Lift kit VS height adjustable shocks: better for off road?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m jealous. Those are so sexy looking!

I was told I’m looking at February before I get my Fox’s

I would have went with King but I already have the Fox 2.0 front and rear of my truck. So upgrading to the front 2.5 still keeps everything the same.
I’m weird like that. :(

And being weird made me have to spend $1800 for something I can only see pictures of for 3 months.

Is this what ordering a mail order bride feels like?
Hang in there, the difference should be noticeable and worth the waiting.

OP
OP
bruiserRAM

bruiserRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Still waiting on my Icon stage 2 + Delta Joint UCAs. Should be here early January sometime per Icon. I suppose thats fine because I probably wouldn't have time to install them during the holidays anyway!

Funny thing is...I decided to go with the Icon setup over the Bilstein 6112s partly because the Bils were out of stock until March, according to Bilstein. However, I just started to notice a few sets of them in stock on bilsteinlifts.com!

Ha...Oh well, noting wrong with having top tier **** I guess! :)

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I just grabbed the last pair in stock on car id. SUPPOSEDLY. I'll believe it when I get the box in hand. But fingers crossed. You definitely have a worth while upgrade for sure. Mine will spend life gobbling pot holes and looking cool, and may get dirty once a year so suffice to say for me they will be overkill. I love how nobody ever has info on things anymore. The poor guys at the vendors just fly by wire dealing with us, and bilstein doin whatever they want.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Soooooooo any updates......you are gonna be the icon feedback guy ya know

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Soooooooo any updates......you are gonna be the icon feedback guy ya know

He got the ICON parts! They look great. Cant wait until he installs them and provides 1st impressions

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
He got the ICON parts! They look great. Cant wait until he installs them and provides 1st impressions
Sweet! Victor....waiting on you bud!!!! Lol stoked to see the diverse setups and feedback we're all running.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sweet! Victor....waiting on you bud!!!! Lol stoked to see the diverse setups and feedback we're all running.

Yes the forum is starting to have a nice mix of suspension set ups. We got OE replacement up to 2.5 coil overs. Also different brands, ICON, King, Fox, Teraflex, Eibach, Bilstein, etc...

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Yes the forum is starting to have a nice mix of suspension set ups. We got OE replacement up to 2.5 coil overs. Also different brands, ICON, King, Fox, Teraflex, Eibach, Bilstein, etc...
We got it all mang! Mild to wild.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Sooooo.......these icons......they didn't install themselves did they

OP
OP
bruiserRAM

bruiserRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sooooo.......these icons......they didn't install themselves did they

I was hoping they would....

But I finally had to do it myself.

Just put them in today!

Will create a build thread as promised...as time allows. Full time ++ night shift job makes time precious...

IMG_20190211_235151_247.jpg

IMG_20190212_001802_254.jpg

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How is the ride Victor?
Did you have to adjust the CO’s or they came at 2.5” already? I notice they’re almost all the way to the max.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bruiserRAM

bruiserRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
How is the ride Victor?
Did you have to adjust the CO’s or they came at 2.5” already? I notice they’re almost all the way to the max.

Ride is great actually! Better than expected. While i was getting everything ready to install the night before, I kept doubting I'd get what I paid for. I think I was wrong. Took it on some dirt close to my house and went fast...and slow...and it was noticeably better. When you hit a dip, the truck dives into it like before, but then somehow just suddenly stops diving...then you come out of it, and the truck rises back up, like before...but again, immediately stabilizes back to level and rock solid before you know it. The damping is damn good. Haven't been cornering hard because the camber is way too positive and I'll be into the sidewalls. Flex seems good. HAven't measured droop etc yet. Will likely add hose clamps and brake line extender bracket like you...

Harsh speed bumps feel better too. Although, I noticed a clunk in the rear while going over them, especially slowly. Pulled over and hopped into my bed. Even light bouncing in the bed recreates this. I THINK it's the top portion of the coils clicking together. They are so close together with unloaded bed, but not touching (I have a Quad cab so my rear is even lighter than yours). Any slight loading event clicks them together it seems. Don't hear the clunk under normal driving or harsh runs. Hopefully not a problem functionally because they're obviously designed that way, but I still don't like the clunk. Meh.

I did not adjust the coilover preload.

From ICON's intructions: "2. YOUR ICON COILOVER ASSEMBLIES COME SHIPPED AT ICON’S RECOMMENDED RIDE HEIGHT. REDUCING DROOP TRAVEL WILL REDUCE RIDE QUALITY. DO NOT PRELOAD THE COIL BEYOND 1.50” OF EXPOSED THREADS BETWEEN THE BOTTOM OF THE TOP CAP AND THE TOP OF THE COIL ADJUSTER NUT. ADJUSTING PRELOAD BEYOND THIS SETTING WILL REDUCE THREAD ENGAGEMENT WHICH WILL LEAD TO DAMAGE NOT COVERED UNDER ICON’S WARRANTY POLICY."

As shipped and installed, the space was 1" exactly. ICON told me over the phone they come set at about 2.0" lift. I was expecting to have to crank them up another 1/2"...but, weird thing is....my truck actually went up about an inch from my previous level! I had Daystar's 2.5" spacers on (installed when purchased, so I never knew my base/stock height). I went from ~38.5 with the Daystars to ~39.5 with ICONs, after about 20 miles of settling. I stupidly didn't measure from hub to fender, I did from ground to fender...obviously meaning the tire pressure is now involved. Grrrr.

I'm now wondering (hoping?) about more settling happening...and maybe things lowering in front after the alignment because of my current very positive camber?

About to go drive it a lot and measure in diff parking lots etc. I MAY crank it down a tiny bit...seeing as a benefit of having the rear spring lift was to introduce a little rake back into the truck for loading the bed with camping stuff and not being nose high with a few hundred lbs in back.

Right now...in my driveway I'm at:
FD: 39 1/4 FP: 39 1/2
RD: 40 1/2 RP: 39 7/8
rake: 1 1/4 rake: 1/4

Hmmmm. Ok with the Drivers side rake...less so with the passenger side!

Obviously more to come on this!

IMG_20190211_102144.jpg
IMG_20190211_173837.jpg

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Were the rear coils side specific, might be part of the side to side difference like I had. And my bilstein rear coils have a rubber around the top few winds, I assume to keep from hearing the coils clicking under compression. Those wheels are ugly, send them to me :) get it aligned and let things settle before you need with final adjustments. Mine settled in a lot. I have 285s, ill go measure my heights.

Looks great enjoy it!!!

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bruiserRAM

bruiserRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hmmm, I don't think they are, but I didn't check closely. Do you know, @ram1500rsm ??

Yes, I put the stock top rubber washer/isolator on the new coils, but it only goes between last coil and frame.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ride is great actually! Better than expected. While i was getting everything ready to install the night before, I kept doubting I'd get what I paid for. I think I was wrong. Took it on some dirt close to my house and went fast...and slow...and it was noticeably better. When you hit a dip, the truck dives into it like before, but then somehow just suddenly stops diving...then you come out of it, and the truck rises back up, like before...but again, immediately stabilizes back to level and rock solid before you know it. The damping is damn good. Haven't been cornering hard because the camber is way too positive and I'll be into the sidewalls. Flex seems good. HAven't measured droop etc yet. Will likely add hose clamps and brake line extender bracket like you...

Harsh speed bumps feel better too. Although, I noticed a clunk in the rear while going over them, especially slowly. Pulled over and hopped into my bed. Even light bouncing in the bed recreates this. I THINK it's the top portion of the coils clicking together. They are so close together with unloaded bed, but not touching (I have a Quad cab so my rear is even lighter than yours). Any slight loading event clicks them together it seems. Don't hear the clunk under normal driving or harsh runs. Hopefully not a problem functionally because they're obviously designed that way, but I still don't like the clunk. Meh.

I did not adjust the coilover preload.

From ICON's intructions: "2. YOUR ICON COILOVER ASSEMBLIES COME SHIPPED AT ICON’S RECOMMENDED RIDE HEIGHT. REDUCING DROOP TRAVEL WILL REDUCE RIDE QUALITY. DO NOT PRELOAD THE COIL BEYOND 1.50” OF EXPOSED THREADS BETWEEN THE BOTTOM OF THE TOP CAP AND THE TOP OF THE COIL ADJUSTER NUT. ADJUSTING PRELOAD BEYOND THIS SETTING WILL REDUCE THREAD ENGAGEMENT WHICH WILL LEAD TO DAMAGE NOT COVERED UNDER ICON’S WARRANTY POLICY."

As shipped and installed, the space was 1" exactly. ICON told me over the phone they come set at about 2.0" lift. I was expecting to have to crank them up another 1/2"...but, weird thing is....my truck actually went up about an inch from my previous level! I had Daystar's 2.5" spacers on (installed when purchased, so I never knew my base/stock height). I went from ~38.5 with the Daystars to ~39.5 with ICONs, after about 20 miles of settling. I stupidly didn't measure from hub to fender, I did from ground to fender...obviously meaning the tire pressure is now involved. Grrrr.

I'm now wondering (hoping?) about more settling happening...and maybe things lowering in front after the alignment because of my current very positive camber?

About to go drive it a lot and measure in diff parking lots etc. I MAY crank it down a tiny bit...seeing as a benefit of having the rear spring lift was to introduce a little rake back into the truck for loading the bed with camping stuff and not being nose high with a few hundred lbs in back.

Right now...in my driveway I'm at:
FD: 39 1/4 FP: 39 1/2
RD: 40 1/2 RP: 39 7/8
rake: 1 1/4 rake: 1/4

Hmmmm. Ok with the Drivers side rake...less so with the passenger side!

Obviously more to come on this!

View attachment 155272
View attachment 155273
I also have a clunk over speed bumps, it's weird cause it only happens if i'm rolling over them slowly, i thought it could be related to a loose body mount, so i went over them this morning with a big break bar and applied a touch more force into those bolts to tight them up couple of notches, will see if that was it, could be also related to how close the springs are like you said, i posted a picture for somebody the other day that was having a clunk over speed bumps, and his stop told him the issue was more likely due to how close the spring coil bound are in this progressive springs.

Also all the springs will settle some, check your measurements again after a few hunred miles. I had to readjust my Coilovers after a few hundred miles to go back to 39 1/2 in the front (2 full turns from i had them originally), my driver side CO was one thread higher than the passenger stock,
One of my Icon springs was a tiny bit longer, about 1/8", i thought manufacturer tolerance. I threw that one in the driver side just in case since the driver side is the side that has the gas tank, i'm at 40" in the back, sometimes it appears the difference is about 1/8" more or less depending, same for the front, it depends where i park so i don't bother too much :)

Edited: my rear measurement is 41" on both sides.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bruiserRAM

bruiserRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Also all the springs will settle some, check your measurements again after a few hunred miles. I had to readjust my Coilovers after a few hundred miles to go back to 39 1/2 in the front (2 full turns from i had them originally), my driver side CO was one thread higher than the passenger stock

same here, it's about 1/16 more space between the adjuster ring and the top cap on the drivers side from ICON.

Did you get your's realligned after you adjusted them 2 turns? Truck's on stands again right now and I'm itching to turn them down 2 turns (1/4")...

I've driven about 80 miles since install, on all terrain. Right now, rake averages 1" on driver side, and 13/16" on passenger side.

I'm getting it aligned tomorrow, but don't wanna have to change it later (up or down!) and get it realigned. Hmmmm...

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
same here, it's about 1/16 more space between the adjuster ring and the top cap on the drivers side from ICON.

Did you get your's realligned after you adjusted them 2 turns? Truck's on stands again right now and I'm itching to turn them down 2 turns (1/4")...

I've driven about 80 miles since install, on all terrain. Right now, rake averages 1" on driver side, and 13/16" on passenger side.

I'm getting it aligned tomorrow, but don't wanna have to change it later (up or down!) and get it realigned. Hmmmm...
Yes i did, I took the deal from Firestone for $170 lifetime aligment so in theory i can go as many times as i want. It comes handy if you're driving through some rocks over some weekends, it doesn't take much for this damn IFS to get out of aligment under those conditions :), or if you want to play with the coilovers haha.

I know you have the itch to adjust now but just wait, they'll go down a little more. i had to adjust them after about 500-600 miles or so and i literally gave her hell next day to brake the suckers in so that didn't matter much, i lost about 1/4-3/8" once they settled in.

Front is 39.5"
Rear is 41"
315/70/17 tires

Last edited:
OP
OP
bruiserRAM

bruiserRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Edited to delete my overthinking.

Cant decide what setting to put them at before alignment today at noon (it's 1am now!)

Maybe I should sleep on it...

Edited again to say I slept on it. I'm taking advice from you all, to leave them as is (well...I did adjust them lower by two turns...but put them back a few hours later...put a couple love marks in the paint on the adjuster nut too, dammit!).

I'll drive for a couple months, then revisit it later. I'll just get another alignment then, which I'll probably want anyway if they really do drop up to 3/8"

No Firestone here....only locally owned shops here in rural California. We don't even have a Walmart (thank goodness.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990