Lifters keep failing in "rebuilt" engine! ADVICE?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I replaced all the lifters myself over the weekend. The pushrods still looked flawless so I reused them (installed them the exact way they came out). Torqued everything to spec, soaked the lifters for 4 hours before install, got it all back together, I used mopar oem lifters, and it was pretty noisy on first start up, but it quitened down after about 10 minutes of idling,, but Still have somewhat decent ticking coming from the driver side, going to pull the valve covers this weekend and see if I can find the culprit.... Can anyone explain what this Liqui-Moli actually does?
It could take a while for all the lifters to get pumped up and all the noise to go away. Make sure all the pushrods are locked into the rockers correctly and everything is tightened down correctly. It's very possible you may just have to put a few miles on the motor before all the lifters are fully pumped up. Here's a few videos to check out.

MudSkipper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
is it the same sound left to right? Listen at each fender.

Is it louder "up top"? You didn't open hood but did underneath. Maybe you don't have exhaust connectors tight, those can be a ***** sometimes.

I don't think i am hearing a "double tap", I think its "once" per fire from that RPM. Here is lifter failure, youll notice the sound is typically "doubled" hit once... almost like a grinding... Yours seems to be one cylinder.. firing... https://youtu.be/tG-x_EKhLNw?t=133

Last edited:
OP
OP
nicko368

nicko368

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Open the hood and make another video from both top and bottom with the hood open this time around.
Here are 2 more vids. Up top, and down closer to where the sound is coming from. I don't feel any leaks anywhere. I'm wondering if a failing injector could be doing this.... Would a slight misfire cause slack in the valvetrain during operation?

OP
OP
nicko368

nicko368

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
is it the same sound left to right? Listen at each fender.

Is it louder "up top"? You didn't open hood but did underneath. Maybe you don't have exhaust connectors tight, those can be a ***** sometimes.

I don't think i am hearing a "double tap", I think its "once" per fire from that RPM. Here is lifter failure, youll notice the sound is typically "doubled" hit once... almost like a grinding... Yours seems to be one cylinder.. firing... https://youtu.be/tG-x_EKhLNw?t=133
Definitely more prominent on the driver's side... the passenger side is pretty dang quiet in relation...

MudSkipper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
damn... so you never touched the exhaust header bolts right? i don't see any broken, but the noise is def in that trouble area of an exhaust leak and sounds like one. Your bolts don't seem rusted (I've seen them break the tops off so you can't tell if they are broken).

MudSkipper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What i mean is there is a double "cap" nut where they hold the heat shields on. They can be broken underneath and you cant see them.

Take those nuts off, soak em with liquid wrench then take off those back "top" nuts.

OP
OP
nicko368

nicko368

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What i mean is there is a double "cap" nut where they hold the heat shields on. They can be broken underneath and you cant see them.

Take those nuts off, soak em with liquid wrench then take off those back "top" nuts.
Just did this about 20 minutes ago. All manifold bolts are good. The only logical thing I can think of now is that the cam is garbage.... I'm really just completely disappointed in this engine... her next stop is the "Park and Sell" lot. Appreciate all you guys advice and help. Best of luck on y'all's hemis.

burner71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know that I am hearing anything completely out of the norm in those last videos. Sounds like lots of injector clicking and mechanical noise.
Are you getting misfire codes?

OP
OP
nicko368

nicko368

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know that I am hearing anything completely out of the norm in those last videos. Sounds like lots of injector clicking and mechanical noise.
Are you getting misfire codes?
No misfire codes. Slightly rough idle and you can really hear it while slowing down when it downshifts and starts sort of engine braking at low rpm around 1200rpm. I really don't think my phone is picking up the slight metal to metal sound. When you wind it up around 1500rpm plus it's like it tightens up and fades away as if it whatever it is doesn't have the time to gain the slack to slap.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
What weight oil are you using?

What oil filter are you using?

How many miles on the newly rebuilt engine?

OP
OP
nicko368

nicko368

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What weight oil are you using?

What oil filter are you using?

How many miles on the newly rebuilt engine?
6k on rebuilt engine. 700 on it since I've installed the new lifters. Pennzoil platinum 5w30. Mopar filter. LiquiMoly arrives in the mail tomorrow

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
6k on rebuilt engine. 700 on it since I've installed the new lifters. Pennzoil platinum 5w30. Mopar filter. LiquiMoly arrives in the mail tomorrow
Did you happen to buy this engine from a guy who goes by the name Hemi Doc on facebook?

OP
OP
nicko368

nicko368

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you happen to buy this engine from a guy who goes by the name Hemi Doc on facebook?
A guy named Marco. He is out of Phillipsburg, MO. All his posts on Facebook go by "Hemi Builder". He talked a big talk and pretended to be a nice guy until he got my $4K and it started failing left and right. Actually In the process of going to small claims right now, because the initial fail was because he caked rtv silicone EVERYWHERE and it was bundled up in the thermostat and caused it to get close to 240° and that's when it failed, on top of that, he left numerous sensors unplugged and dangling, and just did an absolute terrible job installing... I should've just bought a Jasper and installed it myself but I'm a single dad with 2 toddlers and couldn't find the time... so now I'm this this craphole.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
A guy named Marco. He is out of Phillipsburg, MO. All his posts on Facebook go by "Hemi Builder". He talked a big talk and pretended to be a nice guy until he got my $4K and it started failing left and right. Actually In the process of going to small claims right now, because the initial fail was because he caked rtv silicone EVERYWHERE and it was bundled up in the thermostat and caused it to get close to 240° and that's when it failed, on top of that, he left numerous sensors unplugged and dangling, and just did an absolute terrible job installing... I should've just bought a Jasper and installed it myself but I'm a single dad with 2 toddlers and couldn't find the time... so now I'm this this craphole.
Yea i've seen his posts,he had one up yesterday asking about putting a 6.4 rotating assembly into a used 6.2 BGE block,and couldn't figure out why the crank wouldn't turn over after he tightened the rod caps.He has a rep of re-using used parts and selling engines as rebuilt with used parts in them.Hate to say anything,but you've been taken.I hope you get something back out of small claims

OP
OP
nicko368

nicko368

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea i've seen his posts,he had one up yesterday asking about putting a 6.4 rotating assembly into a used 6.2 BGE block,and couldn't figure out why the crank wouldn't turn over after he tightened the rod caps.He has a rep of re-using used parts and selling engines as rebuilt with used parts in them.Hate to say anything,but you've been taken.I hope you get something back out of small claims
Yeah, I mean I'm pretty mechanically inclined... I've rebuilt many 5.0s and and 4.6s (back before my kids came, and time was of no issue for me), because I find them merely bulletproof and have always had a deep love for them. I just happened to get a major deal on the Ram and hadn't been around the Hemi block much. But after the second fail and listening to him talk, I couldn't take the nonsense anymore and loaded it right back up on the trailer and brought it home to do it myself. I know I really screwed myself but, you live, you learn. My attorney thinks I have a really good case though and really doesn't see me having an issue with the suit.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
(Edited)

Last edited:

MudSkipper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would take a warm engine sample and send it out to blackstone... I would do that now.

Yeah im afraid you should have replaced the cam. A bad cam would have damaged your new lifter. I thought the cam had been replaced already.

I can see it making that noise with a damaged cam (that dude selling you an engine and then swapping in some new lifters with a damage cam is a *****).

You could have a very slight damaged lobe... it will kill that lifter in no time, will get worse quickly...

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I mean I'm pretty mechanically inclined... I've rebuilt many 5.0s and and 4.6s (back before my kids came, and time was of no issue for me), because I find them merely bulletproof and have always had a deep love for them. I just happened to get a major deal on the Ram and hadn't been around the Hemi block much. But after the second fail and listening to him talk, I couldn't take the nonsense anymore and loaded it right back up on the trailer and brought it home to do it myself. I know I really screwed myself but, you live, you learn. My attorney thinks I have a really good case though and really doesn't see me having an issue with the suit.
ARGH, sounds like you have learned a lil, best wishes ref court and getting things sorted out.