Lift kit VS height adjustable shocks: better for off road?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Lifting your truck is not smart for going off the road or on bad trails as it screws up the suspension and raises the center of gravity. You truck should already have 8 inches of ground clearance and that is good enough for even the Rubicon Trail if you know what you are doing. Going to larger tires with 3" more height only provides an additional 1.5 inches of ground clearance and only at the differentials. For holes one cannot avoid what matters is the approach angle and this is where a bumper mounted winch can actually be a liability.

One should learn to put a wheel on a large rock or to skirt holes and pick ones way across the terrain. It is why I only buy trucks with true 4WD that have a 2-gear range transfer case. In 2nd gear I can move the truck at 3 mph with an automatic transmission and at 1-2 mph with a manual transmission. The lower the speed at which some part of the truck comes into contact with a rock the less likely or less severe the damage.

Adjustable shocks work for those racing along at 50 MPH or faster or when using a truck for both heavy hauling and for trail running. I use Ranch adjustable shocks so I can have them firm with I have 3000-4000 lbs in the bed and much softer settings when all I have in the truck are passengers and less than 500 lbs. of gear.

The lighter the wheels and tires the easier it is on the truck and on its passengers and the better your shocks will function to dampen spring movement. Going to heavier tires is sometimes needed for increasing payload capacity but it is not a fix for mediocre trail running skills. They do look bad and that is enough for most people.

There is an off road park about 40 miles from my house and the Hummer company has done customer training on its trails which have sections that are as bad as any one will encounter anywhere. I saw Hummers negotiate the course with their oversized tires and front and rear locking differentials all day long and the only differences were in the skill of the drivers or their willingness to listen to the instructors. At the end of the day after the Hummer owners were heading off I saw a tiny Suzuki Brat with factory tires and no lift, with mom and dad and two children negotiate even the toughest parts of the course with ease. It was instructive and provided a different perspective and I have driven my 7 4WD trucks and 3 4WD SUVs and 3 Willys jeeps on trails all over the western USA.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
^^^ [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Fox 2.5 shocks will be at my door in about 10-14 days. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to put them on before Christmas!
It’s a long wait, but I’ve been wanting these for so long, what’s another few weeks?

OP
OP
bruiserRAM

bruiserRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Update...

I went ahead and purchased the Icon Stage 2 setup (2.5" Coilovers adjustable to .75"-2.5" lift, 2.0" aluminum monotube rears with extended travel, 1.5" extended dual rate/progressive coil springs) and an Icon Delta Joint UCA!

Yea....I spent more on this than a mid priced lift kit...But hopefully it will pay off in performance! Actually getting pretty amped up!

Thanks to Nick at GotExhaust for making it affordable enough to become a reality....now to wait on my shipment...after Black Friday.

*crickets...*

, set the front coilovers at 2.25 or 2.5”, ask the alignment shop for 5* caster, get 35’s under there and enjoy.

so.....with an impending Icon upgrade and the subsequent alignment...why 5* caster? Is that something I should really truly walk in and ask for? Don't know **** about alignment specs....

Thanks!

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update...

I went ahead and purchased the Icon Stage 2 setup (2.5" Coilovers adjustable to .75"-2.5" lift, 2.0" aluminum monotube rears with extended travel, 1.5" extended dual rate/progressive coil springs) and an Icon Delta Joint UCA!

Yea....I spent more on this than a mid priced lift kit...But hopefully it will pay off in performance! Actually getting pretty amped up!

Thanks to Nick at GotExhaust for making it affordable enough to become a reality....now to wait on my shipment...after Black Friday.

*crickets...*

so.....with an impending Icon upgrade and the subsequent alignment...why 5* caster? Is that something I should really truly walk in and ask for? Don't know **** about alignment specs....

Thanks!
Unless Nick has this things in stock, the order will come straight from Icon to him, then to you, or straight from Icon to you, so it takes a couple of weeks before they ship.

Positive caster in general moves the axis of the steering knucle a tiny bit forward, which makes the steering a bit more stable at high speed offroad/promotes a quicker steering self centering after a turn, and in my case, a tiny more positive caster helped running 35's with 2" lift in the front without rubbing.i'm at 4.5* left, 5* caster right, don't know what it's on the RAM geometry than the alignment can't be 5*on both sides, but the 2 shops that have touched the alignment have indicated the adjustment on the driver side can't be set the same as the passenger, don't know why. The most important thing to look forward when you get into the alignment with your aligment shop is to ask for 4-5* caster, 0* or slight neg camber, and whatver toe-out they deem is ok within the specs.

PerfectCreature

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unless Nick has this things in stock, the order will come straight from Icon to him, then to you, or straight from Icon to you, so it takes a couple of weeks before they ship.

Positive caster in general moves the axis of the steering knucle a tiny bit forward, which makes the steering a bit more stable at high speed offroad/promotes a quicker steering self centering after a turn, and in my case, a tiny more positive caster helped running 35's with 2" lift in the front without rubbing.i'm at 4.5* left, 5* caster right, don't know what it's on the RAM geometry than the alignment can't be 5*on both sides, but the 2 shops that have touched the alignment have indicated the adjustment on the driver side can't be set the same as the passenger, don't know why. The most important thing to look forward when you get into the alignment with your aligment shop is to ask for 4-5* caster, 0* or slight neg camber, and whatver toe-out they deem is ok within the specs.
Is this the case for most levels? Or only Icon kit specific.

PerfectCreature

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good information to know. I will have to tell my shop this when I get the coilovers installed.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well what that heck, i just placed my order of King 2.5 Coilovers with res front and rear.
Can't help myself when i see this damn deals, and King is King :)
Specs:
Rear
King 2.5 25001-208, 27.25" extended, 17.50 compressed, pretty much the same as my Rancho rear shocks, so i won't loose any flex, and still have reservoirs and a bigger displacement shock.

Front:
King 25001-207, 22.50 extended, 16.84 compressed, 1" longer than my Rancho struts.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Total Chaos UCA's tonight as well, but i want to take it easy, and like i said, the Zone UCA's i have are 4-5 months old, the Rancho have the same age, but it was always my idea to just move them out of the way to be my backup setup.

Good luck with whatever you decide Victor.

Have you received your new shocks yet?

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, me either. Still waiting on my Fox 2.5 This waiting makes me want to get new upper control arms.

Goose_1327

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lol, i know it's expensive, my setup with Radflo will be around $2300 with res front and rear, that's the cheapest i've found them online, i already have the Zone UCA's, and the Icon 1.5" springs, though i wish i've gone with Total Chaos UCA right from the start, oh well, Zones are still new so what that heck ..

If you go with 6112's, check the 2.75" spring from Eibach with the 6112's at 0" lift, i think that will be a solid setup for a full size pickup truck that will see some spirited bashing ocasionally, and at half price than 2.5 coilovers, they're also rebuildable,so that's another plus, for the back i'll go Icon 2.0's, they're diggresive like the 6112's, so they should match well, they're built better than the 5100 series from Bilstein, and they can be rebuilt as well.

Have fun.

What is your opinion on the Icon delta UCAs? I can’t find much on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is your opinion on the Icon delta UCAs? I can’t find much on them.

They have the delta joints, which are supposed to be the best of both worlds, they have the strength of the uniballs with the sealing/durability and high angle of the traditional BJ’s, so if you live in the salt belt, this will be ones to have, Uniballs can be noisy if you don't lube them (most dry PTFE lubricatns will work), just keep the uniballs clean and lubed and they should be noise free (i used to do this ones a month with my Total chaos), the Delta joints won't requiere this much maintenance.

Goose_1327

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They have the delta joints, which are supposed to be the best of both worlds, they have the strength of the uniballs with the sealing/durability and high angle of the traditional BJ’s, so if you live in the salt belt, this will be ones to have, Uniballs can be noisy if you don't lube them (most dry PTFE lubricatns will work), just keep the uniballs clean and lubed and they should be noise free (i used to do this ones a month with my Total chaos), the Delta joints won't requiere this much maintenance.

Thanks for the info and video! You’re definitely more than helpful when it comes to suspension!

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m jealous. Those are so sexy looking!

I was told I’m looking at February before I get my Fox’s

I would have went with King but I already have the Fox 2.0 front and rear of my truck. So upgrading to the front 2.5 still keeps everything the same.
I’m weird like that. :(

And being weird made me have to spend $1800 for something I can only see pictures of for 3 months.

Is this what ordering a mail order bride feels like?