Lifting and Tires on 2014 1500 with Bil 5100s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jd1wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Gents,

Thanks for the wealth of collective wisdom in these forums. I'm getting ready to lift my 2014 Ram 1500 and get rid of the factory tires (which are the worst tires known to man). I work on my own vehicles, but I'm a total ****** when it comes to upgrading a truck. I have searched the forums and found a bunch of solid info scattered around. I just need you fine people to make sure I am not off track.

I want to lift the truck a bit (around 2 inches) and keep the factory rake since I do tow/haul a bit. I also want to get some larger tires (wider tread and bigger sidewall for off-roading). I don't really want to mess with spacers or offset or anything like that. Baby steps! Based on what I have read in the forums, my plan is to:

1. Install Adjustable Bil 5100s in the front and raise it up about 2 inches.
2. Install Bil 5100s in the rear (totally optional, I understand), with a 2 inch spacer to keep most of the factory rake.
3. I have factory 20" rims (factory tire is 275/60R20). I *THINK* I can upgrade to 285/65R20 (approx. 34.5 diameter) and not rub and not need spacers or anything special. They will be AT tires. If I have to choose between a taller or wider tire, I would choose taller just so the wheel well doesn’t look empty. Will this fit or will I be rubbing?

Am I going down the right track with this or am I completely off the reservation? Besides the 2-3mph speedo difference and the fuel economy from the lift, am I going to notice any other difference or change? What am I missing? On behalf of all noobs everywhere, thank you.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
285/65/20's will fit with no issues at 2".

I ran them with my Bils set @ 2.1" before I had the 4" lift installed

Personally, I'd get 1" spacers for the rear, you'll still have plenty of rake left.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Exactly what 6.7CumminsDrvr said above. No issues with that setup but I would recommend a 1" rear spacer as well as that will still leave you with about 2" of rake depending on your factory rake.

OP
OP
J

jd1wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
If I do a lot of hauling a towing, why would I want to remove some of the rake by putting a 2" on the front and only 1" spacer on the rear? Is there some benefit besides aesthetics? Am I misunderstanding the geometry change with the lift? Thanks.

OP
OP
J

jd1wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
When I throw a quad in the bed and hook up my trailer, my bed sinks to about even with the front. I see a lot of guys who level out there trucks... Is there a functional benefit to leveling?

OP
OP
J

jd1wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I'm looking at tires and there are a lot more 275/65R20s than 285/65R20s. Do I even need a lift to run 275/65s (34.1" diameter)????

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Well, answer you why one inch, instead of two inch, one inch will do nothing to your rear end. two might need other parts or stress OEM Parts. that is the biggest reason most only go with one inch.

If your needs drop that rear, THAT MUCH< then add some springs that can handle the weight, which is causing you truck to drop so much.

285 are harder to find and cost a lot more too,for not much more gain. to me, 275/65/20 just looks right. righter, more right, however one says it. though there are those that love them some 35"x12's

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can sure run 2" spacers out back but be prepared for some quirky handling. 2" dosent sound like much but with a 4 link and track bar setup, you are going to start pushing the suspension out of spec. IIRC, it will pull your axle to the passenger side so when you hit a bump at speed the feeling of your rear end pitching one way or the other is magnified a bit. It's an inherent motion with this type rear setup. Can you run a 2" spacer, sure, folks do it all the time, just understand and be prepared for what comes with it.

Last edited:

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You can sure run 2" spacers out back but be prepared for some quirky handling. 2" dosent sound like much but with a 4 link and track bar setup, you are going to start pushing the suspension out of spec. IIRC, it will pull your axle to the passenger side so when you hit a bump at speed the feeling of your rear end pitching one way or the other is magnified a bit. It's an inherent motion with this type rear setup. Can you run a 2" spacer, sure, folks do it all the time, just understand and be prepared for what comes with it.

exactly. you would be far better off with a 1 inch spacer and a set of airbags to keep the truck level.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jd1wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Yeah, I was doing some reading and a 1" spacer is the most I can run with 5100 Bils on the rear. I also think I am going to run with 275/65R20s, which are 34.1" in diameter. I'm thinking lift the rear 1" and the front 2" (or maybe less). Just enough to clear the tires. Thanks for all the good info. I can't wait to get the OEM Wranglers of my truck. Not only do they not look like truck tires, they don't perform like them either. Do you guys run with a full-size spare under the bed? My truck came with a 17" steel wheel and tire that looks like it came off of a KIA. I'd like to get something that will match my larger tire (and get me out of the backcountry). I'm having trouble finding a 20" wheel with a large enough center hole to fit the spare-lift thingy.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
you could put a bigger tire on the 17" wheel to match, or get a 20" spare from a 3rd gen truck.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With a 2/1 F/R setup, I beleive the 275/65/20 route is the way to go, your truck will look bery, bery niiiice.

Fergeson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well right now I'm running 275/65/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers AT on the 20" stock chrome clad wheels at stock height quad cab 4x4 not rubbing at all.

OP
OP
J

jd1wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Well right now I'm running 275/65/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers AT on the 20" stock chrome clad wheels at stock height quad cab 4x4 not rubbing at all.

Really? Is anyone else running that set up? I've got a crew cab 4x4... Not sure if/how that changes geometry. If that will work on my truck, it is great news.

OP
OP
J

jd1wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
you could put a bigger tire on the 17" wheel to match, or get a 20" spare from a 3rd gen truck.

The 20" spares are apparently only on Laramie Limited models, and I have been unable to find an OEM replacement or part number. Not for lack of trying... What does everyone else do? Do they just roll with the 17" temp use spare and hope for the best?

sriley531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it, but why not lift/level it how you want and just add some airlift bags to the rear to avoid squatting when you are towing something with some weight to it? I have mine with bils at 2.8 front, 1" rear, and it still has a slight rake but I plan on putting bags in for the occasions I tow my car or haul heavy.

john.dickey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have mine currently at the 1.4" lift. Have not lifted the rear yet or added bags. I will see when i haul something how bad it is. I do want to add the new bilstein 5160 to the rear soon

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fergeson: Well right now I'm running 275/65/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers AT on the 20" stock chrome clad wheels at stock height quad cab 4x4 not rubbing at all.

Really? Is anyone else running that set up? I've got a crew cab 4x4... Not sure if/how that changes geometry. If that will work on my truck, it is great news.

i am running stock 275/60/20 BFG all terrains on the 20" chrome clads as well. i have a crew cab 4x4, but i put on the bils at 2.1, no spacer in the back, just the bils up front

here is a pic, i can take a better one, this one is on a slight incline to my shop.

Luke

Attachments

• lukedukemnewtruck.jpg
    lukedukemnewtruck.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 88

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I added Bilsteins set at 1.4" in the front, and added TTC-1223v rear springs with 1" Daystar spacers which netted about 1/4" higher rear. The front is raised enough to look good, yet it still has the rake necessary to accommodate a load. It rides quite acceptable. Hopefully the new rear springs will not squat too much once the travel trailer is hooked up and gear loaded. If I have to, I'll probably add those Airlift 1000 bags, but I prefer the KISS principle.

I'm not adding taller tires because I don't want to interfere with the OEM performance, and I don't think think they're needed for the look with minimal lift. But I think I might want to widen the stance a bit at some point. Maybe just a bit wider tire. I think the 20" wheels tend to make the tires look shorter. My last truck had 17" wheels with 33" tires and it looked great. I'm making a point of getting used to the original look. I believe my 1500 will be a better, longer lasting truck this way. JMHO.