Lift pump issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikemc53

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
This just started a few days ago. First of all it is a 2004.5 Ram 3500, 5.9L HO. When I turn the key in the ignition to the "run" position the pump (Fass) now runs about 25 seconds, when it used to run about a second or 2. It is also very loud.

I can start the truck anytime during this 25 second run-up and then the pump will continue to run and stay very loud after start-up. If I let the pump run until it shuts off I can start the truck and the pump will not be running...initially. Then it will sporadically go on and off (again quite loud) but if I hit the accelerator as soon as it starts, it will stop...and then in about 10-15 seconds it will do it again.

Sounds like the pump is going but, then again, it could be a filter issue or tank issue. I checked the lines at the pump and they seem to be on clean with no air suction issues.

Thoughts? I am supposed to take a short trip (about 120 miles) on Monday and have little time to do anything with this.

dmuney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L HO Cummins
Take your filters off and remove the tube that goes Dow inside the filter make sure there isn't a piece of something sucked up in there. Sounds like your fass pump is cavitating which would make it very loud or its time for a pump

05 2500 4WD swb AFE intake Edge Attitude 4"ex down 1/2 cylinder White on Black

BWC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Is it holding pressure just fine? Yeah sounds like something could be in the filters.