-AB6E-741DBBD21CA9.jpeg

AEV made a nice lift but the only one of its kind. Every lift has its pros and cons

It’s a nice kit but I think it falls short on the rear lift, it’s just a big spacer below the coil. If I had this kit I would swap that with lift coils asap.

417BEAD0-09CE-4854-ACE0-FF854BBD1089.jpeg

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Side note.....AEV shows the 1500 lift kits as OUT OF STOCK now, I guess they finally sold out.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the AEV kit is like their JK kit I had on a wrangler it will make it handle great on the road but far from being as good off road. I eventually sold most all of the AEV parts. I did keep the wheels they were nice.

7C13D63C-E77E-45E4-8788-71F0A0B259B9_1_105_c.jpeg

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the AEV kit is like their JK kit I had on a wrangler it will make it handle great on the road but far from being as good off road. I eventually sold most all of the AEV parts. I did keep the wheels they were nice.

View attachment 226476
Similar concept. expensive brackets, over priced 5100's. Doubt they sold many of them when the kit was around $2k for the RAM? when people can do a 4" zone for $1200 ?

Offroaders in the Jeep world will tyically go with adjustable arms or long arm kits because they don't want the control arms drop brackets acting up like boat anchors in the rocks. Most people who wanted the mall crawler action will do the Rancho drop brackets. Much better price and if i remember correctly better built bracket than AEV. Jeep JK market that is.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The special sauce of the AEV kit I think was the aluminum knuckles to reduce unsprung weight (compared to iron knuckles on other 4"+ kits), which takes a lot of work off the table for the 5100's and also the integrated skidplate/front diff drop bracket that maximizes ground clearance while minimizing weight (compared with a straight-across subframe + skidplate on other 4"+ kits)

Total suspension travel is unchanged because that would be limited by other factors on the truck like arm/axle/driveshaft/etc regardless of whose lift you have. I can't imagine it being "worse" off-road than any other 4" lift unless you were also taking into account your subjective evaluation of the 5100's vs. other shocks - as far as I know there aren't any 4"+ kits that include a whole different class of shocks like King etc.

But the rest of the lift other than those two things is nothing special just spacers.

I'd have bought the AEV kit if it existed when I first lifted my Ram despite that it was more expensive than Zone because the difference in cost is forgotten long before the difference in function goes away. I also did spend more than that on about 2 inches of lift but I did it over time and all the details are worth it to me, if the results speak for themselves.